A Cheat to Make Secret Switches More Visible

Jerakeen

Gah. I hate it when players have to resort to things like this. Especially when you're against the brick wall? Unless you know that there HAS to be a secret switch, you won't hover the cursor over the wall length.

Hope Jeff does better with the hidden switches on the next game.

• 1 month later...

I have the iPad version. Are there any cheat codes to reveal the hidden switches? Even keeping an eye out for them and using lamps/lanterns/candles, I'm missing some.

Are there any hidden switches in Jahareth Deeps? I haven't found a single one yet, which makes no sense, what with all the trapdoors and ogre lairs and whatnot.

Originally Posted By: Thycavivor
I have the iPad version. Are there any cheat codes to reveal the hidden switches?

No. There are no Jeff-made cheats for hidden switches, and the big downside of the iPad version is that you can't access the scripts and build in a cheat yourself. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: Master1
I have the iPad version. Are there any cheat codes to reveal the hidden switches?

No. There are no Jeff-made cheats for hidden switches, and the big downside of the iPad version is that you can't access the scripts and build in a cheat yourself. Sorry.

Well, that's a bummer but honestly, re-writing code is something I should avoid at all costs.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
There is at least one known hidden switch in Jhereth Deeps on the main level in the abandoned Ogre mine in the southeast part of the map. On the north wall west of the rubble before a barred gate is a switch that opens the wall to the south in the animal pen area.

Many thanks. I will return and check it out.

Unless you jailbreak your iPad, then you can use iFile and edit files, transfer files, etc.

Originally Posted By: Sotth
Unless you jailbreak your iPad, then you can use iFile and edit files, transfer files, etc.

I'm pretty sure that, like the MAS version, even if you could access the script files, there are checksums in place to prevent editing.

Also, jailbreaking isn't a pretty topic, so we may not want to go there. Stareye would have a fit.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Steam version on a mac. There is only one item in the Avadon/Contents/Resources folder, a file called "shortcut.icns".

Perhaps the Steam version is moddable on PC but not on Mac?

Update: I have Bootcamp on my mac so I fired up steam and downloaded the game into Windows 7. I was able to mod it following the OP instructions and confirmed in-game.

I went back to look for a switch in the mac game and yeah, I would never have seen that even if looking for it. So I'll stick to the PC version.

• 3 months later...

Actually this DOES work on steam and on the Mac version. You are just looking in the wrong place.

The game files are hidden in the users library folder, which is hidden.

so look in

/Users/<your username>/Library/Applications

You won't be able to navigate there using the Finder, you have to use the GO command (shift Command G).

Once you ar there you will see the Avadon folder and everything works as originally described.

I've tested it and have it working on Mac right now purchased through steam.

Originally Posted By: Rampant
Actually this DOES work on steam and on the Mac version. You are just looking in the wrong place.

The game files are hidden in the users library folder, which is hidden.

so look in
/Users/<your username>/Library/Applications

You won't be able to navigate there using the Finder, you have to use the GO command (shift Command G).

Once you ar there you will see the Avadon folder and everything works as originally described.

I've tested it and have it working on Mac right now purchased through steam.

To clarify, the Library folder is only hidden if you're running Lion. Also, the full path is likely ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps (where ~ is the user's home directory, of course.)

EDIT: Unless I'm dead wrong on the path. I'm running Snow Leopard and bought my Avadon here. I do run Steam for other games.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

But there is the ability to access files using iExplorer, which Jeff mentions for save files on the support page. I take it since the scripts are under Avadon HD.app, if we change them iOS will get upset in some way?

Since scripting is built-in, it would be great if Jeff could create an override approach, where (say) Documents/scripts was created and we could put modified versions of scripts in that directory. Then iPad users could take advantage of scripting as well!

Is there a place to make enhancement requests? Not that I imagine Jeff is looking for more work to do!

Ah well, I'm new to Spiderweb software, and am currently enjoying the game as-is, so no worries smile

I believe that the iOS and MAS versions of the game have checksums that break the game if you edit the scripts. I'm not positive, so it may be worth your while to try editing them, just make sure that you back them up first.

Jeff doesn't really take requests. Once a game is done, it's done. Also, there is the issue of intellectual copyright. He prefers to avoid that and stick with his own ideas.

I tried it and it worked! Basically follow the instructions at the Support for iPad page, except the script files are in the app directory (Avadon HD.app).

Copy the script file(s) you want to change, and make a backup copy! You'll also need a text editor that understands Mac format (CR line terminators instead of CR/LF in DOS or LF in Unix). Since the scripts are in the app directory, I assume they will be overwritten if/when the app is updated. I would also make a copy of the save files before updating just in case...

But otherwise it seems to be working!

• 1 year later...

Tried this mod on win 7 steam account.

After the main menu the game locks up. Won't run.

I noticed that the last entry in this subject in April 20012.

I'm wondering if a later patch prevented this mod?

I'm an old man and my eyes just are not up to finding hidden switches.

The problem probably is with Steam and their check on whether the game has been modified.

There hasn't been a patch for the Windows version since this mod was made.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. We have standards, they are low standards, but we have standards here. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...