Q&A with IMG about Mac-Gaming & Avadon

The Ratt

Yeah, he really doesn't say anything about Avadon, aside from the fact that its a new series and coming out in February.

I don't really know what onlive is, but I'm not a huge fan of Steam. It's alright on PC if you play online multiplayer games with your friends (like Alien Swarm), but otherwise its completely unnecessary.

And don't even get me started on Steam for Mac. It still sucks. Any really good (imho) game thats on Steam will still need bootcamp. frown

I'm a big fan of Steam. In theory I prefer Impulse, since they don't add DRM, but Steam has a lot more games, features, and bigger sales, so they tend to win.

Digital download is a big plus for me. I hate having to keep tracks of discs, CD Keys, and Registration keys, and Steam largely does away with that. Sure, I can't resell my games, but that's not something I do anyway.

The only complaint I've ever had about Steam is that they can be slow to patch lesser-played games. It took a long time for Eschalon Book 2 to get their 1.04 patch on there. When I was playing Sacred 2, it took Steam 2+ months for some of the patches, and during that time it was impossible to play on the official servers since you needed to be patched to the latest version to do so. It's rare that something like that happens, but it does happen, and it's frustrating when it does. Whereas on Impulse, they don't add their own DRM, so if the publisher releases a patch, you can just patch it yourself.

I'd definitely recommend Jeff not ignore Impulse as a distribution platform, though.

The main advantages of Steam, as I see it:

1. You can play on either Windows or Mac. That's handy if you use both and might game on either. It preserves your investment if you switch your primary (or only) computer from one OS to the other.

2. No media in the optical drive to play. That's huge for those games that use a CD/DVD as their method of DRM enforcement. There's a reason that no-CD hacks are popular with legitimate purchasers of games. I game on a desktop and take very good care of my optical discs. I still absolutely despise CD-based DRM. For example, I will play Civ V if and when it becomes playable--through Steam--on a Mac that I own. The (true) system requirements are too steep for me, right now. The fact that I can also play it on a Windows box is irrelevant--for me. Others may appreciate the flexibility of firing up Windows for the express purpose of playing a game.

As others have stated, the negatives for Steam are more pronounced for Mac users. One example is higher system requirements to achieve the same quality.

Originally Posted By: tehpineapple
And don't even get me started on Steam for Mac. It still sucks. Any really good (imho) game thats on Steam will still need bootcamp. frown

Steam doesn't port, it just sells games. The porting problem is another can of worms entirely.

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
As others have stated, the negatives for Steam are more pronounced for Mac users. One example is higher system requirements to achieve the same quality.

Again, this is not Steam. Mostly, this is the use of Cider as an alternative to true ports. The upside is that it's much easier and faster to get Windows games running on Mac, which means more games actually make it to the Mac. The downside is that it's far more inefficient with the system than re-writing code. The games end up far more demanding and prone to glitches and lag as a result.

—Alorael, who is in favor of Steam for the simple reason that it's an easy way to buy games. Sometimes it's easier to buy from the company, or from the local store, or from Amazon. But in cases when the usual DRM is draconian, or when cross-platform use is desired, or when Steam has huge sales, Steam is great.