What's worth buying?

othersean

In Avernum and Geneforge, buying weapons and armor was a waste, as the money was better spent on spells and stat boosts. Since Avadon doesn't seem to have those at the beginning (no spoilers, please), what in general is worth buying in the demo and the first couple quests after that? I haven't bought anything yet.

Actually, I logged in with essentially this question, so I'll put it here instead of starting a new topic. I've been saving my money, expecting some training options to open up, and so far have found only one trainer, who I cleaned out right away (second main quest, in the interest of not spoiling). I wouldn't mind some spoilers, myself...am I wasting my time waiting for trainers, stat boosts, etc, or can I invest in some better arms/armor without fear of running out of money at a critical time? Thanks, and I hope the OP doesn't mind me adding on to his question.

On the subject of trainers and the like:

Click to reveal..
There are two trainers, each of whom sell two upgrades for 3,000 each, so maxing these "skills" out costs a total of 12,000. These don't actually improve existing skills, but rather give you a special item that gives a permanent bonus to a given characteristic (like, say, hit and damage with melee weapons). The bonuses are pretty small, but they affect your whole party, so they're worth the cost. There's also one character who sells charms, which are basically the same as in Geneforge, i.e. small bonuses for the character holding them. These cost around 2,500-3,500 each, and if memory serves there are five of them. A couple are very good, the rest are pretty underwhelming.

As for money, if you do a minimal number of sidequests, the charms and training will already be more than you can afford by game's end. If you do all the sidequests, you should have enough for all the training, charms, and around 5,000-7,000 left over. It's also worth keeping in mind the fact that, unlike in most cases in Geneforge and Avernum, some of the buyable are actually among the best of their kind.

Also, scarabs are well worth buying: even if you buy all of them, you'll only have just about enough to outfit all five characters, and there are a few buyable scarabs that are actually really good.

There are a few weapons and armor that are worth buying depending upon whether your main character is a blademaster or shadowwalker. Mostly because they are better than what you can loot in the next few zones. If you are having a hard time than extra damage and/or defense can help.

Mostly I spent the extra money on lockpicks to be able to get more loot. Depending upon your playing style you might want to stock up on potions and scrolls for speed. Anything else depends upon how fast you burn through consumable items during fights.

Potions are important, except maybe vitality. Good wands and scrolls are nice to have, but you don't need huge numbers of them. If you don't use an item very often, keep a few and sell the rest.

—Alorael, who sold most of his consumables, then realized all he could get for his effort was more consumables. He didn't regret turning wands into potions, really, until he ran out of potions to obtain.