Resolved: Resolutions!

Ephesos

With 2010 behind us (finally!) and 2011 just begun, it is that most arbitrary of times when we set down goals for ourselves for the next arbitrary length of time! Or to clarify, time for new year's resolutions.

Last year, we didn't have a proper thread for this. In fact, the last time I recall a proper thread for this, it was back over at Shadow Vale. Or maybe I'm just remembering things wrong. But no matter! We should not have to stoop to re-using a holiday thread for this sort of thing, it deserves a thread of its own!

So I wholeheartedly invite all in the community to come and share your resolutions for the coming year, and whether or not you lived up to the previous year's. And regardless of your goals (or lack thereof), I'd like to wish everyone a fantastic 2011!

Originally Posted By: Myself, 1 year ago
My resolution for next year: Spend New Year's Eve doing something away from my family.

...dangit. Next year, I swear.

My goals haven't changed, but I'm getting better at realizing them.

I accidentally slept through new years, though I was able to wake up early enough to take a morning run. Almost nobody else was out there, which was kind of surprising and probably a foreboding start to a lot of resolutions.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
I accidentally slept through new years, though I was able to wake up early enough to take a morning run. Almost nobody else was out there, which was kind of surprising and probably a foreboding start to a lot of resolutions.

Unless "getting more sleep" is their resolution, of course.

Dikiyoba hasn't decided on a resolution yet. This means a resolution on not procrastinating is off the table.

My resolution is to not quit my job now that I have to enter the past 4 months of data into a new data bass that we are using (copy paste doesn't work).

The pay is nice but it gets so boring sitting in an office entering numbers and fixing other peoples reports for 8 hours a day on top of 6 hours of homework.

Since I'm so ambitious, I resolved to finish all ongoing (non-work-related) long-term projects, most of which involve my house or yard. It's a convenient way to delay facing the fact that I will fail my resolution until spring, at least.

Of course, that does also include any ongoing Internet projects, soo...

Originally Posted By: KrataLightblade
Become more active on internet forums in the hopes of spending more time with interesting and entertaining people.

That's a dangerous resolution to make in a place like this. And it will cost you your sanity, if it hasn't already. The fluffy turtles do like their tribute, you know. But we're always happy for new blood! smile

As New Year's resolutions tend to make me feel restricted to only improve myself once a year, I made one a couple of years ago to never make them again. Thus far, it's the only resolution I've ever managed to successfully keep resolved.

That said, I'd like to release BoA: Taskmaker, so that I can actually move on to some of the other projects I've had saved up over the years. But that doesn't count as a resolution; just a goal.

Originally Posted By: A Disquieting Silence
That's a dangerous resolution to make in a place like this. And it will cost you your sanity, if it hasn't already. The fluffy turtles do like their tribute, you know. But we're always happy for new blood! smile

I've spent the last week showing off the plushie STDs I got for Christmas and sleeping next to a stuffed Cthulu head. I'm not sure I have any sanity left to steal.

...Besides. I have penguins.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
You could always try too feed your insanity to the fluffy turtles like I did. Not all of us have sanity to leave at the door, after all.

I'm rather fond of my particular brand of crazy. Besides, I'm not sure I could do much more than squee at the top of my lungs at fluffy turtles.

Originally Posted By: Oviraptor
Some antibiotics would clear those up in no time, you know.

Dikiyoba.

The same person who gave me plushie Chlamydia and plushie Herpes also gave me the plushie Penicillin to fix them right up.

So I'm good there!

I was shocked when I learned koala bears were dying in swarms from chlamydia. But plushies? I know, why not? But somehow ... I'm pretty shaken up by this information.

(My grandma gave me a stuffed koala when I was a little kid. I think it had real koala fur, actually, so it technically wasn't a plushie. Maybe the koala who furnished that fur died of chlamydia, though! At that age, I took no particular steps to isolate that stuffed koala from my other toy animals. I may very well have had Plushie Chlamydia Case Zero! This is again disturbing.)

Of all my goals for last year, I only completed two: getting my 6-gallon blood donation pin, and building a new computer.

This year, my only real goal is to make and release the scenario I meant to do for the 1/10 randomized contest.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Originally Posted By: Myself, 1 year ago
My resolution for next year: Spend New Year's Eve doing something away from my family.

...dangit. Next year, I swear.

I think I'll add that to my list too. Maybe a bunch of us could get together and do a "ball drop" of our own, but use a spider instead (preferably not a real one; I'm a bit arachnophobic).

• 2 weeks later...

Addendum to my goals for 2011: Buy the Geneforge Saga CD. I had thought about doing this last year during Spiderweb's Holiday CD sale, but in the end decided to get both Avernum trilogy CDs instead.

Originally Posted By: Aequitas
Seeing as I type this while holding a banana/chocolate chip muffin does not bode well for this year either. I'll be paying for that...
That's okay. As I was typing this post, I ate a few Christmas cookies.

• 4 weeks later...

:necro:

We seem to have forgotten this resolution thread:

Resolve!

Of last year's resolutions, I completed two: Be able to play viola again, and don't drop out of college. Can't say that I've met any other of my goals. The daily bible reading went to the wayside round march and as for intentionality... I intended to make this post on the first of January sooo I'm going to call that a fail.

Haven't really made any new resolutions. I think if I can manage to stay in school another year that'll be good. On the upside, I'm finally getting into classes that have something to do with computers and computer languages. My individual assignments say I can create a new website or revise a pre-existing website for them... I can finally do something besides crank out a 6 page essay every week. Woot!

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Get through Avadon: The Black Fortress as a singleton in torment difficulty. That may be harder than it sounds.

Well I completed my New Year's resolution, so I can rest for the rest of the year.

It doesn't count until version 1.1 is out!
Speaking of release...