Create your own ending for avernum 6!

Chizzlepain

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
Ruler of Avernum after killing Slith-leaders and Gladwell and Melanchion.
What about the king? Did you forget to off him as well? I dont think he would let you rule Avernum, so you would have to kill him. You would also have to find a way to get support to pull a coup like that. Maybe giving out the horde of food you will have by the endgame would get you some allies.

Besides, food sucks in Avernum. Go to the surface and take over the avernite colony up there. At least then you would get good food.

Originally Posted By: Chizzlepain
If you had to write an ending for avernum 6, what would be your perfect one? I thought it would be cool to see what some of your imaginations can come up with!

The obvious one, of course. The Blight is cured, Melanchion slain, the Abyss finally annexed into Avernum, the Horde pushed back into the Northern lands of A5, and Gladwell executed for treason.

Or, the best one. Avernum falls; the Blight saps the resources of the defenders, they're forced to cut back more and more until finally Avernum is abandoned. The Slithzerikai win, and only a handful of Avernites remain behind, notably Gladwell, who makes the Abyss the last remnant of human held land in the Underground. Gladwell's kingdom is miserable, barely defending against the Horde, and is cut off from the Surface. Basically, it's a smaller version of the original Avernum, moved into the Abyss. The Vahnatai resettle lost land, and a balance comes to the denizens of the caves.

The Avernites who fled all are forced into an exodus to Upper Avernum on the Surface, and resource wars soon break out with the Empire. The Empire ultimately wins, despite the martyrdom of Solberg and other great warriors, and Upper Avernum becomes contracted. The great sacrifices made in the war allow the nation to keep on living, small as it is, but the dreams of greatness that once were held are gone.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Originally Posted By: Triumph
Umm...that's the best???

For the natives of the underground who have been subjugated, conquered, and marginalized by imperialistic Avernite tendencies, yes.

Aha aha. Yes, down with the colonialist, imperialist Avernites! LOL!!! Sounds like the sort of thing that might come up in one of my classes.

If I were to make a serious post here, it would be about the natives reclaiming the caves, especially since they were meant to be used and then the populace is to go into hibernation. The Empire and Upper Avernum would still be there, but damaged by the amount of refugees/shortage of resources. After a time, the Empire and Avernum recovers, and peace between the three people is reached for a long time.

Then I become un-serious again, and start to talk about how they begin to colonize the moon, and make it the new Avernum, but there is conflict with the aliens already living there.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
What about the king? Did you forget to off him as well? I dont think he would let you rule Avernum, so you would have to kill him. You would also have to find a way to get support to pull a coup like that. Maybe giving out the horde of food you will have by the endgame would get you some allies.

I'm sure Avernites would want warheroes like me to lead Avernum rather than some wimpy King.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
I'm sure Avernites would want warheroes like me to lead Avernum rather than some wimpy King.
If that was true, then the PCs from A2, A3, and A4 would have taken over before. The fact that in none of the series do you see a party of adventurers ruling over Avernum, its a safe bet that just being warheroes wouldnt be enough to let you to throw a coup and get rid of the king. Dont forget, he may be "some wimpy King", but he's a wimpy king who controls all of Avernum. That includes the army.

I wanted the _A Christmas Story_ ending -- "all was right with the world." And then "FOR NOW..." tacked on to leave the door open for Avernum 7.

The actual ending wasn't disappointing, because it was the kind of in-world realistic, ambivalent ending that helps make Spiderweb games great. But it was sad, to me anyway, and I had hoped there would be some way to really defeat the horde, cure the Blight, and restore Avernum to its former greatness before retiring wealthy and admired.

Originally Posted By: lordofdc
Wonder why I said portal failed and Avernum went boom? Remember what happend to the messed up Empire Portal in A2 when you didn't use the onyx scepter?

Somewhere on the hard drive of one of my old computers, there's an unfinished BoE scenario based on an alternate history in which exactly that happened.

Maybe the A6 portal just wasnt designed as well, and they had to use more crystals to keep it stable. If it had been as powerful as the Empire Portal was, then I doubt Avernum would have taken so long to evacuate. Avernum wasnt as overpopulated in A6 as it was in the earlier games (I think). Remember, about half of Avernum moves to the surface after A3.

• 1 month later...

What I would have preferred to see as the ending: The Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders end up winning over everyone with their cuteness. The heart of even the most hardened skribbane user is won over by their simplicity and dedication to a friendly, egalitarian society. Guided by the head-chef Spider, Avernum assumes a surprisingly delicious and bountiful diet of acid-cooked Chitrachs (like lemon-crusted lobster, so the surface dwellers say). The diet is supplemented by fruit and the hardier kind of mushrooms.

Refuge's population growth flatlines, with so many new supporters of the spiders, few people are interested in the self-serving Dragon. The Dragon and the Anama end up in a religious stalemate, with each side trying to convert the other. Their focus on each other means that they are ignored by pretty much everyone else, and they enjoy their own little secluded cults.

The Vahnatai, perpetually snobbish of the lower races, completely lose it when they see something as simple as spiders taking over by mere charm alone. They start to gear up to create more magical havoc, but you catch wind of their intentions and banish them to the lower caves once and for all (heh, yeah right).

You are given a big, hairy, chitin-kiss by the new benevolent leader of Avernum: Spider. It rules with peace and wisdom and little tolerance for intelligent creatures being mean to each other and lots of bugs. The end.