Best Geneforge?/Help With Char

What is the best Geneforge? I see posted that many people like #4. Based on that the Shock Trooper seems like a good match with my play style (I like to fight along side of my creations and use some magic).

Then I see people say it's tough playing the game with that character. Any suggestions on which game to play and what character to start with? I have played #1 (as Guardian) so any other one besides that is fair game.

I'm also not sure about character builds or where I should spend my points. I see nice write ups for some of the games but not #4. Should I start with #5?

Any help or direction would be great. Thank You!

Yeah, G1, G2, G4, and G5 all have their partisans, and though there actually a couple people I've seen who like G3 the best, it is consistently rated below the others. Many like G1 the best for its plot and atmosphere, I believe. G1 and G2 probably have the most openness and freedom to explore. G5 has the most refined interface (some dislike some unfortunate...discontinuities in the game, such as a continent disappearing...). G4 has a more refined interface, combined with a well-developed (albeit somewhat grim) plot. G3 is a good game, but has a plot that is perhaps less interesting than some of the other games (not moving the story forward quite as much as some of the others and repeating a similar story to G1 and G2 in some respects). G3 also suffers from a boat-based travel system that is annoying and not found in any other game in the series.

G1 has the best end game rewards and best feeling of awesomeness. I still think the plot(s) of G2 wins though, especially if you have prior knowledge with G1. I didn't understand some of the stuff at first.

My ranking:

G2 - Plots (+ best powerplay)

G1 - Geneforge

G5 - Trogilites (sp?) + G4

G4 - Graphics and new combat system

G3 - Boat travel, the point of the game was to bridge to G4

Originally Posted By: Darkstar
Based on that the Shock Trooper seems like a good match with my play style (I like to fight along side of my creations and use some magic).

Then I see people say it's tough playing the game with that character.

I like the shock trooper's playing style. People think it's tough because they're used to being able to throw spells around. You don't get to do that as a shock trooper. You'll have access to healing spells and some blessing spells, but that's it. This means you concentrate on having powerful creations first and being tough enough to be useful in battle yourself second.

Dikiyoba likes G4 a lot but doesn't like G5 much. This is based almost entirely on the respective plots, however. The gameplay of both allows for a fun shock trooper run.

Originally Posted By: Unknown NPC
Originally Posted By: Triumph
(some dislike some unfortunate...discontinuities in the game, such as a continent disappearing...)

Really? I think I noticed something of that manner, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was exactly. Someone care to elaborate?

There were several (what's the opposite of a retcon?) in the game. For starters, in G4 it was explicitly stated that there were 9 Councillors, three from every subsect (Guardian, Agent, Shaper). In addition, there was second continent aside from Terrestia. G1 stated that the Shapers had been around for ~2000 years. In G5, one of the "oldest" Shaper fortresses had been around for two centuries- off by an order of magnitude. Things like that, mainly.

G2 was the first one I bought, although I had played G1's demo before that, so personally I place it above G4 and 5 most likely due to nostalgic reasons.

Thanks for clearing it up Dantius, and I wouldn't really call myself a purist but I do like story consistency. Usually I just stick with a preferred consistency and ignore the other one. Although about the Councilors: there are two provinces that are (or were) under Shaper control in G4 and 7 in G5. I would imagine that Alwan was Illya's councilor and the northern province's (can't remember the name right now) councilor was either killed or fled. Then Alwan was driven out of Illya, rose to power in Western Terrestia and replaced one of the remaining 7. This is my interpretation of it, there is no mention of this ingame.

The 2000 to 200 years thing bothers me though. I would prefer a median, such as 1000 years.