In Honor of Laborers

The Loquacious Lord Grimm

Today, in the US, is Labor Day.

In recognition of this federal holiday honoring labor organizations, let us take the time to recognize the laborers among our ranks...

Or, in lieu of that, just post your job.

The Silent Assassin is in the business of making your life interesting.

Also, remember to check your closet tonight.

Real Estate Photographer.

The Silent Assassin is also involved in independant weapons and stealth research.

So if you hear a random set of flip-flops in the night, and notice the strong scent of pineapple... it's probably your imagination. Best not to dwell on it.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Physicist / neurosurgeon / test pilot / rock star.

Does your physicist/test piloting involve adventuring in the eighth dimension?

My job as a (student) physicist, involves remaining firmly in our standard set of four dimensions, and typing on a computer a lot. I do get to program computers which are at the south pole, though.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Sorry, recruiting for higher level positions is closed. You're welcome to join the Legions of Terror, if you wish.
How are the hours? Any benifits? What are the wages like? Is their a union? Do I get free pie? How many fingers am I holding up? Are they my fingers or did I cut them off of some hobo living under the bridge? How many licks to the center of a tootsie pop!?

Originally Posted By: Lilith
right now i'm basically living off rental income from the properties my family owns

i'm pretty sure that technically makes me a capitalist ;_;
Are you not a teacher?

Also, I am a grocery store clerk. I hate people because of my job. And I worked last night without holiday pay.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Nikki
International crimefighter.

Does this mean we can't rob any more banks together? frown

If we use the funds to create a greater good, I don't see why not. I'm sure Bond broke more than a few laws whilst duking it out with SPECTRE, and he got the girl AND a clean rap sheet.

i don't really relish the thought of explaining to a room full of 15-year-olds why Mr. X is now Ms. X

I'm sure your school would have solved that problem for you by reassigning far enough away so that no one knew your previous incarnation.

A worse problem would have been that people meeting you for the first time would automatically assume you were less intelligent because you are a female. It's happened and the person was upset at seeing earlier work getting higher regards than current work.

right now i'm basically living off rental income from the properties my family owns

No, it makes you a feudalist - a 'Victorian' in the purest sense. laugh

Sorry, Queenslander jokes don't even raise a smile any more - Victorians are much more fun.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Shame, you seemed, from what the internet told me, to be a good one. I mean, heck, you play video games!

i don't really relish the thought of explaining to a room full of 15-year-olds why Mr. X is now Ms. X

You could just use a unisex title like "Professor X" as opposed to Mr. X or Ms. X.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I got a job offer just yesterday at the place I've been interning for 6 months. Took all of five seconds to think it through, and now I am officially a paid QA Tester/Game Designer. laughlaughlaugh

Still kinda reeling.

Congratulations!!!!!!!! Sounds pretty interesting. smile

Australia uses the British system of academic ranks, in which only the most senior grade of university faculty are called professors. Doctor is a more easily obtained unisex title, but Lilith isn't officially there yet, either. I think she should go for it, though. It's a silly paper credential, sure, but it might go a little way toward correcting stupid expectations of low intelligence. And grad school is a good place to let part of your life go slow and recover while focusing on other parts.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Australia uses the British system of academic ranks, in which only the most senior grade of university faculty are called professors. Doctor is a more easily obtained unisex title, but Lilith isn't officially there yet, either. I think she should go for it, though. It's a silly paper credential, sure, but it might go a little way toward correcting stupid expectations of low intelligence. And grad school is a good place to let part of your life go slow and recover while focusing on other parts.

That whistling sound was an X-men joke flying above your head at several times the speed of light.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer

I'm sure your school would have solved that problem for you by reassigning far enough away so that no one knew your previous incarnation.

Keep in mind that we're talking about high school here. I'm not sure most high schools are large enough for that, unless Lilith is less physically recognizable than I would imagine.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity

i've burned a lot of bridges as far as academia goes, and the reason i left in the first place was that i was burnt out to the point of being suicidal

i really, really don't want to go back for another 3+ years to get a phd

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Originally Posted By: Randomizer

Keep in mind that we're talking about high school here. I'm not sure most high schools are large enough for that, unless Lilith is less physically recognizable than I would imagine.

Where Lilith would teach is irrelevant; she'd have to do as much explaining at a new school as she would at the old school. Having a neutral title like professor as opposed to a gendered one would be largely irrelevant as well.

Dikiyoba.

Current job #1: working at a pizza place

Current job #2: individual income tax preparer, though I'm planning to switch to a tech support role

To a degree, I guess. I currently get about $400 a year from my stock market investments, so I probably fall into the same category, if not a similar one.
Originally Posted By: Master1
And I worked last night without holiday pay.
Been there, done that. I've had several fast food jobs over the years, and have worked every major holiday (except Thanksgiving and Christmas); I have yet to get more than regular pay without working more than 40 hours in a week.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Been there, done that. I've had several fast food jobs over the years, and have worked every major holiday (except Thanksgiving and Christmas); I have yet to get more than regular pay without working more than 40 hours in a week.

I actually get Sunday pay. An extra $2 an hour really helps!

Okay, I confess I'm not really up on the X-Men. In fact one of my best posts here, in my own opinion, was a confession of ignorance on this subject among others.

But, for the record, I actually am a professor, even in British and Australian usage, though the German system is different again. The issue here is whether or not I am allowed to call myself Prof. Dr. X, like professors with German doctorates, or only Prof. X, Ph.D., since my doctorate is only from Canada. This requires a government ruling, which I have not yet bothered to obtain.

My subject is theoretical physics. My workday is a lot like Niemand's, except with some administration thrown in. I have no mutant powers.

Not wanting to spend at least three years on it is always a fine reason not to do a Ph.D. Grad school is great except that it's also horrible, so it's never a good idea unless you really want to do it.

Have you read Portuguese Irregular Verbs or its sequels, SoT? The trials and tribulations revolving around the number of Doktors between Herr and Professor are a substantial part.

—Alorael, who finds it interesting how PhDs invariably describe the graduate student experience as a wonderful one filled with misery and suffering. (See also: PhD Comics)