Stuck in Beyond Good and Evil

Redemption

Rescued the girl but no one acts differently, including the officer who gave me the orders.

Love the scenarios guys. You all might want to try Realmz too, as 2 scenarios are now free. Any help is appreciated.

The best thing for everybody would be a quick walkthrough, b/c TruSite4Blades has no Alcritas walkthrus.

BoE build: 26.05.2010 Open Blades of Exile (Carbon?)

It's soooo similar to Exile. Everything is the same but you have more categories and attributes. It's just like normal DnD mixed with Exile. I still haven't found an RPG game that has as much in character generation as Realmz. If only it had the level up system of Exile, where you choose which stats to increase, instead of static stats that are only increased via magic items or rare potions. Exile has better spells, too.

Since I don't see an answer here to your question, 'scuse me for jumping in.

"Of Good and Evil" is just what the title suggests; choices.

Did you talk to the High Priestess, Sarah, in the Temple? She will tell you that you must always do what is right, regardless of the circumstances.

As you play through this scenario, you are going to have to make several choices; each will have its consequences.

That's the purpose of the Story-Line; for you to learn these consequences.

Make saves regularly and then, once you've completed it, re'start from one of the choices to complete it again that way. Then go back to another save to complete it that way.

You'll play, basically, two scenarios, each with a couple of minor variations.

Most important, IMOSHO, is to 'listen' to what the Author is saying in all his scenarios about war and its consequences.

me

Ahbleza, I understand all that -- that's why I really want to finish the game. But it's not working or I'm not doing it right. Are you saying once you've rescued Ithikotita, that's the end? I've talked to Sarah, I've talked to everyone I can think of, and no one does anything differently or gives me new orders.

Okay, so here's the problem.

In the original BOE, there were a lot of "features" that didn't work. Among these was the "Reveal Town" node. Reveal Town has two options - "Hide Town" and "Reveal Town"; I think "Hide Town" is the default. Unfortunately, in the original BOE, regardless of which option you checked, it functioned as "Reveal Town".

I'm guessing you're playing now with one of the open source BOEs, which have corrected many of the flaws of original BOE. The problem is, some scenarios that were programmed in original BOE were programmed to the flaws of original BOE, and don't function quite right without the flaws. Screwy, eh?

Basically, what's happened is a "Reveal Town" node has been called, but the default option wasn't changed, because, when I programmed this a decade ago, there was no point to change it. But now that you're playing a version of BOE where the bugs have (finally) been fixed, BOE is now 'hiding' a town; where the origianl intent was to 'reveal' a town. This ends up being a problem for several of my scenarios, a fatal one in OGAE.

I can send you a corrected version of the scenario if you send me your email.

-Al

Well thank you very much for the clarification. I don't think we need to trouble ourselves with fixing the map, there's got to be an easier way. (I just rescued Ithikotita in Open version 1.0, and am still stuck, but I rescued her using a save from another game.)

What would really help would be some quick walkthroughs for Alcritas scenarios, because without them people can't even know if the map is bugged or if they're just stupid.

In case I am just stupid, here's a more complete description of where I am:

Rescued the girl, talked to Clarke, who gave me the order to rescue, as well as Chaerephon, who is her father, and also all other Genmar Officers, such as Tyra and Pancho (Slith gate). When I go back to the little town I started in, it says "something's gone awry! You're teleported far away" and the scenario ends. I've talked to Priestess Sarah, and visited the Fairy forest, and spoke to Jodie, who says I need an amulet.

And just as some fyi, my name is Redemption b/c I'm playing that scenario currently. Cheers to great stories.

Yeah, after you've rescued Ithikotita, you're supposed to be "intercepeted" in a revealed town. Because the town is not revealing properly, the scenario is effectively broken. If you want, I can email you a corrected version.

I dont think there's any problems in Redemption. Lamentations is similiary broken. There's a minor problem in Falling Stars (you can't do the naga side mission).

-Al

Just finished. Ran into two problems but used some quick editor tricks to get through. (I couldn't get Khazi to come out, and also couldn't get into the Slith Fort's boss area). My solutions were to just add doors to the fort and to give myself the item needed later on.

A very enjoyable experience. At the end I was thinking similarities to "Crito," but the heroes didn't choose the same fate as Socrates.

Now to finding a way to finish "Redemption"....

Hi,

I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought it was a conventional "stuck in a scenario" type.

I wasn't around during the early years of BoE and had no idea that these problems had occured, much less that any scenarios of that vintage were still around.

A few years ago, when Traci's True-Site for Blades and Kelandon's Archive were established, I assumed that they had all the up-to-date scenarios.

I have a bit of detailed data backed up and will keep an eye on the board in the hopes of compensationg for my misunderstanding.

me

I'm not aware of any fatal bugs in OGAE beyond the initial "town doesn't appear when it should" one. IIRC, the Khazi doesn't come out, basically you have to just go in and kill him. The (hidden) Slith Fort can be accessed via a hidden underground passage near the petrified Sliths.

As far as not having the most updated scenarios... I won't really matter for the most part. Most designers (including myself) are long dormant, and these problem only started popping up with the new, open source BOE. I only know about this one because I decided to replay my scenarios on a lark a few months ago, and noticed the issue.

-Al

Seems like I'm coming up with the same problem as well. Could someone send me an updated copy, direct me to an updated version or tell me where the problem is so I can edit it myself?

Either of the three will be fine.

email: goldenskyangel at hotmail dot com

EDIT: I think I found the problem, town 7. Changed node. Now I'm going to restart the scenario and see if it works.

EDIT2: Hooray! (Used scenario text dump then searched for Show/Hide Town to track it dowm)

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Alcritas
In the original BOE, there were a lot of "features" that didn't work. Among these was the "Reveal Town" node. Reveal Town has two options - "Hide Town" and "Reveal Town"; I think "Hide Town" is the default. Unfortunately, in the original BOE, regardless of which option you checked, it functioned as "Reveal Town".

I'm guessing you're playing now with one of the open source BOEs, which have corrected many of the flaws of original BOE. The problem is, some scenarios that were programmed in original BOE were programmed to the flaws of original BOE, and don't function quite right without the flaws. Screwy, eh?

Exactly.
When i found the reveal/hide town node default, i asked the community whether we should fixed it or not and everyone seemed to agree that no one found the correct way it was working (the field 2a was checked instead of 1b if i remember correctly ...) and that fixing it would be harmless. So i fixed it and tested by going through several scenarios (i obviously didn't test the forementioned huge scenarios). Not founding any problem, the fix was added to the working version. Turns out i/we missed something wink

I don't have time to work on Blades of Exile anymore (hence the long reaction time), but since it's a game-breaking problem, i'll probably release a quick "fixed" exe that would force the old buggy behavior for legacy scenarios.

If i'm missing something important, don't hesitate to mention it.

Chokboyz

Edit : uploaded a patch that fix this problem.