Lower cells quest

spidersilk

I'm on the lower cells quest (looking for Shadow Tarkus), and I've made it all the way down to the bottom (the keepers' crypts) without encountering him yet. But on the second-to-bottom level, the Burial Cells, there's a gate whose opening wheel is on the far side.

I didn't worry about this when I first passed it, because I assumed there'd be two stairways up on the next level down, or something like that. But there wasn't. I tried looking all around for hidden levers, and went back up to the level above the one with the gate just to see if maybe that one had a second down stairway that I'd missed, but I didn't find one.

Anybody know how I can get that gate open? Or is it one of those come-back-for-it-later things?

Yeah, if you make it to the Keepers' Crypt and talk to the 'beard, you can go back to Hand Callan and report the quest finished. As far as I know you can't open that gate. As people have pointed out with his other games, Jeff enjoys putting in a few genuinely inaccessible areas to tease those who want to do everything.