Song from exile One

kingchipmunk1112

I think it's at least part guitar as well, and the intro musics for Nethergate, the Avernums, and the Geneforges are all little sound bites put together just for those games.

—Alorael, who is glad that Spiderweb gets unique music and sad that the intros to Nethergate and A2 aren't actually parts of longer and wonderful pieces.

Quote:
Originally written by Small Fry:
In Avernum 4 what is the song the piece is cut out of
Quote:
Originally written by Xosa Arxani:
sad that the intros to Nethergate and A2 aren't actually parts of longer and wonderful pieces.
And for the record, the same is true for A4 and all the other games. The only non-original music is that in Exile 1.

• 2 weeks later...

No, it's the old 1995/96/97 versions that used to feature music. The exile games have been musicless at least since I purchased them (I think it was 2000).

Edit: to clarify, I think I purchased the trilogy in 2000, about a year after first playing E2 on a friend's iMac. I suspect in fact Exile trilogy has been musicless even longer, maybe since the release of E3 in 1997?

The original version of Exile II had music. The original version of Exile I did not; it was added in the v2.0 upgrade that gave Exile I the bright, Exile III style graphics several years after its release. That's all Mac versions. I don't know the history for PC versions.

Quote:
Originally written by Slarty 2.0:
The original version of Exile II had music. The original version of Exile I did not; it was added in the v2.0 upgrade that gave Exile I the bright, Exile III style graphics several years after its release. That's all Mac versions. I don't know the history for PC versions.
I first downloaded Exile 1 and registered around '96, when it still had the old-style, simpler graphics. That version had no music in it. The first version of Exile 2 I played around '97 didn't have music either. That was the version with the updated graphics. Then, just a couple years ago, a friend of mine registered the whole trilogy and got a CD with all 3 games on it, and the versions of Exile 1 and 2 on that CD didn't have music.

Maybe you're right that it is just a Mac-only thing. I'm still confused as to which version of Exile 1 has music in it though. There must be some in-between version that I haven't played that has to music.

• 13 years later...
On 4/2/2007 at 1:44 PM, Entropathy said:

Okay, but where's carthag.mod from?

So, I realize this is a really late response, but it's wild enough that I figured I'd share anyway.

The music that was distributed with the Mac version of Exile 2 was actually a track called "Ecolove" by Stéphane Picq from the 1992 Amiga video game Dune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atSIXC4jJqI

A touched-up version of this track was also included on the album Dune: Spice Opera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_0W1cYPYo&t=561

Edited by Duskwolf

How about that! Never knew the origins of that track before this post - always thought that one had a great sound to it.

...What I'm still curious about are the credits to the title tracks of Avernum 1 and 2. Av1 had great late 90's vibes to it, while Av2 presented such a melancholy theme which mated to the bleak situation so very well. Av3 started to veer away in a different direction with regard to the splash music, but the theme is still close enough to the other two that the set still generally gels well together.