Avadon on Steam

Madd The Sane

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well nikki getting out of your chair is too much effort! and what redundancy is there for a house fire? or @master1 a hard drive failure or format? I recently got a new computer and had to load up a new windows (64bit) but with steam I just backed up my 90 odd games and put them on in the space of an hou, saves me having to chuck in a bunch of cd's.

it's the digital age man, quit living in the past! except for jeff's games, they're an ok example of the past to continue using...

Originally Posted By: Master1
My centralized service is called a hard drive. Until Cloud takes over the world, it will work just fine. Of course, I only have one computer to use, so the convenience of Steam's online collection is offset by my ability to play offline.
Steam allows you to play games offline.

Originally Posted By: Uberwiggett
@master1 a hard drive failure or format? I recently got a new computer and had to load up a new windows (64bit) but with steam I just backed up my 90 odd games and put them on in the space of an hou, saves me having to chuck in a bunch of cd's.

My hard drive actually just died, but I have a nifty device called an external hard drive. I have backups on that, plus a number of install discs and whatnot.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Steam allows you to play games offline.

Well then, I'll stick with my "I want an Intel computer" excuse.

The only games I have on Steam are the Orange Box and the two Duels of the Planeswalkers. Most of the time I boot up Windows, I'm not going to be playing those games, so I don't have Steam load on startup. And it's a pain in the butt to load Steam just to play one of those games. I still prefer running the games directly.

I'm not sure how this perception continues to be so common, but you do NOT have to be online to play your Steam games. I live in the woods and lose my cable connection a couple times a month (forest + wind = downed lines).

Unless the game's publisher has some kind of other DRM implemented, you can load up Steam and play just fine without a connection.

Also, not all games you buy on Steam require the Steam client to be loaded, that again depends on the implementation of the publisher/developer. Many games can be launched with a shortcut directly to the EXE just like they were installed from anywhere else, although this is admittedly more hit and miss and difficult to determine before buying short of just asking other users on the forum to verify.

Originally Posted By: Uberwiggett
yeah I really dislike the idea of having to log into a new service for every different game I have...

Because there is any other using a client like Steam? I'm using Gamers Gate, Gog, Mac App Store, Some local digital store you don't know, none of them require a client.

For all it's just for installing again the game that you need connect to the site and see your list of game to download and install. And for all appart for installing you don't need connect if the game itself doesn't require it, like for boxes.

Steam is definitely intrusive but yeah it can be a very minor trouble overall.

Myself I never buy full price game at Steam or any other, the only full price games I buy are boxes. The trouble with boxes is most of them require the CD in, and that's quite ugly. On Mac a game editor porting some games offer the choice, have the CD or register once connected and then no need of CD. Alas not many boxes have that.

About running a Steam game not connected, in theory this is possible but in practice a significant number of games have bugs in such mode. It's possible that it is improving.