Island in Chaos

Dikiyoba

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, it was Nikita, who is running around with the bare minimum of strength and dexterity, plus no armor whatsoever. Someone could sneeze on her and she'd take damage.

Still, her Full Spectrum spell probably made the difference in keeping Elthin conscious after the bomb as opposed to unconscious and bleeding out, so Dikiyoba can't mock her too much.

Originally Posted By: Captain Felunk, goblin
Well, that was fun. Let's never have anyone important aboard ever again.

Hey, guess what? It's time for the session 1 log!

Also, quotes:

Quote:
Ak-Deevt: "Augh! Someone do something! Wait, I'm the healer, aren't I? I forgot."

Grastakoss: "I tried to get lost in the crowd to avoid being noticed. It worked a little too well."

Gunnar: "Move and I will stick you where no magic healing can heal you."

Nikita: "You are as incomprehensible as the scriptures of Imaunte."

Samos: "If you need me, I'll be standing behind Grastakoss."

Dikiyoba hopes Dikiyoba has uploaded the log properly.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
An hour later, the Dire Whale sails into the mouth of a river and docks in the harbor of a large city between a fishing vessel and a river barge.

The city is located between a fishing vessel and a river barge? LOL. smile

Other observations:

AIMHack parties should probably come up with a policy on prisoners at the start of campaigns. Prisoners seem to be a regular source of contention. It's weird seeing Rowen go from "Gramzon-save-the-prisoner" to "Gunnar-torture-master."

Also, Rowen's had a couple characters that seem to have a theme of sad backgrounds involving fire and loss of family members.

Nalyd's characters have a theme of being mystics with tragic backgrounds who like to talk about fate.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
"...you are unable to find the Dire Whale"

This made me laugh. smile

Looks like a fun session and promising start!

Originally Posted By: Triumph
AIMHack parties should probably come up with a policy on prisoners at the start of campaigns. Prisoners seem to be a regular source of contention. It's weird seeing Rowen go from "Gramzon-save-the-prisoner" to "Gunnar-torture-master."

It's messy and sometimes frustrating, but I think it's good for party dynamics to have to argue it out. (Also, people's response to prisoners may be different in different situations.)

(Also, hopefully the next time the party takes a prisoner, their plan won't be rended moot by an NPC rolling really well.)

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Issordra, lacewing healer
It's swamp fever all right. My advice is to stay at home, drink plenty of water, and try not to die.

Hey! Fill out the calender already!

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Aquecha, elf tinkerer
When the striped jungle spiders first appeared in our village, I thought we were doomed. We lost half our sheep in two weeks. But it turns out tropical species don't survive long in freezing weather.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
i already did

You aren't Nalyd. (I will make that more clear next time.)

The second session will be Thursday, March 3 at 5 PM CST in room SWRPchaos.

The third session is tentatively scheduled for the tenth.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: King Drazo, dragonborn
Ah, griffons. Truly the most noble and beautiful of all creatures.

Session 2 can go in one of two ways, and Dikiyoba wants to make sure that Dikiyoba is prepared for what the party is most interested in. So, question: would you rather explore Talios next session, or would you rather just jump right into the plot and start investigating?

Originally Posted By: Banor, human hunter
When the giant harvestmen first appeared in our woods, we thought we were doomed. We thought they would drive away all our prey. But it turns out they are harmless vegetarians. Also, when you roast them right, the legs are delightfully crunchy.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Can we do both at once?

Either way, there will be some plot and some exploring in the next session. You won't get anything critical out of exploring Talios, which is why I'm letting you skip it if no one is interested, but it might help you figure out whether you're getting told the whole truth or not. (Of course, going to Talios might just confuse you as to the truth even more.)

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Unknown courtier
Oh, look, there's a human in the palace. Did the court jester suddenly quit or something?

Less than an hour until session two starts. Be there, or get mauled by an owlbear!

(Unless you are a spectator, in which case Dikiyoba will probably have the owlbears maul you either way.)

Originally Posted By: Urlana, dwarf servant
When I saw that the griffons were gone, I knew we were in for some trouble.

Woo! The log is finished.

Quote:
Samos: "Who on Mote would want to steal these things?"

Nikita: "Mages cannot stop the will of the gods. He cannot have the right to his crown."

Grastakoss: "The important question is, where's the food?"

Ak-Deevt: "Giant spiders are not to be trifled with."

Gunnar: "I would also like to question the guard dogs."

Dikiyoba.

Quite amusing so far! I loved that you left the copy/paste fail in there, Diki. smile

I was surprised by this:

Originally Posted By: Nikita
"Teleportation is not terribly rare.”

I thought the exact opposite was true: teleportation magic IS rather rare on Mote. That perception definitely informed how I created / played Phulax in CoH. Any illustrious Mote-world-builders (e.g. Eph) care to comment on the commonality of teleportationists?

Click to reveal.. (Character Sheet)
Name: Nikita Otto
Race: Dwarf
Deity: Tempecomt
Alignment: “Something odd, that’s for sure.”

Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 7 (+1)
HP: 14 (+2)

Artifice: 1 (+1 Racial Bonus included)
Composure: 1
Magic(Abjuration): 2
Magic(Evocation): 3
Magic(Enchantment): 2
Magic(Vitaemancy): 2 (+2)
Streetwise: 2
Perception: 1
Religion: 5 (+2) (+1 Racial Bonus included)

Click to reveal.. (Spellbook)
Capacitance(Abjuration): Numerinus felt a tingling all over his skin, and he felt hot and itchy. But when the enemy's blade pierced his shoulder, he could see that the minor discomfort was worth it.

Nikita touches the target, and it becomes electrically charged. Any enemy - or any thing, really - that the target touches receives an electrical shock.

Like Charge(Abjuration): Allen charged the dwarf, but the closer he got, the harder he had to fight. It seemed like his own body was fighting against him. By the time he got there, he had to take a breather.

Nikita clasps both hands around her holy symbol, and an invisible repulsive field comes into being around the target. An enemy cannot move adjacent to the target and attack on the same turn.

Electromagnet(Evocation): Anthony felt a tugging at his weapon and armor - he tried to hold on, but he was pulled from his feet and the hammer flew from his grasp in a matter of seconds.

Nikita holds one hand to her holy symbol and stretches the other towards her target. Any magnetic materials will be pulled and pushed however she commands.

Arc(Evocation): Allen shut his eyes tight against the flash of light, but he still felt the sparks from his brother next to him. When he opened his eyes, nothing but a scorch remained.

Nikita stretches out a hand, and a burst of light illuminates the area. One random foe is stuck by a small lightning bolt.

Full Spectrum(Evocation): The brief flash of light seemed harmless, but Dyen felt sick to his stomach immediately afterwards. As he stepped forward to strike, his vision swam and he missed completely.

A bright flash of light shines from Nikita's eyes for a fraction of a second. The target receives penalties to attack and defense.

Spasm(Enchantment): Allen roared at the little mage, about to break her scrawny little arm. If only he could move.

Nikita makes a grasping motion at the target, and it is paralyzed for a turn.

Discharge(Vitaemancy): Numerinus chased the dwarf as she ran, but as time went on, his body felt heavy and numb, until he could barely feel his limbs. He watched as his life slipped away.

Nikita throws a burning white spark at the target, and it takes moderate damage over time for several turns.

Click to reveal..
Samos
Elf
Alignment: Pragmatic

2 Str/5 Dex/4 Int, 14 HP

Magic (Divination): 4
Stealth: 3
Martial (Blowdarts): 3
Streetwise: 2+1
Thievery: 2
Nature: 1
Composure: 0+1

Spells:
Location: Gives information on the location of an object or person. The more familiar the caster is with the target, the more accurate the intel.
Resmancy: When cast on an object, determines facts about the object's past.
Portent: Offer advice regarding a person's immediate future. Stamina is recommended for accuracy.
Lehun's Messenger: Allows the caster to send a brief verbal message to someone they are personally acquainted with, even across great distances. The recipient may make a brief reply. Costs 1 stamina.

Still working on the log.

Mistborn, you can level up. Details are in my first post. You have 10 skill points to spend.

Lilith and Sarachim, your level up is perfect. Rowen, you forgot to increase your health. You actually have 8/14 HP.

Nalyd... oof. But if that's how you want to build your character, fine. However, Dikiyoba is changing Discharge so that it only lasts a single round. Otherwise, it's overpowered.

Originally Posted By: Iliau, lacewing druid
I hate giant birds.

What use is roleplaying if you don't tempt fate? Fortune favors the intentionally stupid. tongue

But one of the reasons that Nikita's taking such a beating is because a couple of spells that she can use for defense (Like Charge and Electromagnet) are kinda difficult to interpret without a grid, so I've been avoiding them. -_-

Click to reveal.. (Ak-Deevt Level 2)

Adding: 1 to Dexterity, 1 to Enchantment (3), 2 to Nature (1+2), and 2 to First Aid (1+2)

Name: Ak-Deevt
Alignment: Naive
Race: Lacewing

Level: 2
Skill Points: 1

Strength: 5
Dexterity: 3
Intelligence: 3
HP: 14/20
Stamina: 4/10

Magic (Conjuration): 4
Magic (Enchantment): 3
Martial (Knives): 1
First Aid: 2
Nature: 2

Stealth: 2
Artifice: 1
Composure: 1
Thievery: 1 (RB)
History: 1 (RB)

Woo, the log for session 3.

Quote:
Gunnar: “How much higher before you drop me? Think we can make it really really high?”

Grastakoss: “Hey, do I look like... whatever the word is for someone who knows about ghosts?”

Nikita: “Awww. I’ll name you Appeasement. You’ll be such a good gift to Tempecomt.”

Samos: “Stop hir! Stop hir, or it’s all for naught!"

Ak-Deevt: “I’m sorry guys, I’ve got to be selfish this time!”

Glume: “I’m holding the dire-eagle-can-kill-your-party-member-instantly card still, I’m afraid.”

Dikiyoba.

Also, Grastakoss and Gunnar have both earned perks.

Originally Posted By: Grastakoss' perk
Intimidate: "Do you dare to defy the Black Sun? I'll crush you like a bug, burn your remains to a crisp and dress inappropriately at your funeral!" (Active. Thrice per day, you may try to intimidate an opponent as you attack. Your attack will do bonus damage if it lands.)

Originally Posted By: Gunnar's perk
Reckless Abandon: You throw yourself into danger regardless of the consequences. Thankfully, luck is often on your side. But you really shouldn't push your luck too far. (Passive. Once per session you can do something stupid, such as wander off alone in hostile territory or attack the eagle carrying you through the air without fear of critical failure. However, 2s will count as a critical failure during any subsequent dumb moves.)

And finally, calender.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Myra, lacewing historian
Don't be silly. Why would anyone trap a history bo--

Very nicely done on the perks, Diki.

On a minor unrelated note, in the log, I like how you differentiated private chats from the main chat by not making the names bold, but in some cases its not clear who the private chat was with. If it wouldn't be troublesome, in the future could be there a way to note who each private chat was with?

Yo, Nalyd! Fill out the calender! Yours is the only response I'm missing.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
On a minor unrelated note, in the log, I like how you differentiated private chats from the main chat by not making the names bold, but in some cases its not clear who the private chat was with. If it wouldn't be troublesome, in the future could be there a way to note who each private chat was with?

Yeah, sure. (In Dikiyoba's defense, it is perfectly clear to anyone spent two days staring at the actual chats. tongue )

Originally Posted By: Dentdrass, dragonborn priest of Sliros
I know now that Sliros has a sense of humor. For weeks I have been praying for a swift, bloodless end to the siege of Fort Ohlik. Today I got a message from Commander Crelt saying that an epidemic of swamp fever swept through the enemy's ranks last week and that the survivors have been forced to retreat.