Newer Windows 3D Editor missing graphic?

Xoid

Downloaded Ishad Nha's updated 3D editor. The window loads up, inside is solid red, this error message appears:

Graphic Missing

Blades of Avernum was unable to find or load graphic 4919. Make sure the editor is in the Data folder of Blades of Avernum (and not in a sub-folder). Also, make sure all graphics are where they should be.

Double-checked the archive; 4919 isn't included.

So it's looking for a graphic that's not actually used? The older version of the 3D editor didn't ask for it. So that'd make it a remnant of a feature that was commented out originally, or that you were going to add and didn't properly excise when it didn't pan out. I'd actually be less concerned if it were the latter, the mere possibility that you uncommented some buried relic of Jeff's already less-than-stellar code gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
should mean nothing

While it doesn't seem to affect anything, I'm not sure I want to screw around with this newer version if you're not certain it's a non-issue. (No biggie, the version that KernalKnowledge12 compiled for me years back still works well enough and doesn't have the annoying 'click' sound present in every other version of the editor.)

Quote:
As for the 4919 problem I will need to check the source code at some point.
Edit:
That is a remnant of something found in earlier versions of the source code, it should mean nothing.

Yes, it looks like something vestigial that ought to be removed. The variable into which the graphic is loaded appears literally never to be referenced anywhere else.

Quote:
So that'd make it a remnant of a feature that was commented out originally, or that you were going to add and didn't properly excise when it didn't pan out. I'd actually be less concerned if it were the latter, the mere possibility that you uncommented some buried relic of Jeff's already less-than-stellar code gives me the heebie-jeebies.

It's hardly worth making this big a deal out of. It's stupid, it's broken, and we should fix it, but it's not as though this is software for a vital communications satellite or a nuclear submarine. In addition, this is hardly the only useless left-over code in the editor, it just happens to be one that makes itself noticed by being annoying.

Quote:
doesn't have the annoying 'click' sound present in every other version of the editor

Does the Windows editor not have a preference switch to turn off sounds?

EDIT: It seems that this change got in in revision 58, and while I didn't check thoroughly, it doesn't look like it ever did anything. In revision 70, it is gone again, as of just now. (The code appears to compile, although I can't entirely verify this at the moment, since I'm working on my Mac.) Today's lesson: check svn status and svn diff before you commit, so you know what you are committing.

"Does the Windows editor not have a preference switch to turn off sounds?"

There is no such command on any toolbar, there is no provision for any preferences at all.

While we are at it we could have a provision for turning off the automatic placement of terrain if the user wants, that can go haywire at odd moments.

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
While we are at it we could have a provision for turning off the automatic placement of terrain if the user wants, that can go haywire at odd moments.
Can you be more specific? That sounds like it may be nice to have, but I'm not entirely sure what it is you're referring to.

If you are using the mixed floor types, 45 thru 56, you can mess up the entire arrangement under certain circumstances. You can flip floor types so they are no longer correct.

In A Small Rebellion go town 5, Muck, and place terrain at x = 20, y = 13. This should cause a change in the floor type. It is a rare bug, I could probably find the cause in the source code.