Neray

athom

Originally Posted By: RedHerring
Wait, *I* want a location! I didnt catch that quest until after I'd gotten back to the Aerie and I really cant be arsed to go comb thru the entire wretch warrens. Anyone care to tell me where those binders are at?

They are in a desk. Search every desk in the warren (top level).

I admit that I missed them the first time. I broke down and searched the script files to find the location.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
You think that's bad, I usually forget to get the quest and then have to go back on a separate trip to get the papers.

Yeah.... I dont know if Im imagining it, but it seems like this game engine/plot makes it especially easy to get mixed up with all the extra quests. I keep missing them. Maybe its cause the areas are so huge. And actually, thats one thing Id love- a list of every quest for every area and who to get the quest from. No more info than that, just a little cheat sheet to help make sure you're getting everything.

I never managed to clear the Neray quest either. I *did* catch a glimpse of her near the beginning of the game outside the Wretch Warrens, but I didn't chase her immediately. When I went back much later (having glanced at the hint book) to the spot marked "K," south of the wretch warrens fortifications, I found some people there, but not Neray. I guess the quest has some pretty touchy timing?

Thanks all, can't believe I scoured everywhere but the warrens! It's all good now. I've played and won all Spiderweb games except Nethergate and the remakes (nothing against it, I just had other stuff going on when it came out...) and this game is still exceedingly refreshing.

Thanks again Jeff!

z

Hmm, I did find three people, and I thought I'd been through the whole dialogue tree. I'll go try again once I'm done with these blastedly hard bandits. (I must say, the difficulty level ratchets up a serious notch when one is forced to solo under bandit roads. Holy mackeral, I'm burning consumables on every encounter, and Cultist Audric with bandit adds killed me twice before I got it.)

I found him pretty challenging. While he may not be able to do a shadowwalker with dexterity in the low 30s much harm, he summons undead and calls in several bandits. I suppose you can kill the latter before fighting him, but they're in an area the narrator specifically warns you against entering.

Also, he has a lot of HP for an enemy the protagonist faces alone.

So, I returned -- at level 28 -- to the wretch warrens, and did indeed get the right dialogue,

Click to reveal..
revealing a trap door through which the woman tries to escape. But I killed the poor trio too fast, and the trap door remains locked. Noone drops a key.

Reloading, I carefully let the woman live, and -- woohoo -- she unlocks the trap door while escaping.

So it is indeed possible to end the quest without clearing it, but only if one is high enough level to one- or two-shot the bandits.

• 2 weeks later...