App store version is 1.0.2, $5 cheaper.

Clocknova

Originally Posted By: RDS
You all forgot the best thing about the MAS version..... it useable on 5 Macs.

Avadon uses a more traditional license key, instead of the installation-specific registration code from the previous games. As such, you can install it on as many Macs as you like without asking Jeff for new codes for each installation.

So any news on the Steam version, or is it going to be delayed until the Windows version gets developed?

As for the price difference: you are only getting the Mac version. Some people like to have matching versions of their games for Mac and Windows. Mac App Store apps, by agreement, must not have their own copy protection in them. This means that you can install Avadon on as many Macs as allowed by the MAS EULA.

Originally Posted By: Madd The Sane
So any news on the Steam version, or is it going to be delayed until the Windows version gets developed?

As for the price difference: you are only getting the Mac version. Some people like to have matching versions of their games for Mac and Windows. Mac App Store apps, by agreement, must not have their own copy protection in them. This means that you can install Avadon on as many Macs as allowed by the MAS EULA.

I guess I should have been clearer: I was referring to the SpiderWeb version when I said that you could install it as many times as you wanted (in contrast with the MAS version, whose EULA restricts to 5 installations).

Originally Posted By: Clocknova
I see. I read what Jeff said about Apple's reasoning, but I still find it rather odious and heavy-handed. I really don't like the direction Apple is starting to take on these matters. Still, I'm sure it won't take hackers more skilled than I to find a way to circumvent these protections.

This is how I feel about the App Store in general, and why I flatly refuse to buy any programs through it.

I can see the convenience, but Apple is also throwing in a level of control I just don't like, and I fear that they will try to push all applications to be only available though the App Store. I'd like to let it be known that if you do that you are loosing at least one potential customer. smile

I bought it at Mac App Store, knowing I would give less money to the developer, something not very cool. But Jeff CD are very cheap, and for me too easy to lost. And digital is a little burden. When I buy a game on Steam, GamersGate or Mac App Store I know I'm taking a risk that a day I'll lost forever the game because the source could disappear. But until then, with all three I can install, remove, re install, no worry to keep somewhere a copy backup. It's very very handy.

Also to compensate I think I'll pick the ipad version too, if I really like the game but just for curiosity.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Vent

Also to compensate I think I'll pick the ipad version too, if I really like the game but just for curiosity.

Never good to wake up a dead thread but to put a conclusion of a "story", so yes I'm playing Avadon, I'm right into the second big area (with multiple zones) and it's just too great.

The gamplay is great but the writing, woo, such a mood, good tension building, good building of multiple little mysteries so you get glued to the game, and the zones building, so well done with many little events and stuff that build the zone mood and story.

I wonder if it's me, but it seems Jeff writing was solid, easy to read, but here in Avadon it's just another level, impressive, and so interesting.

So the conclusion of the "story", no doubt I'll bought the ipad version too and the hint book, but also possibly a Windows version or just the full CD version.

Quote:
But who pays more for a loaf of bread if they don't have to?

Dunno, but have you ever tipped at a restaurant?
It's not that different.

I thought about giving Jeff the extra $5 for a while. I was going to do it, but a nagging doubt suggested that the spiderweb.com electronic ordering might take a day or two to clear, whereas MAS is instant. I don't know if that's true or not, but it was enough in my case to push me to MAS.

Originally Posted By: iollmann
I was going to do it, but a nagging doubt suggested that the spiderweb.com electronic ordering might take a day or two to clear, whereas MAS is instant. I don't know if that's true or not, but it was enough in my case to push me to MAS.

Yes it does take a bit to clear, especially when you're in the wrong time zone. It's not normally a problem since you get the demo instantly anyway, unless you wait until the end of the demo before you decide to buy. Of course, in that case you would want to continue playing immediately and waiting a day just wouldn't do smile

I bought the MAS version for two main reasons. One is that I don't want to give my credit card numbers out to more third parties than necessary. The other is that it's less work for me. I would have paid more, especially considering that Apple keeps a 30% share that's probably more than what credit card processing and involved manual work would cost, but like when I'm giving a tip at a restaurant, I will not go to very great lengths to pay more than I am asked. It's also somewhat impolite, following people around and trying to hand them money that they don't want.

On the other hand, buying the MAS version enables you to write reviews. I wrote the first review on the German MAS and it was the only review for over a week. So far, seven customers said it was helpful, so maybe there was an extra sale in there somewhere. Unfortunately it still hasn't been rated often enough for an average (to get stars in the category overview).

Maybe it's worth to note that both the German and US app store entries only have three reviews (all of them five stars of course) and not many users bothered to rate the game (18 on the US store, less than the minimum on the German store). This is comparable to similar games in the same niche, e.g. the Eschalon series, but worse than the average featured title. I'm almost thinking that with the wider potential audience and the game being featured in one of those places where games can get featured on MAS, buying Avadon on MAS and rating it or giving it a good review (good in the sense that it's not just "Great game!" but actually helpful for potential customers) could be worth much more than $5. Especially in the long run when those customers can be converted to Spiderweb fans and will buy future games as well.

If you buy on the spiderweb online store or with that weird "e-mail me and state what you just sent a payment for" thing, you don't get that chance to promote the game. You're just an invisible customer.

Originally Posted By: Left for Dead to Rights

—Alorael, who is most convinced by customer service. If anything goes wrong with his registrations, he knows Spiderweb will fix it. He's asked for plenty of replacement registration codes and there's been no delay and no hassle. The App store has some security built in, but if things go wrong or you lose access to your account, well, you end up paying again. That's $5 of insurance.

Wait a sec, whom and how does one ask for lost registration codes? And do I understand correctly that buying a game from Jeff directly for Mac, one can also ask for a registration code for a Windows computer? Again, whom and how does one contact about that?

Quote:
If your computer dies and you need a new registration key? We're sorry to hear that, and your replacement is free. Register on the Mac and switch to Windows? A new key is free. Your child wants to play the game on his or her own machine? That's awesome, and an additional key is free.

—Alorael, who has emailed spidweb@spidweb.com or called several times. Calling, of course, gets an immediate response. Generally you need to provide the address at which you registered before, and you get a new code. Quick and easy.

Originally Posted By: Left for Dead to Rights
Generally you need to provide the address at which you registered before, and you get a new code. Quick and easy.

While that is quick and easy, the MAS version does not require me to ask anyone for a new code, ever. The only thing that's not possible is switching to Windows, but if that were an option I probably wouldn't be using MAS at all.

I don't know but don't buy at mac app store, in no way, the HUGE problem is you can't mod this version of the game. So buy it in any other store but not mac app store.

And if you think you'll never mod the game then you could be very wrong, for example a mod could allow you get out of a bug where you are stuck, or possibly some mods like see better the lockpick items, just won't be an option for you.