City of Hope: An Optimistic AIMHack Campaign

Lilith

So in my rush to be first, I never fully completed my character. Here's the missing details:

Click to reveal.. (Occupation/Alignment/Gender/Race)

Meredith Prosset

Human Female

Alignment: Distracted/Reproachful

Also a (proposed) inventory:

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)

Equipped:

1 wheel-lock handgun.

Leather brigandine.

Gold ring, engraved with the letter "S".

1 rapier, sheathed.

Backpack:

Pen/inkwell.

5 sticks of charcoal.

Paper.

6 rounds of ammunition.

Coin pouch (50 gold)

Bedroll

Waterskin/rations.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikki, the proposed additions to your character seem fine.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I refuse to be a spectator for this campaign unless the game master can assure me up front that there will be at least one artifact present that melts people's faces off.

That really all depends on what the players do with any artifacts they find, doesn't it?

Well, five people have responded so far and it looks like the first session is going to be on Saturday August 21st at 10 pm UTC. To convert UTC to your local time, please use the time zone converter. For those of you participating in the Dust Bowl campaign, this session starts at the same time of day as Dust Bowl sessions do.

Nalyd, if you can't make this time, let me know ASAP and we'll reschedule.

Originally Posted By: Nikki
Furthermore, I'm willing to make Meredith a secret Nazi, because everybody knows the best Indy films were the ones with jackboots and swastikas.
Now I'll be visualizing Meredith as Elsa from the third movie. Will this be accurate?

I hope Nikki's not subtly hinting that Meredith is going to betray the rest of us... rolleyes

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Nikki
Furthermore, I'm willing to make Meredith a secret Nazi, because everybody knows the best Indy films were the ones with jackboots and swastikas.
Now I'll be visualizing Meredith as Elsa from the third movie. Will this be accurate?

I hope Nikki's not subtly hinting that Meredith is going to betray the rest of us... rolleyes

As long as Sean Connery isn't present, you should all be fine.

(Of course, we are going to be looking for fossils, so who knows what'll turn up.)

I'll admit, initially seeing a time of 10 PM startled me a bit, but that was before I converted it to EDT. Works for me.

It'll be interesting to see how a civilian character works out. It's been an idea that's been sitting around my brain for a while now, but considering the focus there was on combat, I hadn't worked up the nerve to actually make such a character. Thing is, I always figured that it'd boil down to me sitting around for entire sessions while the party did stuff.

Worse comes to worse, I can always run a cheering squad from the sidelines during combat. tongue

On a side note, which room is this taking place in?

With three points in First Aid, you'll still be able to do stuff during combat, so that's good.

I was going to ask this earlier, but forgot: what does Martial (Shields) mean for Rowen's character? Is it just increasing the dodge chance, or is it for offensive stuff like bashing people with shields?

Originally Posted By: Nioca
On a side note, which room is this taking place in?

Hmm... well, it's not like we have to go with spidwebrp# for everything. Let's make the room SWcityofhope.

With three points in First Aid, you'll still be able to do stuff during combat, so that's good.

I was going to ask this earlier, but forgot: what does Martial (Shields) mean for Rowen's character? Is it just increasing the dodge chance, or is it for offensive stuff like bashing people with shields?

Rowen wanted 3 points in "Shield". There's no Shield skill, so I did the best I could. I think the way I'll handle it for now is to give a damage reduction whenever a physical attack only hits him by a small margin. If that becomes unbalancing I'll rethink things, but this isn't meant to be a combat-heavy campaign anyway.

Anyway, Triumph has put a great deal of work into his character and it's now ready to post:

Click to reveal..
Name: Phulax Pulonos
Race: Dragonborn
Alignment: Cheery

Strength 4
Dexterity 2
Intelligence 4

HP 14
Stamina 10
Speed 5

Magic (Transmutation) 3
First Aid 3
Composure 3
Streetwise 2
Nature 2
Martial (Improvised Melee) 1
Perception 1

Spells:

Teleport: instantly relocate something from one place to another place.

Le Couran’s Open Window: create small portal of brief duration linking two nearby points.

Meredith’s Gatesense: discern the presence of portals or teleportation use, along with a sense of where a portal might go and any other pertinent details.

Kleio: manipulate or close an existing portal. Costs 1 stamina.

Backstory:

As in other worlds, Mote lacks obvious career paths for the youngest children of aristocratic families. Still, Phulax came from an unusual background, and he has adapted. His story contains no tragic turns, no grand drama, not even the angst of being misunderstood. His nobleman father Pytheas is a highly respected explorer and captain in the navy of the Republic of Hiana (a truly unconventional occupation for a dragonborn). Captain Pytheas was a religious dragonborn, with a strong sense of honor and morality, and he instilled this perspective in all his children. As the youngest child in the family, there was no possibility Phulax would inherit the family title and serve in Hianantine politics. Other older siblings followed paths to service by studying and teaching history, rising to be an officer in the navy like their father, and becoming a priest. Despite having a strong desire to serve and help people, somehow none of those ever quite appealed to young Phulax. His family was wealthy enough he didn’t NEED to work to feed himself, so that was never an issue for him. He dabbled in the healing arts, but couldn’t see becoming a physician in his future. Being a nobleman’s son he naturally learned his way around a city and how to talk to people, as well.

Irrepressibly cheerful, Phulax remained hopeful about finding his calling in life, and one day, as he walked in the woods of Koros, an explosion, well, called him. A thunderous blast shook leaves off trees and a wave of heat rolled over Phulax. Curious, he hurried toward the source of the explosion: he found a charred crater, and an unconscious dwarf lying at the center. At least, he looked like a dwarf, though there was something slightly odd about him that Phulax could never identify. Seeing the dwarf was seriously injured, Phulax promptly began to administer first aid, before carrying the dwarf back home to treat more thoroughly.

Hoggle – that was the odd dwarf’s name. He was reasonably appreciative at Phulax’s treatment, though after a few days of recovery he was strong enough that he was capable of using his own magic to finish healing himself. Still, rather than leave immediately, he fixed with Phulax with a long stare. “You like to help people, don’t you?” A little puzzled, the dragonborn affirmed this. Hoggle pursed his lips and furrowed his brow. “Hmm…yes…I think you could do it…” He seemed lost in thought, but suddenly continued “Your world is awash with portals. There are nearly as many stray portals here as there are back home. By themselves, they can be dangerous, unstable, but on top of that people can accidently fall into them, or worse, people of ill intent can try to abuse them. That’s what I was doing when you found me, by the way—closing a portal.” Hoggle explained that he didn’t have time to deal with every rogue portal in the world, and offered to train Phulax in the basics of teleportation and portal management so that he could help the people of Mote with this issue. “Some need a portal closed. Others, who don’t belong here, need help to get home.”

Phulax eagerly accept the Hoggle’s offer, a chance unlike anything he’d ever heard of. Hoggle invested several weeks working with Phulax, and left him a number of hastily jotted notes as well. Phulax proved to a quick learner, and soon easily closed the small portals Hoggle would open for him to practice on. “Now, just keep practicing this stuff, and you’ll be fine.” he admonished. Before he departed through a portal of his own, Hoggle left Phulax one gift: an glowing trinket. “I have friends on this world; if you ever run into one of them, they should recognize it and know you work with me.” Once the dwarf vanished, Phulax continued trying to hone his skills, to read up on the few texts on teleportation he could find, and seek portals that needed closing. He took a couple trips to nearby islands, inquiring there if anyone needed help with portals. So far he has shut down just two, relatively benign portals; nothing all that dangerous occurred. Whenever he ran low on money, he’d return home to rest and restock his supplies. When word reached Hiana that Elpis has reappeared, Phulax decided to go. He’d learned from Hoggle that many odd things in Mote had some link to portals. Besides, all sorts of people are going to Elpis seeking aid and hope—and maybe, just maybe, Phulax can provide the help they need.

Equipment:

Padded clothes (pants and shirt)
Steel Cuirass (torso)
Mail Hauberk (under breastplate; torso and arms)
Steel Helm (head)
Steel Vambraces (forearms)
Leather Gloves (hands)
Leather Greaves and Cuisses (legs)
Leather Boots (feet)
Hooded Cloak
Cheap Metal Brooch (Magical, glows)

Inventory:

First Aid Supplies (20 uses)
Healing Potion (4)
Stamina Potion (4)
Concealed Pouch (100 Gold)
Compass
Rations (7 days’ worth)
Waterskins (2, full)
Small tent and sleeping bag
Small lantern
Flint and steel
Binoculars

Now that everyone's character is posted, it's time to give out the free starting perk. And the winner is... Nalyd, with Dyen Dawes!

Perk: Make Your Own Luck

Your life has been filled with misfortune, but somehow you always find a way to bounce back.

Whenever you critically fail a roll, your next roll receives a +4 bonus.

But as far as I'm concerned, you're all winners. Every one of the party's character concepts is interesting and I'll be looking forward to seeing how they interact in the first session.

Hey, it's an inventory for Lephista! (pending approval, of course)

Click to reveal.. (inventory)
Bronze labrys (two-handed)

Symbol of Mariona (worn around neck)

Horse (named Balbus) with saddle and bridle

3 Healing potions

1 Curing potion

1 Antivenom

First aid kit

Tent and sleeping bag, 3 days' rations, waterskin.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Rowen
I have a birthday party that I have to make an appearance at and act like age really has any meaning other then everyone is going to die.

You could always go as a clown.

Dikiyoba.

Yeah, I hear you can get a Nietzsche costume for cheap at party stores now.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Rowen
I have a birthday party that I have to make an appearance at and act like age really has any meaning other then everyone is going to die.

Dikiyoba.

wow, you're like, so educated and cultured!!!1!

edit: quote pyramid, GO

Originally Posted By: A horse!
Originally Posted By: Dantius

Dikiyoba.

wow, you're like, so educated and cultured!!!1!

Five exclamation marks, and a 1 in there? It's surely a sign of a demented mind!

Originally Posted By: A horse!
edit: quote pyramid, GO

As you wish.

EDIT: Quote pyramid is broked. Stupid UBB

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Poor Dantius having his pyramid scheme ruined.
Also...why would you have a horse...in your inventory? It just doesnt make sense, is the horse in your pack or pockets or something?!!?

An inventory is everything you have with you, regardless of how you carry it (or how it carries you).

If you're using a newer Windows OS, try a restore point. I had to resort to one a while back and it worked fine (thankfully, as apparently I can't get my box to do a factory reset any more).

Worst case scenario is go to your local library and try see if you can install AIM on a computer there if possible. If they have their computers locked down there pretty well, maybe try AIM Express? I've never used it, but apparently it's browser-only.