Identifier Master?

Azzie

I have a problem. I am making a Legends of Zelda, The Wind Waker themed party. I finished the graphics, when the time came to make their custom weapons, I coded them and went into the editor, but then I got a message saying "Script failure: invalid Identifier Master"

I don't know what an 'Identifier master' is, so can't fix it! What is it?

The error message means that the script interpreter was reading your script and got to a point where it expected something which it refers to as an 'identifier' and it found the string "Master". Usually in programming jargon an identifier is the name of a logical entity in the program, like a variable or a function. Since you were writing a BoA data script, which has neither variables nor functions, I honestly don't know what exactly Jeff meant with this terminology.

To really debug this, we would need to see the section of code that causes the error (hopefully the error message also came with a line number). Just as a stab in the dark, did you write something like:

Code:
it_name = Master Sword;

(A quick google search indicates that this is probably the name of an item from Zelda tongue )

If this is the case, you need to write:

Code:
it_name = "Master Sword";

So that the script interpreter will recognize "Master Sword" as a single unit, which is a string.

Sorry for asking so much, but this one's REALLY strange.

I keep getting message's saying things are missing in lines that don't exist. For instance; I got a message saying "Scenario data file error: Missing number in line 139."

But when I check, I see there's only 82 lines in my custom script data!

Yeah. . . the existing Avernumscript interpreter is really bad at counting lines. There's a real error somewhere, but unfortunately you're going to have to try to find it manually*. You can do this by commenting out sections of code (or moving them temporarily to another file) to and checking to see when you do and don't get the error. Once you've narrowed it down to one or a few lines you can look at them more closely to try to actually solve the problem. You may be able to make educated guesses about which code is guilty if you remember which parts you've added or changed since the last time everything was working.

* Something which will help a great deal in many cases and in this one in particular is the Alint tool, which is hosted by Kelandon. Alint can check Avernumscript for syntax errors and is a good deal more helpful than the game's/editor's built-in interpreter. If you're on Windows it may be more of a pain since there's only a command line version, but it is still likely to be worthwhile. If you use Alint it will almost certainly report the error on the correct line or one very close to it.

Originally Posted By: Azzie
"Scenario data file error: Missing number in line 139."

Usually when I get that error it means that I put an equals sign where I shouldn't have. I'll sometimes do something like type "begindefineitem = ###;" which is a big no-no, especially since the error message will invariably point to a line that doesn't exist.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Originally Posted By: He fined Angle is trying to kill
Custom items don't get carried on between scenarios.

Do you even own this game?

Custom items will only disappear if they use custom graphics or scripts.

That's odd- I thought some of TM's items from Canopy carried over despite using custom graphics- the uber-bow that one General carries, for instance.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Custom items will only disappear if they use custom graphics or scripts.

That's odd- I thought some of TM's items from Canopy carried over despite using custom graphics- the uber-bow that one General carries, for instance.

Right, custom graphics or calling script states will cause items to be non-transferable between scenarios. Built-in graphics with adjust applied will transfer, and TM also was fond of using some of the more obscure built-in graphics (although I believe that the Adlerauge just uses a regular bow graphic).

The other thing to watch out for is that there are some ranges of items that the game treats specially (potions, scrolls, ammunition, and probably a couple of others) which can be overwritten with custom items and will transfer (if they meet the criteria above) but will cause trouble when the game re-interprets them. This can lead to characters wearing crossbow bolts for hats and vegetables for pants (as I recall two known cases of such screw-ups), and should be avoided.

Originally Posted By: He fined Angle is trying to kill
Custom items don't get carried on between scenarios.

Do you even own this game?
Yes, but I haven't played it in a reallly long time. And I may or may not have gotten confused with a completely separate game