The Super Serious Census Thread

Dikiyoba

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: VCH
Oh great we're creating cities. We all know how awesome they are and how awesome they were in the beginning. No thanks

Cities are awesome in certain ways but most have equally opposite aspects. Just because many cities have evolved to be crowded, unfriendly, polluted, etc. doesn't mean that cities have to be and always will be this way. Evolution to me means testing what works and moving forward while leaving what doesn't work behind. The online city has potential to be a quite workable construct.

The internet's great step for man is making immense amounts of information available nearly instantly? Want to know the per capita annual water use of Japan? Forget the library, use Google! Want some ideas for entertaining things to do on a rainy Seattle afternoon? Google! Or go to a website that lets you ask people, and ask away! Want to know how political candidates have voted in their previous offices? Google! Want to know how to get to Seattle from here on a rainy afternoon? Google!

Okay, so Google is the gateway to the internet, but you can replace it with whatever other search engine and get the same results. The internet is for knowledge.

—Alorael, who isn't sure it has quite revolutionized the world in the way of the automobile. On the other hand, he's not sure it hasn't or won't. surgery by wire and Skype and SourceForge. And eventually cyberimmortality, but there might be a wait on that one.

Yeah, maybe villages are really where it's at. Who knows? It'll be decades before it's really clear what the right take on all this is.

And yeah, Google knowing all is a big change, all right. I read somewhere once, and it seemed profound, that Gutenberg changed what it meant to be educated. Before printing, education meant memorizing texts. A learned person was someone who had committed many books to memory, because physical copies were extremely difficult to make, and consequently rare. You certainly could not get away with just knowing where to look something up, because you didn't have the book there to look it up in. You had to remember the fact itself. Then Gutenberg came along, and books were everywhere, and the most venerably learned monk was no better than a young yokel with a good library.

Now there's not even any point in knowing where to look things up, because you can just look anything up on demand. That's a change, all right. But it's one we've actually been getting used to for a while even before the internet. In another somewhere I read, and I believe it, that Einstein once surprised someone by not knowing the speed of sound. But, he supposedly said: "I'm sure it's a simple fact, that anyone can simply look up." And so it is.

It has gone a lot further today, though. The other day I got a decent introduction to Kripke semantics, just by surfing Wikipedia. I don't know whether this means that in the future everyone will be broadly educated, or no-one will. Time will tell, I guess.

It may have begun with Gutenberg, but the internet has gone much farther. You can look up the speed of sound instantly, but you can also look up good restaurants in your area, or any area. You can find the best deals on really obscure things and have them shipped to you. These used to require knowing who the right people were and either knowing them well enough to talk to them or having the temerity to go pester them for answers. Now, the entire world is your village to talk to over the pump.

—Alorael, who thinks its worth drawing the distinction between kinds of knowledge. You could always look up a passage in the Bible. (Well, always for about as long as there's been a Bible to read.) It's been possible to find tracts arguing about that passage's meaning for a very long time. But now you can find a debate between atheists, agnostics, adherents, and adherents to a completely different religion. Or you can debate it yourself. Knowledge isn't just faster, there's more of it and there are more kinds of available.

The diversity in available media has really affected how people get information and also has made education available to many who don't fit the traditional methods of learning. I enjoy reading and books generally but find that I don't devote much time to it - maybe because I am a slow reader. This also impacted on my schooling as TV was a far more stimulating option than homework.

Only recently - since buying a computer - have I rediscovered visual media as a way of learning by watching doco after doco on such a wide range of subjects which, in turn, has prompted me to read more as to verify and fill in gaps.

Maybe 50 years ago I would have been forced to 'learn' via the 3r's but life has taught me that round pegs don't fit into square holes and many people don't fulfill their potential simply because they don't fit the (once) narrow parameters of 'education'.

The Internet and computers in general have changed education in similar ways to what Gutenberg must have done. Teachers have, at their disposal, a treasure trove of sources that they can use to relate, associate, and teach their students with. This has made education much more versatile than mere lectures and book work, though those certainly still have a place.

Originally Posted By: No_More_PLL_Ever
Ahh! hijacked

Chill out. Topic drift happens, and it's not a bad thing.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
You do know that IQ tests are in no way a reliable indication of intelligence, right?

Yes. Yes! I have an IQ of 97 and you know what? Despite being surrounded by intellects that are allegedly many standard deviations above mine, I think I hold my own. I don't want to be undervalued, or to undervalue myself, because I've had the wrong number stuck to me in a file.

—Alorael, who doesn't think he has seen a census yet that hasn't drifted away from strict posts of information. Data demand discussion.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Insanity on a Stick
Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
...or IQs too many standard deviations above the norm...
Sounds like me. My IQ is at 200. TAKE THAT AVERAGE PEOPLE!

You do know that IQ tests are in no way a reliable indication of intelligence, right?

Dikiyoba.

I dunno. I find IQ test extremely useful for quantifying stupidity. For example, if you tell someone who thinks they're smart that you're in, say, Mensa, and they launch into a diatribe about how they scored ten standard deviations from the mean and are being oppressed, it's easy to dismiss them as not knowing what they're talking about.

But beyond using it to eliminate stupid people, it's really quite poor as a discriminatory tool. So I don't use it much.

You guys have horrible attention spans.

1. What is your name?

Ingvar.

2. How old are you?

3. Where do you live?

Iceland.

4. What is your favorite color?

White and red and green.

5. How many phones do you own?

I own some broken ones. I´m using a very nice cell phone my sister lent me.

7. Wait, what happened to question six?

Twice, daily.

8. Someone has just loaned you a time machine that can take you to any location on the planet during any time period. Where/when do you go?

A random pick from:

Chicago, 1920's.

Waterloo, Belgium, June 18th, 1815.

Athen, 399 BC.

Egypt, 3000 BC.

Or actually I want to go back and tell my old self to give the ones I love and care for the time they deserve and need, before they are gone, one way or the other.

9. If you were forced to change your PDN to something completely unrelated to its current form and your original username, what would it be?

I hate PDN's. People should use their real names online!

I guess people living in America feel different since the country breeds insane murderers likely to use such information more than other nations. I once thought it was because the US media like hype that America comes so badly off, but this does sadly not explain this phenomena.

10. If you could transform at will into any living animal, what animal would it be?

Fox.

11. It's ninja sliths versus pirate nephilim. Who should win?

Pirate Nephilim. I hope someone makes a scenario.

My Aim: novisionary.

I´m almost never online but when I am it would be fun to have someone to talk to, so add me!

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Originally Posted By: Droid
You guys have horrible attention spans.

Threads often don't stay on topic. It's generally true with any type of conversation.

Nonsense! We at Spiderweb are focused on relevant conversation like a lase- ooh, someone posted a butterfly in the Photo thread!

I agree with what most have said. I think that people on the Internet are more open with themselves, meaning that they share details they wouldn't IRL or say things they wouldn't. People are more open about their feelings, too. I mean, people tend to support others more, because in some way that extra layer of abstraction between you and them (whether it's a forum, AIM, or even a Video Chat) causes people to drop that 'wall' around themselves. Unfortunately, this also works the other way. See 4chan or the average Youtube comments section for more on that.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Sylae Corell
Sylae Corell (hence the PDN), because of the sex change I'll have later on in life.

sylae? really?

well, it's no worse than calpernia, i guess

I liked the sound of it.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
but seriously if you ever want to talk you can find me on AIM most of the time
okay, thanks.

1. What is your name?

The Penultimate Lord Grimm

2. How old are you?

As of this posting, three weeks short of 24 years.

3. Where do you live?

New Jersey

Green

Between my wife and I, 6.

But only two are in use.

It visited the Richard White forum.

8. Someone has just loaned you a time machine that can take you to any location on the planet during any time period. Where/when do you go?

I go off to my office in the future, where I shall steal all of the plans for the great technologies that I shall shortly invent.

9. If you were forced to change your PDN to something completely unrelated to its current form and your original username, what would it be?

Visionary

10. If you could transform at will into any living animal, what animal would it be?

A housecat.

The robot Vahnatai, of course.

1. What is your name?

The Silent Assassin.

2. How old are you?

Old enough.

3. Where do you live?

New Jersey.

Pink.

Don't reveal trade secrets.

To Rome, just to watch it burn.

Lettuce.

Are we allowed to change back at will?

Ninjas. Always.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Originally Posted By: Lime Pickle
Bots have names too you know! Sure, they may be annoying spam machines but they still have names!

Not true. I was never named.

Not that you know of, no. But, my dear Z204qp7, we have a name for you. Shoot, did I just give it away? Blast those random bits of code that evolve into intelligence!

• 4 weeks later...

1. What is your name?

Traci

2. How old are you?

31 I think, but I've stopped keeping track since 29.

3. Where do you live?

Wisconsin

Purple. Plum to be exact.

Four that will get a dial tone from the home line. Hubby has a cell phone paid for by work so I don't know if that counts.

It got lost in the process of bringing this thread back to life.

Australia. March 6th, 1982. 7:21:43am

Adrasha Vaux has been another favorite moniker of mine that I've never used here.

Mustang. I'd like the wind in my hair and my mane.

Ninja sliths, hands down. They're quicker and stealthier from ninja training and stronger with a thicker hide for being slith. No contest. Those kitties are going down.

1. What is your name?

Michael

2. How old are you?

3. Where do you live?

TN

green

did you check the couch cushions?

i dont because time travel is full of crap tongue

PureRockFury

grizzly

ninja sliths, hands down... pfft i dont think nephil would make good pirates lol, how many kitties like the water?

1. What is your name?

James C.

2. How old are you?

3. Where do you live?

New York

Green

Nothing, you just renamed it 7 rolleyes

The early Roman Empire, during the reign of Nero. I'd like to see if he was actually playing a violin. Kind of lame but I have a writers weakness for symbols.

Syrup Fish. Because what's better then Syrup and fish?

A wolf.

Ninja's would kill the Pirates long before there were aware of what is going on.

1. What is your name?

I already told you

2. How old are you?

3. Where do you live?

Indonesia

Green and red

Fell into plot hole

The end of world

Angriach

Chameleon

No one

1. What is your name?

Ernie

2. How old are you?

3. Where do you live?

connecticut

futuristic silver

including nonworking old phones about 10

black hole

ancient rome

purple cow

silver Dragon

Chuck Norris

1. What is your name?

I am masquerade, the mask smart enough not to tattle her personal details to the merciless internets.

2. How old are you?

I am between the ages of 10 and 25

3. Where do you live?

In the wonderful land of Oz, sometimes called "Australia" by the funny tea drinking people

Purple, preferably dark purple

One

It ran away with the circus in order to start a career as a one man flaming knife juggling and elephant act.

I qould go back to the 1700 and sink the ships of the first fleet with a lazer so that, hopefully, the aboriginals would be able to live in peace until the funny tea drinking people discovered the concept of racial equality and erradicated small pox. Im sure that Ireland is a very nice place to live.

A totally gregarious, floats in the airious yoyo

A kookaburra, and then i would laugh at peoples stupidity without fear of retribution. When i get board of that i'll go to he park and steal stuff from peoples BBQs

that depends on whether the pirate nephilim have pirate parrots or not, and how long they can resist eating them.

• 1 month later...

3. In a large house in the woods

4. If you ask me in person, I'd always say purple. I think it may actually be green, though. Or blue. Possibly red. Meh, no. Purple.

5. One plugged in, two that work, many that don't.

7. Adon took it with him

8. Probably to medieval times to get some good photos. Or if I can't bring my camera to the past, I'd probably visit somewhere pretty nowadays. Like New Zealand.

9. Adon Zek. Because he's someone I invented, and I'm beginning to dislike having my identity tied to someone else's books, however amazing said books might be. Not that I have the courage to actually change it, mind you.

10. My first instinct is a dragon, but on further thought . . . yeah, dragon. I want to fly, and a dragon would be safe from predators. Or if it has to be real, then probably like an eagle or something.

11. I have to think that the ninja sliths have a significant advantage.

• 3 weeks later...

1. What is your name?

Drew

2. How old are you?

3. Where do you live?

Falls Church, VA

Blue

I license 2 lines. I own or co-own 3.

Code Monkeys

2080 to find out what happens during my lifetime.

Probably something related to a WoW toon or two.

Probably an albatross.

Ninja sliths

Fun fact: Dikiyoba has been working on this thread on and off for over three years.

• 10 months later...

Necro for lack of wanting a new thread.

Originally Posted By: Dantius

I dunno. I find IQ test extremely useful for quantifying stupidity. For example, if you tell someone who thinks they're smart that you're in, say, Mensa, and they launch into a diatribe about how they scored ten standard deviations from the mean and are being oppressed, it's easy to dismiss them as not knowing what they're talking about.

But beyond using it to eliminate stupid people, it's really quite poor as a discriminatory tool. So I don't use it much.

Speaking of Mensa, I looked them up with their 'member benefits' but it didn't look all that great. I mean, other than an ego boost to lord over the other 97% and an 80% discount on Popular Science I'm not seeing anything worth the annual membership fee.

Am I missing anything? Anyone with Mensa experience who can vouch for the social aspect of it?

I joined once, and attended one meeting at which the people I met all seemed pretty flaky. Too many mystics and conspiracy buffs who were so smart they could see through all the conventional wisdom that they had never studied. Oh, that might not be fair; maybe I can really only remember one guy being like that. But it was a small group at that particular gathering, and my basic impression was discouraging.

I took the monthly magazine for a year, and it seemed to have too many sophomoric essays by people who weren't as brilliant and original as they thought they were. The puzzles were really hard, but not terribly interesting. There was a short column on business management that was always interesting and well written, and once there was a fantastic article on the furniture moving industry, by a mover.

On balance I didn't see enough reason to pay the membership fee, so I stopped.

I like this, lets have more threads like this! It is so FUN! ESPECIALY WHEN IT GETS REPEATING! Lets make ten topics like this >.>

1. What is your name?

Trenton

2. How old are you?

3. Where do you live?

Florida

Cobalt blue

-312 and a 1/2

I swallowed it and puked it back out as question 7

09-11-01 New york city

What is a PDN?

A Lion.

The ninja sliths of course! they have both strength and skill!

Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
Speaking of Mensa, I looked them up with their 'member benefits' but it didn't look all that great. I mean, other than an ego boost to lord over the other 97% and an 80% discount on Popular Science I'm not seeing anything worth the annual membership fee.

Am I missing anything? Anyone with Mensa experience who can vouch for the social aspect of it?

I turned them down when they asked mne to join for much the same reason. I started thinking what the meetings would look like, and pictured a bunch of guys sitting around talking about how smart they were while playing chess. Then I went and joined a heavy metal band instead.

Originally Posted By: Trenton the dragon lord
09-11-01 New york city

I'm actually surprised by this one. Why take the opportunity to visit a disaster?

—Alorael, who thinks one large problem with Mensa is that it's not selecting for very smart people. It's selecting for people who do well on IQ tests, value that trait, and want to advertise it and associate with others who agree. A high level of self-aggrandizement and inflated self-opinion seems likely, and a lot of interesting smart people will be off doing interesting, smart things in other organizations with more concrete aims.