Poll: First Game Character and Difficulty

Colonel Haste

Shadowwalker. My first attempt at a character build was as much of a failure as the game permits, but I still think it was the right class choice for a first playthrough.

—Alorael, who sadly had to give up his attempts at an all-shadowwalker game. Playing with doubletons gets hard.

Torment is done differently this time. It adds some hit points and increased damage, but it is also supposed to be more special abilities for boss fights.

It is slightly easier than Avernum 6 on torment. No more long drag out fights where you slowly shave the monster's health each round down another sliver.

For torment difficulty singletons, shadowwalker can get through more fights than a sorceress. I still am only a third of the way through blademaster so I don't know if parry makes up for not being able to loot and gain experience from picking locks.

Fights get easier if you can find the right tactic for some fights. It isn't one strategy fits all fights.

I started a shaman on normal, but even knowing Jeff had dropped the difficulty level, I was shocked how easy it was. I've bumped it up to hard, which still seems fairly easy, with one exception:

I stumbled into the wrong place too early, and was battling salamander swarms at level four or so! That got me on "casual" really quickly, and even then, I burned through some consumables...

Originally Posted By: jlsgaladriel
I stumbled into the wrong place too early, and was battling salamander swarms at level four or so! That got me on "casual" really quickly, and even then, I burned through some consumables...

You can't see it anymore, but the salamanders almost always hit and you have less than a 50% chance to hit them the first time that it's possible. You are supposed to do the basement later on in the game.