The sounds...

Seivyn

Now I've looked and looked, scoured the earth to it's ends, depths, and heights. Upon the failure of the physical plane, I dove into the recesses of the fourth dimension, the digital. Still, I have failed.

I remember a sweeter time, a time of old school Exile 2. An old Galaxy of Games CD-ROM continues to mock me to this day. I bought the game, I bought the following games, however the memories of Exile 2 haunt me.

I seek its sounds. MP3's perhaps, of every sound in that game. The deadening gaze of the basilisks haunts me still, the screams of my party echoing through the cavernous depths of Exile; they haunt me, yet I must hear them. My memory has grown foggy and as time has passed, my mind has distorted these sounds into... grotesqueries, much more horrid noises than they were I'm sure.

But at this same moment, their voices. Of the Giant, Intelligent, Friendly, Talking spiders. They soothe me. Bring me peace, but similarly, my mind is slowly taking them away from me with age.

I miss the game, a simpler time, the sights I have still, the game preserved, but the sounds of my beloved. If any assistance can be given, this traveler would be forever in debt to you. Please, the sounds of the original Exile 2, in any format. So long as I can hear them still, hear the sounds.

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but it would probably be best if I could get Exile 2 to work on my computer first wouldn't it?

Windows 7, compatibility mode, troubleshooting through windows how to get the game to play but pretty much everything it was saying was contact the software provider. I know it's quite an old game and I might still have the computer that had my original copy on it, but unless I can get that computer's hard drive, I can not get Exile 2 (the copy provided above) to work on this computer.

"Okay," I thought, "perhaps the resource hacker will still work." Wrong. I tried to use the one linked to also above but it wasn't even recognizing the Exile .exe. That is obviously a bit of a problem. I tried another resource hacker and it was saying, "Exile2.exe is not a valid Win32 PP File".

If worst comes to worst, I'll just go back and see if I can get my old computer working and then record the sounds as I play the game. Ghetto setup I know. But Exile 2 doesn't work on this computer, the resource hackers don't do what I think they're supposed to do with the Exile 2 executable and I am NOT computer savvy at all.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I'm still going to mess around with these things. I was just wondering with my original post if this was something that someone else had already done and there was an archive or something of the sounds somewhere. But I'll still give it a go, see if I can figure this stuff out.

EDIT: Also, just to save everyone the headache, I am going through the other posts and discussions here to see how to get Exile 2 to play on my computer. Assuming I do get it to work, then the resource hackers work, then everything's all right. But if I get Exile 2 to work and the resource hackers still don't work... well... we'll see when we get there.

The Exile series won't run on Windows 7. There are ways around this though. You can install a virtual container, DosBox or VirtualBox for instance, that will either simulate an older OS (DosBox) or let you install one (VirtualBox), and run the games that way. Works well for quite a few people on these boards. smile

The Exile series supposedly runs in 32-bit Win7 using either compatibility mode (Starter, Home Premium) or Windows XP Mode (Pro, Ultimate); I can't say for certain, I've never tried. They definitely won't run in 64-bit Win7.

My preferred way to run older games is in Windows XP using VirtualBox. I've also heard of installing Linux in VirtualBox, then installing Wine in Linux; the result is basically an emulator within an emulator, but it's supposed to work fairly well.