info for wiki

MadProfessor

Well I got bored and started to surf some wiki`s of some games,then I found a button to make my own wiki.My question;

is it okay to make a Geneforge wiki.If its not then I`m sorry for even asking the question its just that I lost alot of my sanity at the door grin .If it is then I promise to turn it into a good wiki that contains lots of information and will never stop putting articles and abandon the wiki like most of the few Geneforge wiki`s I know about.So...yea.

Oh and was I right to put this in the General area or was I supposed to put it in the Geneforge area?

There are at least two existing attempts at Geneforge wikis in existence: here and here. I found those with a google search. For all I know there could be more. Given that they exist, I'm confident it's permissible to make such a wiki, should you desire to do so. However, you might want to look around and see if it would be better to contribute to one of the existing ones before you decide for sure to start your own.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
There are at least two existing attempts at Geneforge wikis in existence: here and here. I found those with a google search. For all I know there could be more. Given that they exist, I'm confident it's permissible to make such a wiki, should you desire to do so. However, you might want to look around and see if it would be better to contribute to one of the existing ones before you decide for sure to start your own.
There are three. Two are the ones you linked to, and Will (w-dueck) hosts one that is temporarily down along with all of Calamity Refuge. IIRC, Will's is the best, so you might want to contribute there instead of starting yet another one.

Originally Posted By: Iffy
Will's host had suddenly decided to stop keeping CalRef along with everything else Will had with not even a prior notice. So he's been trying to get the stuff up to a new host which sucks so bad, he's been having a ton of trouble.

Does he not keep backups somewhere? I mean, most forums/wikis I'm on backup at least once a week, if not more often.

Still, baaaad host. That sucks.

Originally Posted By: Iffy
Will's host had suddenly decided to stop keeping CalRef along with everything else Will had with not even a prior notice. So he's been trying to get the stuff up to a new host which sucks so bad, he's been having a ton of trouble.

Has he considered ZetaBoards? Pretty straight forward site. Free too.

Anyway, since we're touching on the subject, I still haven't ditched my goal for a Geneforge wiki, even though a poofed on Danette's Library. When w-dueck gets everything working again and all the sites back up, it'd probably be best for the series if my project and the project on Wikia worked together.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Barring w-dueck's wiki (which I know nothing about... unless that is Danette's Library?), I'd recommend the Wikia site over the Wikispaces site; it seems like a better site to me, and you may even be able to "adopt" the wiki and become a sysop.

Looking at RC, it seems like the wiki is quite dead- the owner might not even be around to sysop you.

Originally Posted By: Celtic
Barring w-dueck's wiki (which I know nothing about... unless that is Danette's Library?), I'd recommend the Wikia site over the Wikispaces site; it seems like a better site to me, and you may even be able to "adopt" the wiki and become a sysop.

Quote:
Looking at RC, it seems like the wiki is quite dead- the owner might not even be around to sysop you.

If the owner has abandoned the project, then there's technically nothing stopping me or anyone else from just doing what we want with it, is there? I really don't want to start another Wikia for Geneforge, and no one else really should either. I'll send him/her a message and ask if he still has time for it. Assuming he/she is still signed into Wikia, he'd get the message anytime he logged into a Wikia wiki.

This isn't a hot topic though, so there's no rush to decide it now.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Yes, but the nice thing about Wikia is that the owner doesn't need to be around. You can get the global Wikia administrators to sysop you; I did it with a Wikia wiki earlier this year. There's a process involved, you have to write a paragraph or something, and it could take a few days, but it's a possibility, and it works.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Full disclosure: Dantius runs the Wikispaces site, so he might be a little biased. wink

Nah, I just run the Wikipedia articles on Geneforge tongue.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Originally Posted By: Dantius
Yes, but the nice thing about Wikia is that the owner doesn't need to be around. You can get the global Wikia administrators to sysop you; I did it with a Wikia wiki earlier this year. There's a process involved, you have to write a paragraph or something, and it could take a few days, but it's a possibility, and it works.

Oh. I did not know that- I thought the global administrators at Wikia didn't have power over individual wikis.

EDIT: Well duh. "Global". Why didn't I think of that before?

• 2 weeks later...