Sunday Topic - Ozone

grasshopper

Reputable, yeah. They still have the reporting problems that Lilith alluded to above. There are also issues with classification. For example, when (if ever) does rape count as a hate crime? That's a complicated question.

And speaking of classification issues, you'll notice that gender identity isn't even listed, but there is DEFINITELY violence against trans people.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Reputable, yeah. They still have the reporting problems that Lilith alluded to above. There are also issues with classification. For example, when (if ever) does rape count as a hate crime? That's a complicated question.

If it's reported as a hate crime by the victim? Not quite sure on that one...

And speaking of classification issues, you'll notice that gender identity isn't even listed, but there is DEFINITELY violence against trans people.

Does it exist? Almost certainly. Is it on par with violence against homosexual men/women? Probably not, because a) there are probably less transsexuals than there are gays, and B) it's an issue that has received nowhere near as much attention as gay marriage/gay rights has, so it's probably slipped under the radar.

Originally Posted By: Dantius

If it's reported as a hate crime by the victim? Not quite sure on that one...

I don't actually know this, but I imagine that classifying a crime as a hate crime or not is not based solely on what the victim reports.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Does it exist? Almost certainly. Is it on par with violence against homosexual men/women? Probably not, because a) there are probably less transsexuals than there are gays, and B) it's an issue that has received nowhere near as much attention as gay marriage/gay rights has, so it's probably slipped under the radar.

hahahaha i have a 1 in 30 chance of being murdered, yeah that ain't no thang

you don't know what the hell you're talking about and need to shut up right now

Originally Posted By: Lilith
hahahaha i have a 1 in 30 chance of being murdered, yeah that ain't no thang

Where did you come up with that number? It seems rather arbitrary, also data please.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
you don't know what the hell you're talking about and need to shut up right now

I'm looking through data and trying to figure out a pattern. It seems like you are arguing from personal anecdote. It's very difficult to figure out who know what they're talking about in those circumstances.

All right, I'm locking the thread. This makes me sad, because BOTH topics here (global warming and hatred towards groups) are important and interesting. But things have gotten a little too heated for Spiderweb.

Please, everyone, try and think about the impact your words are going to have on others when you post.