Games similar to Spiderweb Software games

Orc Lover

Originally Posted By: Orc Lover
I have played all the Geneforges and Avernums, and am eagerly awaiting Avadon. Until then, I was wondering if anyone could point me towards other games, that are similar in nature.
I tried Eschalon, but found the control scheme so frustrating and annoying that I could not play it.

Well, I've found a good plot-heavy story driven RPG for the Iphone/Itouch/(Ipad?) is The Quest. It's very addictive, just don't play the sequels after Islands of Ice and Fire (they are fan-made and the suuuuuuck horribly)

Never really liked the games before Geneforge 1 and Avernum 4 as much. Geneforge was my first Spiderweb game. The old engine never particularly caught my fancy. I enjoyed the demos, but not enough to buy the full versions. Didn't like the mechanics as much. Never tried Exiles though. Should I? Are they still worth it?

I'd say that depends largely on why you didn't like the first Avernum trilogy as much. The most I could suggest is to download and try the demo. Exile 2 is probably the best, followed by Exile 3. Or maybe the other way around; I'm not really sure. There are some things in Exile that (in my opinion) are better than in Avernum, such as the larger party or the greater variety of spells; on the other hand, the graphics are much worse. (Well... on average they're worse; some of the graphics are probably better than their Avernum counterparts.)

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted By: ecliptic
Ultima VI. Ultima VII. Fallout. Arcanum. Wizardry VII and VIII. Risen. Gothic I + II. Temple of Elemental Evil.

p.s. temple of elemental evil just got released on good old games

buy it. play it. it owns.

(but first find and install the big fanmade patch that's floating around the internet because otherwise it's Buggy As Hell)

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend Knights of the Chalice.

It's based on D&D rules like ToEE, but the graphics is retro (still lookable) and some of the music is nice to listen. And gameplay? Did I mention gameplay? It's magnificent! It's exactly what I want from turn-based combat. It's extremely tactical. Definitely this is a must-have for fans of indie RPGs like that.

Then I also greatly enjoyed the now freeware Helherron. It has not much dialogue and roguelike clunky controls, but the combat is a wonderful experience. It is turn-based and tactical, yet very brutal. Spiderweb's nor Basilisk's games do not allow fountains of blood nor killing your enemies by heavy hit which will throw them as a projectile on another enemy. (and possibly kill both)

Helherron has all that it takes.

I recommend downloading an EARLIER version, which is surprisingly less bugged.

The only annoying bug there is with the grid bugs or other numerous enemies, game tends to crash in combat with them. This is easily solved by scrolls or spells of mass wound and similar...

Another my two loves are Dark Disciples 1 and Dark Disciples 2 by Dodgysoft. These are games with so much detail and skill put into them. The music is lovely, specially the midi tunes of Bjorn Lynne in DD1.

The style is similar to roguelike, i.e. one character, turn-based combat. (or step-based) But all is adequately graphical and with mouse. The game is very non-linear, there are many ways to solve puzzles, many hidden puzzles, tough enemies, countless mysterious areas to explore... The story is also nice... These are textbook RPGs!

My favorite feature is crushing enemies with remotely controlled portcullis laugh Specially dragons.

After playing Eschalon Book I 3 days I'm very frustrated sometimes, hit and damage ratios are quite low at start and fighting against more than 1 enemy can be deadly and enemies deal alot damage and hit ratio is slightly higher than player's.

Healer (at 1st town) asks fortune on healing and equipments cost fortune too but player gold is scarce (even scarcier than A5) and alot of that goes to Health Potions/Elixirs and anti-Poison Potions (and natural curing takes quite a long if has got double-poison).

Night and underground is really dark and torches don't give much light and if gets to fight while resting depending on health and enemy and amount of enemies its better to reload from save.

Leveling takes long based on exp gained monsters (25-50 points experience per monster and when requirement to level is 1000-1500 exp-points it takes a while) and getting 3 points to divided amongst skills and few stats points it will take a long time until player is decent fighter.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Eschalon games require doing the quests to get major experience.

Book 2 fixed most of your complaints except experience. It's a much better game engine.

Except some of those quests I've seen (have/had) require going to place which aren't doable on low level char. (for example killing Hive Queen) and health gain w/o sleeping is pia and if gets ambushed while sleeping by thugs or notroxidious lizards and isn't at full health its better to reload from earlier save.

Echelon wouldn't be that bad if it had party of 4 instead solo, now char needs to be able to everything instead specializing to 1 thing.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
That's mostly due to not enough beta testers. There are only so many things that you exploit in each play through. Some of them got caught.

A good chunk of it is due to certain mechanics whose design is obviously imbalanced, even in the abstract.