A4 - Pylon fields forever

Tcheedchee

Hi,

I know Jeff's just recently stated in his blog, that he doesn't like unjust critisicm of his games. I don't either. So I hope it doesn't count as such when I say, that I find the pylon fields guarding the way to Rentar-Inrho's Keep a bit fatiguing.

I admittedly got a bit winded, when I entered the pylon fields for the first time, and my party got the hell beaten out of them, although my warrior has good constitution and thick skin and owns a lot of goodies including demonslayer, the oozing blade, the infernal shroud, a lot of blademaster items, as well as lethal blow, etc. My mage is a natural mage and can cast all spells up to Arcane summon (included), my slith priest is a pure spirit and can cast all spells including return life, and my nephil archer has got nimble fingers and is a dead eye and got the bow of decay. They also share some special skills like magery, magical efficiency, blademaster, sharpshooter, gymnastics, anatomy, parry and such, each more or less as fits his/her class.

So I was quite impressed, when I got a beating there. But after a few returns I've figured out a strategy with which to take out pylons, vanathai warriors and sentinels one by one, and by now the pylon fields are just a question of HP and ME. Unfortunately I can only take out three or four foes at once. It's tedious…

So that's what inspired me, to post

"Py-hy-lon fieeee-heeee-lds forever."

(At least that's what the guys have taken to singing, when they return from Fort Remote for another raid for an uncounted time…)

crazy

Originally Posted By: Alorael
You assume that it wasn't designed just like that from the beginning.
True… shouldn't have… But if we are lucky Jeff as made them up a bit more like the mine fields in Geneforge. There you could really try to find a way through. Tricky, but fun. The A4- pylon fields are a bit too exacting to still succeed. As I had gotten the hint in the game as well, that one should be able to sneak past the pylons without taking them down, I meanwhile picked up all my courage again, and gave it a try once more. I have to say, that I'm not surprised, that many players went for smashing instead of sneaking, because sneaking will get you stuck somewhere within the pylon fields without any ressources to rescue yourself. A warrior-tank will get through with the healing and buffing help of the magic-users, but how will the magic-users follow the warrior? I had to device rescue-acts by jumping onto the fields of frozen/dazed PCs, kind of dragging them out of the force fields of the pylons. All the magic power gets drained by the healing needed then. And there are not enough basins to replenish one's energy further north, so that one could refrain from returning to Fort Remote. So then you'll have the same story again. One get's fed up with this very soon. And then it's bashing and smashing instead of sneaking.

I'm really looking forward to the release of Avadon and I'm hoping for Geneforge-style mine/pylon/lava/something-fields, which give you a bit of thinking and sneaking to do. Specially given all the new releases of main-stream RPG-games, which are graphically very sophisticated, but which do have very boring stories, IF at all.
Most of the time they only provide excuses to bash some artificial monsters with the help of some nifty weapons and spells in swanky armor. Very boring…

I'm really looking forward to new stories out of the spiderweb forge, even with pylon fields.

Pylon fields are much better than bewhiskered swash-buckling.

• 3 years later...

I have been replaying A4 after a couple of years and am now trying to get to Rentar's whatever-her-name-is keep. I well remember how I hated all those pylons, and I am struggling with them again. I can't figure out how to sneak past them and smashing them is nearly impossible. I need more help!

There is a path through most of the field where you stay just out of their attack range. This was the Jeff approved method.

The alternative is to slowly move through it and using range attacks and spells you kill them one by one and keep returning to Fort Remote to recharge. This method gives you several thousand in loot from the destroy pylon crystals. The pylons are all damaged by physical attacks and each type is vulnerable to a spell type, but they do regenerate if no one is in melee.

I went through there with a singleton.

The alternative is to slowly move through it and using range attacks and spells you kill them one by one and keep returning to Fort Remote to recharge. This method gives you several thousand in loot from the destroy pylon crystals. The pylons are all damaged by physical attacks and each type is vulnerable to a spell type, but they do regenerate if no one is in melee.

They regenerate whenever they don't have a target for their attacks, no one actually needs to be in melee range.

best way to destroy pylons is with bows and spells outside their ranges, if you have party of 4 then it shouldn't be big problem, just time consuming.

My strategy was to place the tankiest tank just within the range of just one pylon's attack and have the rest of the party, out of the pylon's range, pelt the pylon with arrows and the appropriate spells.

As long as you're patient and do slightly more damage than they regenerate you can very slowly plink them all down. If that's too frustrating, it's probably not much better to have to run off and recharge every time your tank is low on health and your healers have run dry. Go with sneaky.

—Alorael, who doesn't think the route was that hard to find. Just note that there are a few parts you have to run through in combat mode.