Beta testers wanted!

Handyman

Hey! I'm almost done with my randomized scenario... It's got a fair deal of outdoor sections, but they aren't used very intensely... I need people who are willing to test it, like, tomorrow. I've procrastinated, but I'm almost done, so I'm gonna have faith. It shouldn't take more than a few hours, and I'd really appreciate it!! So, if you're interested, leave your email, and I'll get it to you sometime tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Handyman
Ok, I've sent out the beta version.

And as an aside, do you guys really think hiding your emails with "(at)" is going to trip up even the simplest algorithms? Heck, I don't even know if "name at subdomain dot com" would evade detection. Ah well--thanks again for the help!

It might be because of a spam filter on Spiderweb's part. Y'know, to avoid spammers that say "FREE VIDEO GAMES CLICK THE LINK" etc, etc. I've certainly run into forums where you can't link external web addresses for that reason. It's annoying but there are workarounds.

Quote:
And as an aside, do you guys really think hiding your emails with "(at)" is going to trip up even the simplest algorithms? Heck, I don't even know if "name at subdomain dot com" would evade detection.

Empirically, this seems to have some utility. While it seems like it would be pretty trivial to write an email address scavenger that would be smart enough to handle patterns like this, it appears that there's enough low-hanging fruit that the spammers mostly don't bother. Other than that, minor obfuscation of email addresses is just a habit for a lot of us here.