Avadon v1.0 Rev 1 Public Beta

Spidweb

We're already working on fixing the minor glitches and issues with Avadon as they pop up. We currently are working on a version of Avadon for the Mac App Store, that uses a newer engine and the newer Mac code base (Cocoa, for those interested).

If you are having odd issues, this new version might help to address them.

You can download the newest Avadon app here ...

http://www.mediafire.com/?vj9cbe1kr7c6su7

It's just one self-contained app. No folder or extra files.

If you try it out and it works or doesn't work, please let us know. If you have been wanting to be a Spiderweb tester, this is a great way to get our attention. :-)

- Jeff Vogel

I was hoping this would fix the overheating/graphics issues I'm having, but unfortunately no.

With the graphics and sound turned as far down as possible (no extra graphics, thousands of colors, lowest resolution), I experience tearing and flashing vertical artifacts. I have the fans running on max and the temperature goes between 75 and 80C. This is a game-killer for me.

I'm on a 2006 17" Core Duo MBP with 2.16GHz proc., 2GB RAM, and an ATI Mobility X1600. OS X 10.6.5.

I've been playing your games since Exile 1 came out, so I'm really crossing my fingers here. I'd be happy to send any debug logs if that would help.

@Benihana - That sort of problem is almost always the result of a malfunctioning video card.

As for the heat issue, Avadon uses far less of the CPU (it doesn't hog it in the way that our older games did), so it should not be the cause of this problem. Macbooks are infamous for having heat issues.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to help you with these issues on that machine.

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: Benihana
I was hoping this would fix the overheating/graphics issues I'm having, but unfortunately no.

With the graphics and sound turned as far down as possible (no extra graphics, thousands of colors, lowest resolution), I experience tearing and flashing vertical artifacts. I have the fans running on max and the temperature goes between 75 and 80C. This is a game-killer for me.

I'm on a 2006 17" Core Duo MBP with 2.16GHz proc., 2GB RAM, and an ATI Mobility X1600. OS X 10.6.5.

I've been playing your games since Exile 1 came out, so I'm really crossing my fingers here. I'd be happy to send any debug logs if that would help.

I think Apple had some issues with the X1600 chips they used in some computers. I have an '06 iMac 2.16 Core 2 Duo that went crazy a couple years ago overheating, odd visual tearing and lines. CnC3 was the worst offender of aggravating it. I had applecare at the time and they replaced the logic board with little hassle mentioning something about faulty x1600 cards.

Originally Posted By: macdude22
Originally Posted By: Benihana

I think Apple had some issues with the X1600 chips they used in some computers. I have an '06 iMac 2.16 Core 2 Duo that went crazy a couple years ago overheating, odd visual tearing and lines. CnC3 was the worst offender of aggravating it. I had applecare at the time and they replaced the logic board with little hassle mentioning something about faulty x1600 cards.

I had the exact same issue with my old 2006 Core Duo MacBook Pro with an X1600. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it replaced because I had previously spilled a can of Mountain Dew on it. I got it working by taking it apart and flushing it with isopropyl, but the liquid sensors had been tripped.

*Sigh* I was afraid that might be the issue. It is of course well out of warranty and I'd replace it before I'd pay to fix it (assuming the cost is a replacement motherboard). A new MBP is on the agenda, but not in the budget yet. I think I haven't seen this issue yet because I don't play a lot of cutting edge games (well however cutting edge CnC3 is), or do anything else graphically intensive. That's what surprised me most, because aside from the particle effects, the game seems to have a pretty standard tile engine.

Ah well, thanks for all the replies. Perhaps this is some kind of sign. Time to replay the classics? Or perhaps the Geneforge series.

Aw man. I was hoping this would fix my problem..

I went up to talk to Redbeard after the basement quest, as per Miranda's orders, but when I got back downstairs she hadn't left to go to her desk yet (I actually went through the quest-giving dialog again). Both quest locations (go up to Redbeard, and meet her at her desk) are still starred, but (after going upstairs again to see if that'd fix it) now she's disappeared entirely and talking to Redbeard doesn't yield anything anymore either. I think I'm stuck. XD

On the bright side, staircases are marked since I put on this update. XD

June, is there any chance you could send me a saved game?

You can also send a saved game to support@spiderwebsoftware.com and I can take a look. Save the game to the upper left slot, go to the saved game folder (in Documents/Spiderweb Software), compress the folder Save0, and send that to us.

- Jeff Vogel

This is my first post here so hello all!

Don't know if this is the appropriate place to point out a slight oddity that I stumbled upon but here we go. It might have been corrected in this beta patch but talking to a character named Hahn, an old farmer in Dhorl Steads lower right quadrant, I noticed that his avatar was that of a female warrior instead of what I suppose should be a decrepit old farmer.

Hi again, and thanks for the welcome.

Perhaps I'm running the risk of being a pest but the v1.0 Rev 1 is running very sluggish on my computer compared to the original v1.0. When I set game not to draw all graphic details this improves, but it doesn't get as good as the older version, which I ran with all details being drawn.

My computer is a 2006 macbook 2 Ghz, 2GB RAM, gma 950 running on MacOS 10.6.6

The sluggishness gets atrocious when it starts to rain but other effects such as some spells slows down the game noticeably. Again, when I switch back to the old version everything runs smoothly.

By the way, I'm really enjoying my first playthrough of the game!

This may be a bug. The Wayfarer's first quest expired (I didn't do it by the time I got to the deeps.) He gave me a second quest and told me to give the proof to an official in the aerie. No one near the aerie gave me a conversation option, so I went back and tried the barrel from the first quest. That worked, and I later found my reward (also under the barrel.) The wayfarer's second quest (referencing the crate as the reward site) is still in my list. The "proof" did disappear from my special items.