Can't finish crown quest

I am playing Celts and I have finished the Anwnn quest, left the land of the dead and got the ugly crown from the Romans. When I go back to Nethergate village I can't get the Cheiftan to take the crown. All he wants to talk about is Boutell the spy. How do I get the Cheiftan to accept the crown and send my group to the next quest?

Boutell is the spook, spy of the Queen, in one of the versions. N:R dialog script for town 30 shows him in Nethergate.

As for the mission, ask around for what to do next, starting with priestess Mugain.

Edit:

Relevant text may be activated by town script state 56, this is triggered when you walk into the Chief's hut. Unfortunately it runs "Hardcode 50" and I don't know the details of that code, so I can't spot exactly what the problem is.

You may need to do the Skull of Stone and Eye of Cathrac quests before the Crown quest will work properly.

Just to clarify, I recently purchased Nethergate Resurrection and I am trying to finish the game, but I am stuck.

I've done the Skull of Stone and The Eye of Cathrac quests without any problems. I went to Anwnn and returned with the crown, or 12 crowns in one of my games. I have gone back to Nethergate Village, gone into the Cheif's hut and tried all the dialogue options, I even tried to talk to the wolf. I've talked to Cormac and Mugain, and all of them tell me to go to Anwnn, when I am holding the Crown of the dead in my special items list. The chief and Cormac warn me about the spy, and I get the same dialogue from Mugain that I got before going to Anwnn. I am stumped, I can't go any further in the game until the chief gets the crown, but he won't acknowledge that I have it.

Could my game be buggy? I even reinstalled to be sure it wasn't that, but I'm not the greatest tech genius.

Did you try talking to Cerridwen?

Does the quest entry give any clues about who you need to talk to?

Have you tried going to the Spire of Ages on your own? I doubt you can get in without triggering something for complete the crown quest, but it might be worth trying...

It's been too long since I played the game to remember exactly what you do now...

"12 crowns in one of my games."

That is a bug, you might want to use a text editor and add the following to Init State of the file t30Nethergate.txt:

change_spec_item(4,-11);

This will remove 11 copies of Special Item 4 (Ugly Iron Crown) from your party, every time you enter Nethergate. Once you enter Nethergate delete the above line from your town script file. As you are playing Celts, the file is found in C:\Program Files\Spiderweb Software\Nethergate\Nethergate Res\Data\Celt Data. (Assuming that you installed in the default location.)

This is from line 22 of Celt Data.txt:

init_quest(3,"The Crown","Cartumnus is sending you into Annwn, the land of the dead, to recover the Crown of Lost Warriors. Mugain can tell you more about how to enter Annwn.");

This does not tell you anything that you did not already know. If all else fails talk to Jeff, though he may be busy.. Alternately you may need to alter the relevant scripts:

C:\Program Files\Spiderweb Software\Nethergate\Nethergate Res\Data\Celt Data\t26The Spire .txt

C:\Program Files\Spiderweb Software\Nethergate\Nethergate Res\Data\Shared Data\o22Spire Wood.txt

Relevant placed specials: 15,51

Edit:

Best idea is to post the save file in this forum, most likely found at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Control\My Documents\Nethergate Saved Games

To post it you will need to provide a link to an internet address, you can always set up a free Freewebs account.