Proliferation

Actaeon

So, I've been around long enough to know about the Spiderweb map, but I realized I don't have a clue how many people actually play the games. Does Jeff ever put out raw data on the subject? Does Aran have a bot for that? Are there places where someone might actually lean over your shoulder and say "Oh, hey, Avernum", or must such an eventuality be artificially formed?

Most of the players never post here so the numbers are just guesses. Jeff did post some numbers for a game on his blog so that's the best place to look.

Aran used to post the numbers for monthly posting, but that encourage spam after he complained that we weren't posting enough. What his bots do we don't want to think about since part of it is to take over Spiderweb. smile

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
That is a bit sad. The closest I got was a few days ago, when a friend of my actually asked me "Have you ever heard of a game called Avernum 6?"

I once recommended Geneforge to somebody. He replied "Is that the game where you make the critter armies?". So I guess I've met someone who has played the demo, but not the game.

I've had a grand total of one person know about Spiderweb Software in Real Life (I think he played the Exile demos -- not sure, it's been a while). And this was a guy who had played quite a lot of CRPGs, someone who later went on to Bioware. The vast majority of people aren't CRPG fans, and the vast majority of those wouldn't play more than a couple big box titles a year.

I was first introduced to the spiderweb games by a family member showing me the demo for A5. I also tried showing one of my friends geneforge 5, but I don't think they were interested. I actually have never seen anything Avernum/geneforge related on the internet, ever, unless I have deliberately looked for it.