Avadon v1.0.3 Public Beta

Spidweb

We have prepared a public beta of the next version of Avadon: The Black Fortress for Macintosh. The next version will be v1.0.3. It can be downloaded here ...

[v1.0.3 has been released. Thanks to everyone who gave feedback!]

and the version history is here ...

v1.0.2 - Skipped this version number due to our own error.

v1.0.3

* Dialogue text is now larger.

* There is now an option on the Settings screen to make most other game text larger as well.

* The Use Ability button is now inactive when it needs to be.

* Several key characters will no longer repeat their dialogue when they shouldn't.

* Many small corrections and typo fixes.

Please feel free to try it out and let me know how it works. Even just being told that everything runs fine helps. You can let us know at support@spiderwebsoftware.com.

- Jeff Vogel

This version runs drastically slower on my computer (ppc running Mac OS X 10.4.11 if that helps).

I tried the opening sequence in both versions several times to be sure: With v1.0, the fps are mostly in the high twenties to low thirties and the animation is smooth.

With 1.0.3, It's less than 10--often as low as four. Needless to say, the animation is agonizingly slow and jerky, and the cursor lags badly.

This makes me glad I made a back-up of the original before installing the new version.

Just a quick question.

Will this patch fix the Aid Shavon Quest bug?

And, if so, how will it resolve the problem? I only ask because, having fought the mother basilisk twice due to the bug, I don't want to install this beta and have it permanently make the quest uncompletable, or something like that.

Matt

PS. Loving the game, this is the only problem I have encountered so far.

@matthoppy: "Will this patch fix the Aid Shavon Quest bug?"

Probably not. I'm not sure what this bug is. Perhaps someone could send a detailed description to support@spiderwebsoftware.com.

@Turtle: I'm not sure why your performance is so poor. The game uses the same code base as v1.0.1, which has not had widespread problems. However, v1.0.3 uses Apple's newer code base (and v1.0 doesn't), so there might be some damaged file on your system that keeps it from running correctly. I'm honestly not sure what would help besides an OS update.

- Jeff Vogel

I didn't bother downloading v1.0.1 (dial-up).

My OS is as up to date as it can be. So I guess my only options are to buy a new computer (not happening any time soon), run v1.0.3 with partial graphics, or stick to v1.0. The minor bugs in the original don't significantly affect playability, but the performance problems with the new version would drive me crazy, so that's an easy call.

But it makes me worry about future Spiderweb offerings. frown