The Halloween Thread!

nikki.

So, yes, I'm late. But, I'm sure you all did something awesome for Halloween, and dressed up to do the awesome thing/things, and that's what I'm interested in!

I was late, unfortunately, but since it's All Saint's Day, I decided to dress up as both the Appleton sisters and marry a band member from Oasis. If you have a better costume than that, post it here, so we may all "ooh" and "aah" over them!

(P.S. I was in no way forced to start this thread.)

Halloween is far less important that the events going on today, and yet I seriously doubt that there will be a thread on that event, and I furthermore will hedge my bets by not even mentioning the name of the event to which I am referring to to avoid upsetting anyone.

That said, I handed out candy. I was sure it was my favorite type of candy to insure that when I inevitably had some left over, I would actually enjoy it instead of just giving all the rest to the first person who came after 7:00 and calling it a night.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I did nothing interesting for Halloween, unfortunately.

However, I did go see Rocky Horror last weekend (for the first time in a theater), and I was in costume, so I guess that counts. And no, there are no pictures. You're welcome.

Which character did you dress up as?

Didn't anything special for Halloween, of course. Made up make-up and produced some clothes to wear for my little sister though, who insisted she get to go candy-trekking with her friends. We almost didn't, because the majority of the day me and mother were at her parents' place, wondering what needs to be done for a funeral, since grandfather had passed away during the night. So that was a kind of a tiring day. :\

Wish we could welcome you back under happier circumstances, Riibu.

I spent Reformation Day hiding in my basement, with all the lights off upstairs, so no costumed hooligans would come knocking at my door demanding my precious, precious candy. But seriously now: everyone in my house is too old to go door-to-door asking for candy handouts, and there are very few young families living on our street, so I think there were only several groups of ruffians at our door.

On a side note: what's the standard "Give us candy or else" expression people use? Here it's usually "Trick or Treat!", but years ago you'd have the occasional "Hallowe'en Apples!" From what I can tell, the expression is limited to Western Canada. Of course, as kids we preferred the extended "Trick or Treat! Smell my feet! Give me something good to eat! Not too big! Not too small! Just the size of Montreal!"

I played Minecraft from 8AM to 9PM. Then I ate the candy we didn't put in the bowl.

Why from the stuff not put in the bowl you ask? Well, I got lazy and put it out in front of the door with a note that said "Take one please." Apparently someone disagreed with this. So they took the bowl and all at roughly 3PM.

It was a nice bowl too frown

Originally Posted By: Benjominy
We almost didn't, because the majority of the day me and mother were at her parents' place, wondering what needs to be done for a funeral, since grandfather had passed away during the night. So that was a kind of a tiring day. :\

Aw, I'm sorry. My uncle died just before Halloween, so I was with family making arrangements for the funeral as well. The children who came to the door were probably more frightened by crying adults than by any Halloween standard.

—Alorael, who supposes he should remember this and make a grown-up fear costume next year.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Which character did you dress up as?

Riff Raff. I've definitely got the hair for it.

Janet is by far the best character to dress up as. Yes, there are photographs somewhere, but it was several years ago, and so far they have managed to avoid being digitised.

Originally Posted By: Ackrovan
Why from the stuff not put in the bowl you ask? Well, I got lazy and put it out in front of the door with a note that said "Take one please." Apparently someone disagreed with this. So they took the bowl and all at roughly 3PM.

That sucks. Dikiyoba's family has done that lots of times and never had anything like that happen. (Of course, it probably helps that we have a dog who barks whenever anyone approaches.)

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
On a side note: what's the standard "Give us candy or else" expression people use? Here it's usually "Trick or Treat!", but years ago you'd have the occasional "Hallowe'en Apples!" From what I can tell, the expression is limited to Western Canada. Of course, as kids we preferred the extended "Trick or Treat! Smell my feet! Give me something good to eat! Not too big! Not too small! Just the size of Montreal!"

I've only heard "Trick or treat" or, in the case of the really young kids who are still intimidated by strangers, "...". I've heard the feet version as a joke, but for obvious reasons it ends at "Give me something good to eat!"

Dikiyoba.

Yeah, I've heard that one too. Fortunately, I didn't hear it this year. I did, however, have a three-year-old yell "Trick-Treeeet!"

Anyway, here's how my Halloween went:

I worked for a few hours in the morning and afternoon at a local pizza place.

Then, for the umpteenth year in a row, I got stuck with the job of passing out candy. I don't really mind; I like kids (never finished one, though... tongue ). Besides, I managed to steal a few pieces of candy (from the bowl, obviously) during slow periods.

Hmmm....Now that I think on it, maybe that candy was the reason the following day was a bit surreal for me....

Dressed up as a member of the spanish inquisition, would ring a doorbell, when someone answered, I would yell "Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!", then run off. It was worth not getting any candy. Then agian, i doubt i would have been able to get any since the beard makes me look about 8 years older...

I carved a pumpkin as goofily as possible, with a friend and her grand-daughter. It has blueberry pupils, a slice of beet for a tongue sticking out, and parsley hair. It's sitting on a stump by the front door. I will enjoy watching it rot into oblivion over the next month.

-S-

This is why staying inside handing out candy isn't losing at all. The little kids are awesome. They have no idea what this is all about, they're clearly kind of alarmed by the whole thing (as any rational being would be), but they obviously figure that if total strangers will give them candy, they'll do whatever it takes.

Hallowe'en is this total pagan thing, which the Christian church brazenly co-opted, by staging a pretty unnecessary festival on the next day. But that's an example of why I'm a Christian. Those ancient Christians believed they were really right — and therefore had no problem whatever in recognizing that sometimes other people were right, too. To me there actually seems to be something spiritually profound about little kids at Hallowe'en. Frightening things are really about candy — that's not the whole truth, but it's a truth.