Armor and Weapons (SPOILERS)

These lists are generally in order of being able to get the item. Most of them have a minimum attribute to use them:

STR strength

DEX dexterity

INT intelligence

HER Hostile Effects Resistance - to all non-physical damage

res. resistance

ARMORS

armor is the percentage of physical damage blocked

Tunics and Robes

wearable by all classes

Code:
armor      name				bonus powers2% 	tunic			5% 	fine tunic		8%	chirurgeon's tunic	+5% to blessings/curses you cause, +10% to healing8%	spidersilk tunic	+1 dexterity, +5% energy res.5%	robe			7%	student's robe		+1  to magical mastery12%	Angevine's robe		+8% to magical damage12%	robe of the sorceress	+1 intelligence, +2 firebolt, +2 to ward mastery 

Leather Armors

wearable by all classes

Code:
armor 	name			  STR	bonus powers15%	leather jerkin		18%	studded leather armor20%	drakeskin leather armor    6	+15% fire res15%	jerkin of the wild	   6	+25% poison res., +10% chance to evade attacks20%	vest of the shaman	   6	shaman only, +1 intelligence,  +2 to spirit claw,+2 to nature mastery15%	quicksilver vest		+10% energy res, +6% chance to parry20%	Belda's jerkin			+10% less time to recharge, +5% chance to parry, +10% to blessings/

Chainmail Armor

wearable by Blademaster, Shadowwalker, and Shaman only

Code:
armor 	name			STR	bonus powers20%	chainmail		22%	deadeye chainmail	4	+8% to missile damage 24%	fine chainmail		430%	titansteel chainmail	425%	ruined steel mesh	4	+20% to blessings/curses you cause25%	resilient mesh		4	+5% HER 25%	shyster chainmail	4	+10% cold res., +10% acid res.25%	hammering mail	        4	+5% to hit chance, +5% to melee damage28%	shadowwalker's mesh	4	shadowwalker only, +1 dexterity, +2 to blade training, +2 to lightning discipline

Breastplate

wearable by Blademaster and Shadowwalker only

Code:
armor 	name			STR	bonus powers25%	iron breastplate	630%	steel breastplate	826%	enduring breastplate	6	+1 endurance30%	breastplate of the tower6	+10% less time to recharge, +5% chance to parry38%	blademaster's bulwark	12	+1 strength, +3 to second wind, +1 to path of the shield30%	resilient guard		8	+15% cold res., +15% curse res.40%	titansteel breastplate	1038%	dreadnought breastplate	12	+2 strength, +10% cold res.35%	breastplate of the anvil12	+5% to melee damage, +5% to hit chance

Shields [+5% to parry]

Code:
armor 	name			STR	bonus powers10%	wooden shield	13%	iron shield		16%	steel shield		720%	titansteel shield	12	+10% curse res.10%	buckler of agility		+1 dexterity14%	rune-etched buckler             +10% to blessings/curses you cause                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         12%	tainted buckler	     	        +5% to magical damage16%	shield of recovery		+20% to healing. +1 endurance14%	sheltering buckler		+5% chance to evade attacks, +10% to healing18%	bonecleaver shield	12	+1 strength, +25% to critical hit chance16%	battle-worn shelter		+5% to melee damage protection, +5% HER18%	shock troop shield	15	+1 action points, +20% mind effects res.18%	warrior's shelter	10	blademaster only, +1 strength, +4 to savage blow, +1 to path of the berserker

Caps

Code:
armor	name				INT	bonus power2%	leather cap	5%	etched leather cap 			+10% chance to evade attacks4%	sage's tiara			7	+5% to magical damage6%	shadow crest		        7	+5% to evade attacks, 2% HER6%	cap of the deep woods      	7	shaman only, +2 to spirit claw, +1 to earthquake, +5% to healing

Helms

cannot be worn by Sorceress

Code:
armor	name			STR	bonus power5%	bronze helmet     	27%	steel helmet		87%	trueblade crest 	6	+5% to hit chance9%	nightblade helm 	6	+5% to melee damage7%	helm of the wind	6	+10% curse res.9%	dreadnought helm	12	+20% curse res., +20% energy res., +10% mind effects res.

Belts

Code:
armor	name			STR	bonus power2%	leather belt	5%	bronze girdle3%	onyx studded belt 		+5% to parry5%	scorched girdle 		+10% fire res., +5% to critical hit chance10%	titansteel girdle	10	+3% HER, +5% chance to evade 7%	deadeye belt		8	+10% to missile damage, +5% less time to recharge7%	belt of battle		8	+5% to melee damage, +5% to curse res.armor	name			INT	bonus power5%	silk-woven cord 	10 	+15% mind effect res. and cold res.5%	spellweaver sash	10 	+5% to magical damage, +5% to healing

Hands

Code:
armor	name			STR	bonus power2%	leather gloves	4%	iron gauntlets	6%	steel bracers		63%	impskin gloves  		+3% to magical damage5%	archer's gloves 		+12% missile damage5%	runeweave gloves		+8% to blessings/curse you cause6%	ogrish gauntlets	8	+6% to melee damage6%	bracers of the hawk		+5% to hit chancecrude skin bracelet			+5% melee damage protectionbracelet of truth			+10% to healingtruefoot bracelet			+1 dexterityenchanter's rings			+8% to magical damagebracelet of opportunity 		+5% less time to recharge, +5% chance to riposte

Legs

all classes

Code:
armor	name			bonus power2%	pants			4%	wool pant		+10% cold res.5%	spider silk pants	+5% to magical damage

only leather type greaves can be used by Sorceress

Code:
armor	name			STR	bonus power8%	leather greaves 	412%	chain greaves  	        812%	iron greaves		1216%	steel greaves  	        1210%	drakeskin greaves		+10% energy res.12%	smoky greaves 	        8	+5% chance to evade attacks, +10% curse res.14%	avenger's greaves	8	+5% HER, +5% melee damage12%	Belda's greaves 	8	+15% less time to recharge. +20% curse res.16%	corrupted greaves	14	+1 strength, +5% chance to riposte10%	greaves of the vale		+10% less time to recharge, +10% poison res.16% 	scorched greaves	12	+15% fire res., +10% to blessings/curses you cause16%     greaves of the ramparts 14	+10% chance to evade, +15% to healing

Cloaks

Code:
armor	name			bonus powers3%	heavy cloak		5%	fine cloak		6%	soft leather cloak	+1 dexterity6%	drakeskin mantle	+15% fire res.6%	blademaster's mantle	+5% to melee damage6%	shadow shroud		+5% to evade attacks6%	focusing wrap		+5% to magical damage6%	spidersilk cloak	+1 dexterity, +5% energy res.6%	shroud of the depths	+8% less time to recharge6%	sharpshooter's mantle	+10% to missile damage7%	trueshield wrap		+5% to evade attacks, +5% HER

Footwear

all classes

Code:
armor	name				bonus powers2%	sandals	5%	leather boots		5%	blessed sandals	5%	runesoled shoes		+5% to blessings/curses you cause8%	incantor's shoes	+5% magical damage, +10% healing7%       fleetfoot boots        +1 action point

cannot be used by Sorceress

Code:
armor	name				STR 	bonus powers7%	chainmail boots		3	10%	plate boots		910%	stomping boots		9	+1% to melee damage7%	lodestone chain boots	5	+1 strength10%	titansteel boots	13	+5% less time to recharge9%	dragonscale-lined boots 5	+5% HER7%	bushstrider boots		+25% poison res., +10% to healing9%	shadowwalker's boots	5	shadowwalker only, +1 dexterity, +2 to razordisk training, +1 to flash powder

Rings

Code:
armor	name				bonus powers2%	ruby ring			+15% to fire res.2%	mica ring			+15% energy res., +10% mind res.2%	opal ring			+15% cold res., +20% curse res.4%	shadowstone ring		+5% to magical damage, +5% less time to recharge2%	sapphire ring		        +25% poison res., +25% acid res.4%	farsighted band 		+8% to missile damage8%	crusher's band		        +1 strength, +3% to melee damage4%	greenspirit band		+15% to healing4%	ring of the lovelorn		+2 intelligence5%	corrupted circle		+6% HER	wizard's loop			+8% to magical damage

Necklaces

Code:
name			bonus powertribal fetish		+5% to critical hit chancefetish of the claw clan	+10% to critical hit chanceradiant choker		+8% HERcharm of power		+1 strengthcharm of nimbleness	+1 dexteritycharm of insight	+1 intelligencecharm of endurance	+1 endurancependant of power	+2 strengthpendant of nimbleness	+2 dexteritypendant of insight	+2 intelligencependant of endurance	+2 endurancenecklace o f vitality	+8% melee damage protection, +15% to healing

WEAPONS

damage is base damage before attribute and skill bonuses

MELEE

for Blademasters and Shadowwalkers only

Code:
one-handed name			damage	STR	bonus powerdagger			2-6steel dagger		4-12assassin's dirk		5-15   		+10% chance to hit[+5% to melee damage]iron shortsword		4-16	2steel shortsword	6-24	4raider's cutlass	8-32	4	+5% chance to ripostetitansteel shortsword	10-40	4flametooth blade	8-32	4	+10% fire res., +10% chance to hitlightning shortsword	8-32	4	+5% to magical damageshadowwalker's blade 	14-56	4	shadowwalker only, +2 to searing pot, +2 to earth discipline[+10% to melee damage]iron broadsword		10-40	6steel broadsword	12-48	6emerald saber		14-56	6	+15% poison res. +15% acid res.titansteel broadsword	20-80	6	truestroke broadsword	14-56	6	+10% chance to hitscimitar of subtly	16-64	6	+10% less time to rechargecorrupted broadsword	16-64	10	+3 strength, -1 dexterity, -1 intelligencebroadsword of the tower	18-72	10	+10% to evade attacks, +10% curse res.blademaster's steel	18-72	10	blademaster only, +3 to hamstring, +1 to path of the bladetwo-handed pole weaponsname			damage	str	bonus power[+12% to melee damage]iron spear		6-24steel spear		9-36	3seeking lance		11-44	6	+10% to hit chancetitansteel spear	12-48	6veneth's spear		13-52	12	+1 action pointsbarbed trident		11-44	6	+5% chance to evade attacks[+15% to melee damage]shadowwalker's lance	13-52	12	shadowwalker only, +2 to shattering bow, +4 to shadowwalker's focus[+20% to melee damage]iron glaive		24-66	7rune-etched glaive	28-82	10	+10% to magical damagesteel halberd		27-78	10corrupted glaive	28-82	15	+20% curse res., +20% mind effect res.hero's halberd		30-90	15	+15% chance to hit, +10% to blessings//curses you cause,+5% less time to rechargejade halberd		30-90	15	+25% poison res., +25% acid res., +10% to blessing./curse you causetitansteel halberd	32-98	10

for Shamans and Sorceresses only

damage - firebolt (fire) for Sorceress and spirit claw (magic) for Shaman

one-handed

Code:
name			damage 	INT    bonus powersapprentice rod		7-11sage's rod		9-17ivy-entwined rod	17-41	10    +1 strength, +1 dexterity, +5% chance to parryrod of the elder oak	17-41	10    +20% curse res., +20% mind ressun's rod		17-41	10	+10% fire res., +8% to magical damage, +5% chance to parryrod of the deep woods	13-29	10	+20% poison res., +20% acid res.

two-handed

Code:
[+5% to magical damage] name			damage	INT	bonus powersmage staff		11-23	4wizard staff		18-44	4	+10% to blessings/curses you causestaff of recovery	18-44   4	+10% to healingsummoner's stave	18-44	8	+5% to magical damage, +3 to beast focusblack birch staff	19-47	8	+5% to magical damage, +10% less time to rechargesleetcaller's staff	18-44   8	+20% cold res.staff of the sorceress	21-53	12	+2 to ice storm, +2 to focus masteryshaman's stave		21-53	12	shaman only, +5 to nature mastery, +2 to call the winds

MISSILE WEAPONS

Blademasters and Sorceresses only:

Code:
name		damage	DEX	bonus powersshort bow	4-16longbow		6-24	 3black oak bow 	6-24     6	+5% melee damage protectioncomposite bow	8-32     6sage's bow	10-48    8	+1 intelligenceincantor's bow	10-40    8	+5% to magical damagehunter's bow	10-40 	 8	+8% magical damagewizard's bow 	18-72	 7	7 STR req., sorceress only, +50% to missile damagetitan's longbow	18-72	 10   	12 STR req.,+10% energy res.bow of the tower12-48    10	+10% mind effects res., +10% cold res.

Shamans only:

Code:
name			damage	DEXiron javelin		5-20steel javelin		8-32	 4titansteel javelin	12-48	 6		lightning javelin	15-60	 8

Shadowwalkers only:

Code:
name		        damage DEXiron razordisk		5-20steel razordisk		8-32	5titansteel razordisk	12-48	10

In game experience.

If you aren't able to use the item, red warnings about why you can't equip the item appear in the description box giving class and minimum attribute requirements. Weapon damage in the in game item description changes to show the character's bonuses from attributes and skills if it can use it.

• 2 weeks later...

You seem to be missing the Fleetfoot Boots, seemingly wearable by everybody (I didn't check Blademaster), armor +7% and +1 action points.

I only remember them because I spent a long while griping about having to choose between the Veneth Spear and Shock Troop Shield and still not being able to get myself to 10 AP for two attacks if I don't move. laugh

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
Formatting fix needed:

[b}Necklaces[/b]

Irony.

I actually am not looking at this until I finish my first playthrough. Likewise, I hated searching through scripts to find quest items that I missed because I didn't get the quest on time. Knowing too much about the game mechanics and all that jazz ruins the first immersion for me.
  • 1 month later...

Gee... it's embarassing I haven't found these items:

ruined steel mesh

shyster chainmail

shock troop shield

lodestone chain boots

lightning javelin

... and totally forgot where I found these:

flametooth blade

hero's halberd

Makes me think I should try again.

PS: the Emerald Saber is my favourite weapon, comes early in the game and lasts very long, with some enhancement.

Originally Posted By: Superba

hero's halberd

Beloch the Scrouge.

Quote:
PS: the Emerald Saber is my favourite weapon, comes early in the game and lasts very long, with some enhancement.

Yeah, I had that one equipped for the longest time. Only the corrupted sword (with its +3 STR) replaced it (and the emerald saber then went to Shima).

Yes and no. There is still the same system for multipliers, but the multipliers now depend on action and class, rather than item. Thus, melee attacks are always 1-3, staff attacks are 1-2 for shaman and 1-3 for sorceress, and missile attacks are 1-3 for sorceress and 1-4 for everyone else.

The multipliers for actions vary, sometimes in odd ways. The sorceress's AoE spells all have 1-3 or 1-4, while the shaman's range from 1-2 all the way up to 1-6.

Oh -- here's a better answer. The damage range you see onscreen already has the multiplier factored in, as well as your character's main attack power for the weapon. (Damage may GROW at different rates, as you gain levels, depending on the multiplier.)

However, what's NOT factored in to that damage range are any +X% damage abilities, including the ones built-in to most melee weapons! So you'll need to pay attention to those and to any damage-increasing skills you have.

Originally Posted By: Fflewddur Fflam: Drunk on Coffee
Originally Posted By: madrigan
Like the way a stick was the best weapon in Avernum 4?
Are you serious?

All other weapons had damage caps save sticks and fists, which were uncapped. The stick had a slightly better damage die, though, and thus wound up doing the most damage of any single-target attack in the game.

A4 does not have a damage cap -- you are thinking of one or more of the original Avernum trilogy games (not sure which as I haven't played those much).

A4 does have the difference in damage dice -- short swords were 1-2, broadswords were 1-3, and the stick was the only melee weapon with a 1-4. Its base level was very low, but if your melee skills were high enough it could outdamage the best swords.

However, halberds were also 1-4 and had much better bonuses, to say nothing of the Heartstriker Bow which I believe was 1-7 in A4. Therefore, the statement that the stick did the most damage of any single-target attack in the game is patently false.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
A4 does not have a damage cap -- you are thinking of one or more of the original Avernum trilogy games (not sure which as I haven't played those much).

A4 does have the difference in damage dice -- short swords were 1-2, broadswords were 1-3, and the stick was the only melee weapon with a 1-4. Its base level was very low, but if your melee skills were high enough it could outdamage the best swords.

However, halberds were also 1-4 and had much better bonuses, to say nothing of the Heartstriker Bow which I believe was 1-7 in A4. Therefore, the statement that the stick did the most damage of any single-target attack in the game is patently false.

Yes, that's true, I suppose the Jade Halberd and Heartstriker were the best weapons in A4. Then again the stick was lighter and you could pick one up real cheap. I mentioned it as a strong example of how it was very important to pay attention to multipliers in A4-6.
Originally Posted By: FnordCola
The stick is also nice in that one can equip a shield with it, unlike the Jade Halberd.

It's too bad Jeff didn't throw the Radiant Leaf or something into that game so you could attack with the stick while defending with the leaf. "Tha trees be attackin'!"
  • 2 weeks later...

Beloch, sure, thanks to remind me.

I also appreciated the Bucklet of Agility, for it's really lightweighted, when you add a Dexterity improvement Shima (or anybody else) can carry a light shield with +2 Dexterity and 10% protection, it's great.

One thing I noticed is that wands are not signaled to be one hand or two and this is unconfortable when you have some of them to scroll in the inventory. After a while I noticed 5 lb wands are one hand and 6 to 8 wands are two hands but at first glance they look all the same, may be a good idea to write it somewhere.

Understood. My fault I didn't know the difference of meaning between "wand" and "stave", but I guess some other non English mothertongue players don't, so perhaps it still may be a good idea to write somewhere "one hand" and "two hands"?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Very simple (and maybe stupid question)- what ability should Shaman improve in order to have better attack with Primary weapon - sage's rod? Strength(due to Primary weapon but sage's rod is not a melee weapon) or Dexterity(is it magic missile attack?) or Intelligence(or is it simple magic attack regardless rod is used as primary weapon)?