Strategy hint for the Beraza pit quest

jetcitywoman

I went down into the pits with my Shadowwalker along with the Shaman and Sorceress on the mistaken assumption that I'd have extra melee help with me. So I wasn't really set up well for this battle. But I did manage to (barely) survive the first time through (on Hard) by doing this:

- Speed potions for my Shadowwalker, exclusively throwing razordisks at the demon.

- Ignoring the imps as much as I could but using the other two to shield and heal and keep the imps away from the Shadowwalker.

- I did this fight before even thinking about the wheels, so the imps guarding the wheels did not join the fight against me. I was easily able to mop them up later.

The Colonel's approach is interesting, and I might try it for a future play through. A very traditional blademaster, shadowwalker and shaman party did fine for me. I even fought almost all of the way to the gate before I realized that those wheels might be important. The melee duo engages the imps, while the shaman heals and finishes off not-quite-dead imps. As you approach a wheel, concentrate totally on killing the twin guards. This has to be done quickly, so that you don't suffer from imp build-up.

If you managed to get both wheels turned then you were close. Use up some of those consumables. Keep your party hasted/blessed to finish off imps quickly. Recharge your powers with a potion so that abilities can be used more often. If all else fails, ask yourself, WWJD? That's J for Jeff, and he would suggest dropping the difficulty level. Even veterans of SW games will sometimes drop the difficulty temporarily.

This a good place to summon pets either from a shaman and/or items to keep the demons engaged while you race to get to the wheels. Speed is crucial to get this area done before too many demons appear.

If you can get the demons to cluster, then blademaster's cleave melee attack, shadowmaster's cleave razordisk attack, and other area attacks can speed up the killing chances. Also shadowwalker's backstab when you have him adjacent to another party member or a pet.

I took the opposite approach. You have to turn the wheels, but you don't have to do so very quickly. I'd recommend methodically slaughtering imps while sending one character quickly to a wheel when the coast is relatively clear.

—Alorael, who also likes Randomizer's strategy of clumping. In particular, this is a hard place not to have melee on your side.

Ah, thanks. I got through it finally but ended up having to reduce the difficulty. I think I had a poor choice of players. What is Magda? (Maybe in a future update, Jeff can make it so that when you mouseover a player's picture it tells you his/her race and class. I always forget!) So I am Magda, and I have the blademaster and the sorceress.

Use speed scroll. Send the shaman and Blademaster to the upper wheel. Send the sorceress to the lower one. Don't get bogged down fighting, just move. Turn the upper wheel. Then immediately have the scorceress turn the lower one. The demon attacks you and the imps aren't generated as fast.

After this just let the sorceress die, and then resurrect her. She will appear next to your Blademaster and shaman.

I actually left the blademaster down at the bottom, sent the shadowwalker up with his teleport to turn the wheel, and walked my sorceress up towards him. Turned the top wheel with the shadowwalker, turned the bottom wheel with the blademaster, and used the blademaster's teleport (*to* a critter) to bring him up with everyone else. No need to burn a res scroll that way, and the sorceress' damage potential is very useful.