How to get into BoA?

dave s

So I see the various lists. Some are gone. Some are outdated. A lot of author's pages are gone.

I don't really know how to get into BoA. Or maybe I want to try BoE instead? I've heard the scenarios tend to be much better. But going back to the old Avernum interface is a big step, let alone Exile, after playing A6.

I just want more to play while waiting for Avadon.

It'd be great if there was just a nice list of various campaigns. Like start with this, then go to this, then that ties into this, and this is a good standalone to build up levels before you go to that.

I value plot over difficulty. A good story is more important to me than a strategic battle.

Can you help? Or am I better off just saying screw it and playing Geneforge (Only played the first one).

Quote:
So I see the various lists. Some are gone. Some are outdated. A lot of author's pages are gone.

It doesn't matter that much if a given list isn't totally complete or fully up-to-date, there are plenty of scenarios to start playing. Also, to my knowledge TrueSite for Blade's collection is quite close to being complete.

Quote:
Or maybe I want to try BoE instead? I've heard the scenarios tend to be much better. But going back to the old Avernum interface is a big step, let alone Exile, after playing A6.

I personally can't stand BoE, and have not been all that impressed with what little I've seen of the scenarios for it. It is a definite fact that there are a lot more scenarios for it, but if (like me) you can't stand its user interface, you may not be able to stomach playing them. Or, you may really like the stories as much as the old players. Since BoE is now free, there's no reason not to try it if you want. (Also, as you mention below, you're a story-type player, and there has been a lot of praise heaped on the stories in BoE scenarios, although I can't really speak to how deserved it is.)

Quote:
It'd be great if there was just a nice list of various campaigns. Like start with this, then go to this, then that ties into this, and this is a good standalone to build up levels before you go to that.

Almost none of the BoA scenarios relate directly to each other plot-wise, but you're right that a good description of which ones are good for what is a bit lacking. You could get a sense by reading the scattered reviews and play-through threads, or you could just start playing scenarios. (The reviews are concentrated in two places, one of them being in the subforum of this one, so they're not hard to find. I could dredge up some of those play-throuh threads if you like, but they aren't that orderly, and are mainly written for an audience of people who've already played the scenarios.)

Quote:
I value plot over difficulty. A good story is more important to me than a strategic battle.

Then there are definitely some scenarios here for you; see for example anything by Nikki or Lazarus. TM and Kelandon works tend to have a bit more emphasis on fighting mechanics, but lots of plot as well. (My own scenarios, I must admit, are not likely to be your cup of tea. They're mostly about battle tactics, although they aren't necessarily all that difficult.) There is, I think, a good deal of variation in available scenarios.

If you want to experience Blades in a similar manner to playing another Spiderweb game, I would recommend playing it as follows:

(1) Valley of the dying things

(2) A small rebellion

(3) Za-khazi run

(4) Diplomacy with the dead

then move on to Bahssikava, which has a very similar feel to Jeff's scenarios. Your party should be strong enough to tackle it after completing the four Jeff-built scenarios.

Then, you can try Exodus. I never got around to playing Exodus, but your characters from Bahssikava will be at the right level to tackle it.