Real Identity ![G5]

Originally Posted By: Dantius
There's like five, and each has about a tenth of the information necessary to be comprehensive, and a good deal of that information is either false, misleading, or just made up.

Just FYI.

That will make me first of my kind. A thorough Game Archaeologist for Geneforge. Any other Game Archaeologists here? (Official, please)

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Again, HAH.

Dikiyoba.

It's funny to imagine that in a few more centuries, "internet historian" will probably be a legitimate historical discipline, with classes and academic journals and professors and everything. Hell, it might only be another few decades, even. Just imagine what some of the lectures or articles would be like.

It's funny to imagine that in a few more centuries, "internet historian" will probably be a legitimate historical discipline, with classes and academic journals and professors and everything. Hell, it might only be another few decades, even. Just imagine what some of the lectures or articles would be like.
A lecture on the origins of pirate-vs-ninja meme would be interesting to watch. Or on lolcats.

Naah, it wont be a legitimate historical discipline. Nobody would be able to take a lecture on lolocats seriously. And then the flame wars would begin, this time with real flames.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
A lecture on the origins of pirate-vs-ninja meme would be interesting to watch. Or on lolcats.
Or the origin of fluffy turtles and their insatiable appetite for sanity. tongue

I imagine that such a history class on the macro level would actually be quite interesting. After all, while the spread and use of memes has played out quickly and rapidly on the micro level, such stuff has also been coopted into common use in a more toned down version, while the shorthands and lingo of the earlier days of the Internet have been rejected by the mainstream. Not to mention the migration toward using social networking, and further developments yet to unfold.

Originally Posted By: Tirien

Naah, it wont be a legitimate historical discipline. Nobody would be able to take a lecture on lolocats seriously. And then the flame wars would begin, this time with real flames.

If you knew some of the stuff historians have spent time researching... I have no doubt that, given enough time, even lolcatz and pirates-versus-ninja will become subjects of historical research. They'll write up scholarly articles to publish, and they'll even manage to make it dry and boring. Don't underestimate what "scholars" are capable of. Just wait. smile

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Originally Posted By: The Voice of Atalantë
What ever will happen to those quaint little archaeology departments with their special brushes and plaster casts? What good will they be in a pair of centuries? frown

There will be a museum dedicated to the more primitive techniques used in archaeology.

Oh. And again: frown

I am sure there will be new "archaeology" departments dedicated to breaking PGP's old encryption so that they can read old presidents' virtual journals.

Originally Posted By: The Voice of Atalantë
What ever will happen to those quaint little archaeology departments with their special brushes and plaster casts? What good will they be in a pair of centuries? frown

Dusting off old computers found in junkyards across the land. smile

Seconded. If Lysistrata and Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel (in which the main character literally kills an enemy army at least two enemy armies by drowning them in his urine) can be serious literature and cultural history, I think lolcats can be serious history too. And I've taken classes that teach the former as serious literature/history.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Ok although I have been playing Geneforge series for years this is my first post here, so please be gentle about topic necromancy and forgive me if this was talked before, and for all other disturbances in the force :) 

I was reading here all those identity theories and this occured to me that G2 PC can be shaper Khyrk. I have no big proof for this but I'm sure one of the endings of G2 told that PC returned the shaper council as a loyal one and gained their respect and continiued his life as a respectable and powerful shaper. In G3 we also found an agent's drawings in his chests. So what if that agent was Shanti and Khyrk avenged his former master and purged drypeak and returned to the council, and in years stationed in Ashen Isles as a loyal shaper. But he also has seen too much, Drypeak, rebellion, Ashen Isles and even G3 PC... so in time he decided to leave everything like he did in G4. And as theories go, maybe he was trying to see what happened to G3 PC who he met years ago and that's when he was caught by Monarch who was actually G3 PC gone mad.

Too much?

• 3 months later...

I think the Geneforge 5 player character is somebody from Geneforge 2 as the game mentions the character being seized at Drypeak.  Considering he is a lifecrafter and has gorged on canisters, my gut says Sammann could be the Geneforge 4 PC.  MOnarch is either the PC from Geneforge 1 or 3.  Nothing is confirmed though

Edited by Superdeath25