Clever ways to prevent combat abuse?

Enraged Slith

I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent players from activating special encounters while in combat, using realistic methods (so nothing like having them enter a new town or needing them to use search to activate it.)

That first extra turn abuse is murder on the combat I like to write, and I want to keep them from doing it because I hate them.

The only thing I can think of is granting haste to the monsters and casting slow on the party every time the player should try to exploit the delicate balance I've erected.

I could also block them from entering the space while they're in combat mode, but that hurts suspension of disbelief and could lead to them accidentally skipping over the special encounter with the end combat warp.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
I could also block them from entering the space while they're in combat mode, but that hurts suspension of disbelief and could lead to them accidentally skipping over the special encounter with the end combat warp.
I seem to recall the "blocked to monsters" property also affecting placement of characters when exiting combat mode; with that, you might be able to solve the latter problem.