Best Avadon writing

jlsgaladriel

One of the reasons I love Spiderweb games is the excellent writing. We all love the tunic, "like pants for your chest!" What other writing stood out for you?

He says, by way of introduction, "Shnrunk stomp! Shnrunk kill! Shnrunk eat!" Then Shnrunk takes proactive steps to carry out his three-part plan.

Originally Posted By: jlsgaladriel
One of the reasons I love Spiderweb games is the excellent writing. What other writing stood out for you?

He says, by way of introduction, "Shnrunk stomp! Shnrunk kill! Shnrunk eat!" Then Shnrunk takes proactive steps to carry out his three-part plan.

Yup, that's my favorite bit, too.

Shima on tactics:

"A thousand lessons on how best to study a target. Living the dream of the perfect, quick, quiet, stealthy assassination. ... And here we are, blundering through the front entrance as usual."

Redbeard on oaths:

"I guess now you have no chance of being a spy or assassin. Not if you swore an oath!"

Originally Posted By: Lilith
The Greek letter mu is pronounced mew like a cat. The Japanese word mu is pronounced moo like a cow.
For once, Lilith is incorrect. Ancient Greek µ is indeed pronounced "moo." Modern Greek µ is pronounced more like "mih", but neither one is a "myoo" sound (like the pokemon).

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Originally Posted By: Lilith
The Greek letter mu is pronounced mew like a cat. The Japanese word mu is pronounced moo like a cow.
For once, Lilith is incorrect. Ancient Greek µ is indeed pronounced "moo." Modern Greek µ is pronounced more like "mih", but neither one is a "myoo" sound (like the pokemon).

Actually, I'd beg to differ:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28letter%29

It is pronounced as mŷː -- that's impossible to recreate in "spells-like" English as English lacks some appropriate consonant sounds, but "mew" or "myoo" is closer than "moo". Overall, it seems both are accepted modern pronunciations.

Edit: Ah, I see that the unicode didn't come out correctly for the phonetics. Please refer to the linked wikipedia entry instead.

The traditional academic English pronunciation is 'myoo'. This has little to do with how any actual Greeks have ever referred to the letter. Remember, these traditional English academics are the same people who brought you 'phi' pronounced as 'fie'. (In the Bodleian stacks, sexually explicit books were once shelved in a section labelled only 'Φ'. Or so I've read, and it seems in character for Oxford.)

I had a number theory professor in college who decided to spice up the class by referring to ideal sets as radical sets. He realized at some point that 'radical' was out of date and asked for a replacement term. Hence, I spent the next two months writing about phat sets. On the up side, this made it easy to abbreviate them all with Φ.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
I had a number theory professor in college who decided to spice up the class by referring to ideal sets as radical sets. He realized at some point that 'radical' was out of date and asked for a replacement term. Hence, I spent the next two months writing about phat sets. On the up side, this made it easy to abbreviate them all with Φ.

phat? what is this, 1990?

Too many years and too many profs pronouncing mu as "mew" and phi as "fie" have made it impossible for me to imagine pronouncing the letters any other way. It may not be the correct way, but almost everyone pronounces them that way. At some point, descriptivism takes over. Perhaps this is the emergence of a new dialect... one whose only contents is the letters of the alphabet.

Scientists create their own pronunciations. You can pronounce things however you want as long as everyone else agrees. What's more, it's only truly important to pronounce it like the people immediately around you. The scientific community is international enough that someone will pronounce everything in every way.

—Alorael, who likes tracking the spread of competing pronunciations. He also likes sticking to his wrong pronunciation guns in the face of other wrong pronunciations.

Just to throw fireworks into the chaos, "mu" is also the most basic syllable of Sufi chanting. My first thought was, "Bovine Sufis! Brilliant! Can they spin in circles to call up spiritual powers?" Now there's an interesting game design option...

Other cool writing:

Rats: "Watch out for witches."

Natalie on seeing Moritz's labs: "What amazing work. It'll be fun to destroy it!"

Bring Jenell and Sevilin (sp?) to the Khemerian legal library. Jenell makes a snarky comment about how written laws have ruined the honorable spirit of her people. Sevilin, "What's wrong with a little codification..." then "looks at Jenell and shuts up." Or words to that effect.

Originally Posted By: ThirdParty

Redbeard on oaths:

"I guess now you have no chance of being a spy or assassin. Not if you swore an oath!"

True, actually. Remember the story of Ali Baba the merchant? Many assassins, ninjas in particular, were (maybe not are, I'm sure Jason Bourne is laughing at me) honorable people.

Originally Posted By: Fflewddur Fflam: Phariton's Eye
True, actually. Remember the story of Ali Baba the merchant? Many assassins, ninjas in particular, were (maybe not are, I'm sure Jason Bourne is laughing at me) honorable people.

Is the tale of Ali Baba the one where Ali Baba's brother finds the cave full of treasure, but then the robbers find him and chop him up into pieces and display him as a warning? That doesn't seem very honorable to me.

Besides, I don't recall many ninjas in the Arabian Nights. Maybe you're getting it confused with a Japanese legend...