BoA Influenced Scenario Editor

Ishad Nha

Latest brainwave is to alter the BoE Scenario Editor so that it has all the good features of the BoA counterpart.

Currently the large view on my version has a 17*13 square area. Now I will need to correct a small offset problem.

Small view is no longer 4*4 per square but is now a more reasonable 8*8. I hope to introduce selection and moving of objects.

Not all features of the BoA Editor can be translated to the BoE variety, in BoE there is no floor or height. Terrain scripts are not found in BoE either.

There were good features for the BoA Editor?!

But seriously, sounds like it's got some potential. Just remember to keep the simplicity of the interface. That's a must.

It would be neat if you could build a layer system into the game though. A slight tweak to the system could theoretically allow one to incorporate a "can't pass from a certain direction" option. That could allow one to better simulate 2 or more layers of depth to the world, especially if you added a pseudo falling-damage mechanic to it(a damage mechanic that only applies when going a certain direction, ie, down).

"can't pass from a certain direction"

SSI Gold Box games always had this because each wall was composed of two halves. For a wall running from north to south, each part of the wall would have a west half and an east half. Omitting one of the two halves would make the wall one-way. Introducing this concept into BoE sounds like a job for the people writing a new version of the game.

All versions of the BoA Editor have many good features that could be introduced into the BoE Scenario Editor. As I come to understand the BoE code I should be able to port them.

As changes are made to the new version of the Editor they will found in this download

http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/2009ClassicBoEScenarioEditor.zip

So far I have managed to increase the zoom-out view to the size found in BoA. I also increased the size of the normal view.

The addition of some of features from BoA was already planned. Moreover, it's fairly unlikely that, if you do this, your code will be used (though you never know) on account of the porting to wxWidgets.

That said, I won't stop you from doing it. It's not like I can, anyway.

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
How soon can we expect a beta release for the wxWidgets port?
That's an interesting question. I think I should be able to work on it as early as April, so, with luck there might be a preview by September. Don't count on it, though.