Agent Miranda: may she live forever[G5]

How much do we know about Miranda? I seem to remember that she gets about four sentences total in Geneforge 5. I combed Geneforge 4, but I can't get much more than a few details about her. In fact, probably the most informative bit of text about her is her death scene--which is rather disappointing. Is there some material--a conversation maybe--that I missed?

• 1 month later...

Miranda was an important and fairly well-written NPC in Geneforge 4. I got the impression that Alwan and Miranda were comrades-in-arms and perhaps friends, but not necessarily lovers. Here's what she says about a meeting with Alwan:

-What did you do when you met Alwan?

-I tried to cheer him up. He's always so serious. So grim. Typical Guardians. As if there's never anything funny in the world. Agents see much more of the world. That's why we have a sense of humor about it.

She tries to lure you over to the Shaper side. Since you first meet her as a prisoner to be interrogated by the rebels, her name is probably inspired by the Miranda warning, i.e. "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in the court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you."

Thanks to Hollywood, many of us foreigners have heard those words, too. In particular, I remember their appearance in a very emotional scene in Minority Report.

Some rather silly "Miranda as a sex object" quotes:

Originally Posted By: Geneforge 4
She notices that her greaves are smoldering and enlists you to help extinguish them.

Originally Posted By: Geneforge 4
Her carefree attitude has not abandoned her. She's still smiling, even in this furnace in the heart of rebel territory. She is sweating profusely, but it looks good on her.

I wonder how many hate mails Jeff would have received if he had included "Alwan looks hot. Since you're a bottom, you dream of what it would be like to be taken from behind by a rough Guardian." instead. tongue

Well, not everyone is gay and into Alwan, either. I'd be pretty upset, given both my political disagreements and his general uselessness as a party member.

—Alorael, who will go ahead and point out that Jeff likes the name Miranda. It's his daughter's name, and he used it in games before he used it in his family. And for the record, it's almost certainly from his affinity for Shakespeare, not for Miranda rights.

I think the comparison is hard to do. Alwan is portrayed as a worthy, solid, committed, soldier. While Miranda is a more vivacious, cheerful, down to earth agent. So irrespective of sex, Miranda is a more interesting and attractive personality. Whether or not her greaves are on fire (and they're more like leggings than shoes, aren't they?)

On Alex's original point, it is true that any kind of overt homoerotic writing is pretty unlikely to appear in popular media, especially US based. But this is hardly unique to Spiderweb. Personally, I would be more inclined to first complain about non-existent or stereotyped portrayal in 99%* of mainstream films, tv, radio and newspapers, before I got round to the indie RPGs...

*99% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Originally Posted By: Micawber
IOn Alex's original point, it is true that any kind of overt homoerotic writing is pretty unlikely to appear in popular media, especially US based. But this is hardly unique to Spiderweb. Personally, I would be more inclined to first complain about non-existent or stereotyped portrayal in 99%* of mainstream films, tv, radio and newspapers, before I got round to the indie RPGs...

*cough* *cough* Dragon Age *cough*

Plus, Jeff does have a sizeable portion of customers who are queer or queer allies and he did include gay characters in Exile/the first Avernum trilogy, so indie RPGs are as good a place to start as any.

But nothing erotic in Geneforge. Dikiyoba saw member 19757's name in Slartucker's post and immediately had horrible, horrible flashbacks.

Jeff made a point of including a lot of them in the first three games he released. In the last fourteen years, the ENTIRE extent of queer things in Jeff's games (with the exception of the remakes of said first three games) consists of a single line of Walner's in Avernum 4.

It really does appear that homosexuality has gone the way of players being able to summon demons. Something Jeff has no problem with himself, but doesn't want to risk alienating touchy parents over.

Also: horrible flashbacks? What? ?_?

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
It really does appear that homosexuality has gone the way of players being able to summon demons. Something Jeff has no problem with himself, but doesn't want to risk alienating touchy parents over.

Yes, because Westboro Baptist Church totally has better things to do than complain over a few hundred words in an obscure game containing over 100,000 of them...

...Wait. They don't, do they?