Presence and Oldbosity

Niemand

And maybe this explains why "oldbie" was such a persistent concept, beyond the asinine way some of them wanted to treat newer members. Drakey, Alec, and TM have now been essentially gone for 4-5 years. Most of our current members don't really know who they are -- might have heard their names but have certainly never seen them post. And yet, they put SO MUCH time and energy into this place when they were here, that they still outshoot anyone currently present on that count, even you and Thuryl who have been here the whole time, but made less noise about it.

It was the intensity of their presence that bound the term and made it stable, more than the "old" part.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Sword of Sleeping Memories
Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Eld
Well, to me, everyone that I didn't see join is a member of a mysterious, elite forum cabal to which I am but a worthless bystander.

this is actually true, it's called desperance

This was called Desperance. Today, Spiderweb is off the rails. Our future is uncertain. One single man or woman can tip the balance to a brave new future or to utter chaos.

No, wait. That's Geneforge.

You must... bring balance.. to the Force Spiderweb...

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Dollop of Whipped Cream is my title, thank you very much. It was given to me by Stareye when I asked him to remove Marlenny's title. I then added it to this account myself after the software switch when all the mods got that power.

Actually we all had that power briefly.

Originally Posted By: VCH
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Dollop of Whipped Cream is my title, thank you very much. It was given to me by Stareye when I asked him to remove Marlenny's title. I then added it to this account myself after the software switch when all the mods got that power.

Actually we all had that power briefly.

Yes, but mods continued to have that power after it was taken away from regular members.

I recall so many people had names from Marathon for "special" name, then later(much later maybe,I think) Alice in Wonderland took over for Marathon.

Who was Nuke & Pave?

Fire!Fire!Fire! ?

By Comittee?

And more, but my mind is blank now.

I had an account in 2002, then went away for two years, I think some people on these lists had already left when I got back. Never seen them around since, which is very normal I guess, some people don't stick around to things like these for a decade.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
By Comittee was Drew, Nuke & Pave was Zeviz, and Fire! Fire! Fire! was... Sir David?

Dikiyoba isn't sure about the last one.
Sounds familiar.

EDIT: Actually, it was "Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!" Four times. Thanks, Aran!

I had completely forgotten about karma. Did anyone actually care about it?

Stop turning this into a karma topic.

It's easier to just ban someone and skip the step of using the custom title of BANNED. It all about efficiency.

Besides most of you don't notice when someone gets banned. Alorael was especially upset when he was banned for a day and no one noticed.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
<pre><b>RETRIOACTIVITY IS IN THE AIR FOR UBB</b></pre>

Aha aha! Slarty strikes again. What new horrors will he unleash on the forum this time??? After all, if I remember correctly, and last time he summoned a giant cow and killed everyone. I'm not sure how he'll top that.

laugh

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Alorael was especially upset when he was banned for a day and no one noticed.

I'm not sure if this is a joke I'm missing or if I've forgotten getting banned. Both options worry me.

—Alorael, who vaguely recalls getting hit by an IP ban at some point. But wasn't that for all of a two hours?

Originally Posted By: boggle
For most of the past 5 years, I've been a lurker. Can I take oldbie status?

I've been a lurker for quite some time too, yet I have very few posts compared to many of the people here. From what I'm understanding of this, you can't be an oldbie unless you contribute to the community, and lurkers by definition don't do that.

Originally Posted By: waterplant
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
I just had a thought: When I hit "oldbie" status, what will today's oldbies be called? Ancientbies? Antiquebies? Foreverbies? Universal constants?

In an case, I don't plan on considering myself an oldbie until I've been here for almost a decade.

Pensionerbies?

just a guess...

What about "Senilebies"?

It's not a term that originated on Spiderweb, so I don't remember the term suddenly entering my vocabulary here. As best I can recall, it was already in use when I rejoined the forums and referred to members who had joined the Ikonboard in its first few days of existence, or maybe just to those who had been part of pre-Spiderweb forum Blades communities.

—Alorael, who certainly knows it was in use by April 2002. It came up in the ADoS banner and Misc mod election incidents.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
In which case, I suppose it is an issue for *i after all. Or maybe Thurilith. Anyone want to shed light on this?

I remember that a few years ago - two or three, maybe - there was a thread on what exactly an oldbie was. The consensus was that there were newbies, noobs, oldbies, and oolbs (an old noob). No one wants to be an oolb.

As far as the origin of oldbie in the SW community, it's almost as old as the forums themselves and goes back perhaps even to the Ikonboard days, even though I do not recall its use there. I was not heavily involved with Misc, where a brunt of the discussion on that sort of thing would have occurred. Perhaps you should bring it up with TM. He might know more.

I would find it conceivable that it was used on Ikonboard to describe people who's histories dated back to the Lyceum or Aceron's forums.

Originally Posted By: Frozen Feet
I'm surprised you actually bothered to include me in the list at all. <.<

Likewise.

Edit: Couldn't it break down to two pretty simple variables? On one axis, quantity of posts (with a minimum active period of say, two years). On the other, the totally subjective quantity "post quality" or maybe "post relevance".

Indeed, why not? You're clearly not shooting for the result. Since approval of various equations is contingent on how they sync with your internal perception, the goal must be to discover the components of oldbiness and their relative effects.

In such a situation, my temptation would be to work backwards, starting with an agreed upon order and examining what factors would produce such a pattern. Bad science if you're trying to prove something, but not an entirely unreasonable approach to discovering unspoken and subjective trends within a community.