All these AIMHacks

Student of Trinity

General has recently been taken over by AIMHack campaigns. This is great, of course, though perhaps it might make sense to use Misc for them. But those of us who don't have time to join a campaign are left wondering: What is all this stuff, anyway?

Maybe somebody who knows could take a few moments to explain what AIMHack is all about. Where did it come from? Why is it here? Will it be the death of rock and roll? Is it an iPad killer? What is it doing to our children? That sort of thing. Inquiring minds want to know.

Brief summaries of the current and completed campaigns would also be interesting. Now that there is so much AIMHack around, I think the ecosystem can support a parasitic thread.

ephesos wanted to run a D&D campaign

then he realised he didn't want to bother teaching people how to play D&D so he stripped it down to its core mechanic: rolling a d20, modifying the roll with bonuses and/or penalties and comparing the result with a target number to determine success or failure of an action

this skeleton of a system he called aimhack. as the name suggests it is run over aol instant messenger (AIM)

he ran an aimhack campaign based loosely on children's movie and cult classic Labyrinth

then a bunch of other people got in on it and here we are

if you want specifics you should probably go over to the aimhack website and maybe read some of the campaign logs or something

while i am here i guess i may as well summarise dust bowl, the campaign i am currently in:

Click to reveal..
there is a city called riole. it was boring. now it is less boring. unfortunately this is because giant dust storms are blanketing the town and threatening to lay waste to its farmland

so a bunch of dudes got called in by the mayor to do something about it. the mayor suspects hostile magic from a nearby town. the dudes board a ship headed for the town but then there is a huge storm and a kraken and the ship is wrecked on Monster Island

a bunch of the crew decided they'd rather take their chances with the monsters than try to repair the ship and go sailing again in the current conditions. so the party got sent off to try and round them up so that the ship can get back on course. except that upon finding them, they don't want to come back and they claim to have been tricked into joining the crew in the first place. fortunately it looks like monster island might be the source of the weird weather anyway so the party is just gonna chill out there for a while and hope to stumble across an evil wizard or something

Ephesos was not the person who came up with the idea. In fact, I believe it was originally conceived in a thread by yourself, Student of Trinity. You posted something about running a stripped down campaign with some kids, then it was ET who said he ran games on IM with his own very crude version of D&D. He posted an entire session he had and that's what set it off in this community.

Ephesos's system came soon after that and he coined the term AIMHack for it. He ran a few games, and two other people have since adopted Ephesos's system and started their own campaigns. One other person, Dantius, created his own system and is also currently running a game. Oh, and ET is also currently running a game with his original system as well.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
*facepalm facepalm facepalm*

lol @ slarty

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Brief summaries of the current and completed campaigns would also be interesting. Now that there is so much AIMHack around, I think the ecosystem can support a parasitic thread.

Well, mine is a scifi campaign unlike the others. It's set in Asimov's Foundation universe, and has the party be Imperial soldiers during the fall of the empire. They're chasing after powerful technology that could have a huge effect on the game world, and also trying to resolve several mysteries about who else wants it (protip: everybody), and who attacked their ship.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Now that there is so much AIMHack around, I think the ecosystem can support a spam thread.

FYT

Originally Posted By: Tullegolar
The World RP Summary

The party graduated from the Guild of Earth and were thrown out into the World with little idea of what was going on. Earth is a very young and hostile place, where Free Will runs rampant and bloodshed and corruption are commonplace. The party managed to anger several important people while exploring, including the Antqueen-General, one of the three Realmlords of Earth. The mafia helped them flee to the Dream City, another Realm outside of Earth. There they stopped a civil war between rival Realmlords Concoctus Rex the lion alchemist and Lord Quincy the gypsy jester. They also learned of a power struggle going on between several other outside powers that may very well determine the fate of their home Realm, Earth. The prime Realmlord of the Dream City, the mild and benevolent Mother Wolf, met the party and informed them that she was allied with the Mayor of Earth, and then sent the party on a quest to a rival Realm that seeks the destruction of Earth. They are to travel to Mount Forms to find and kill the fanatical Realmlords that rule there, including the master of the Realm, the Word Bird, if they so choose. We last left the party on their ascent of the mountain itself.

This is a good time to mention that a major quest line will probably be complete soon, and new characters could be added quite easily. There are 27 character classes in the World, and I would welcome a chance to show off a few more. Check out the World's website for more information including directions how how to roll a character if you're interested!

-Emperor Tullegolar

Oh, and thanks for setting the record straight, Monroe. You're the man. wink

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Every idea is built on top of another idea.

This. And if we really want to take it really far back, we go into this board's heritage of well-constructed board-based RPs.

I will not argue that ET wasn't the first to start running an RP system of a sort, but the first to involve a group of players instead of just one was AIMhack.

...also, AIMhack's origin involved fewer strangers trying to cyber.

This decision will come off as arbitrary and I am sure it will disappoint, because it is based off much that occurs behind the scenes over private channels.

Long story short, we made an agreement with ET to try and give him a chance to prove he can be a constructive member of the boards. Months ago, he pushed a boundary that, while not explicitly stated, was clearly a violation of the spirit of the agreement (using the proxy to take a jab at board moderators, which was one of his earlier disunifying behaviors). As such, we further limited his proxy posting abilities. Unfortunately, it feels to us that he keeps pushing the issues trying to get more than we want to give currently. Unfortunately, this game has become his catch-all defense by claiming that shutting it down will end up hurting you guys, and he is right to an extent.

ET claims to have reformed and want nothing more than to make the community a better place. Sadly, we have seen too many clues that indicate things are not improved. I'm not sure if he is aware or oblivious, but it matters not because the net effect is the same. This community is not here to serve his, or anyone else's ego and I am tired of the boundary pushing that causes us to make unpleasant and unpopular decisions that we have seen for the last half-decade. Things have not changed and probably never will.

I can see now that I was premature in trying to offer reprieve to ET. Perhaps he is sincere in his desire to make the boards a better place, but the more I deal with him, the less convinced I am. All I can say for sure is that I have spent far, far more time on him than I ever have with any other member and I am tired. I apologize for any harm this decision may cause, but please appreciate my situation.

ET is done proxy posting here, forever.

Originally Posted By: *i
ET is done proxy posting here, forever.

So, you're reinstating his regular account, then?

In all seriousness, I know ET had a habit of pushing the boundaries beyond what anyone wanted. From the Richard White pictures to the constant cracks at the mods, he definitely pushed the lines. I enjoyed his contributions, and shall miss him, but I understand the rationale for the move. As always, I stand in support of our dedicated volunteers, who have helped to insure the Spiderweb community is welcoming and great.

It's much easier to get in as a regular at the beginning of a campaign than in the middle. My campaign (Dust Bowl) doesn't have any vacancies right now, and I don't think the others do either.

However, people often miss a session or part of a session, and when that happens we like to have substitutes take over their character until they come back. This can be a good way to try out RPing and see if you like it without committing to playing a whole campaign. If you're interested, I suggest you read at least one log of a previous session to get an idea of what it's like, then show up to the game and wait until someone needs a sub. We are always grateful for good subs, and heap thanks and praise on them.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
while i am here i guess i may as well summarise dust bowl, the campaign i am currently in:

Click to reveal..
there is a city called riole. it was boring. now it is less boring. unfortunately this is because giant dust storms are blanketing the town and threatening to lay waste to its farmland

so a bunch of dudes got called in by the mayor to do something about it. the mayor suspects hostile magic from a nearby town. the dudes board a ship headed for the town but then there is a huge storm and a kraken and the ship is wrecked on Monster Island

a bunch of the crew decided they'd rather take their chances with the monsters than try to repair the ship and go sailing again in the current conditions. so the party got sent off to try and round them up so that the ship can get back on course. except that upon finding them, they don't want to come back and they claim to have been tricked into joining the crew in the first place. fortunately it looks like monster island might be the source of the weird weather anyway so the party is just gonna chill out there for a while and hope to stumble across an evil wizard or something

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Lilith's summary of my baby is a little depressing, but not wrong.

I take an inordinate amount of pleasure recapping RL sessions in this manner ("Last session we bashed some skellies as we tried to gather the four MacGuffins. If we catch them all we can stop the Big Bad Evil Guy from escaping his tomb and kicking puppies."). I really shouldn't go around and destroy my DM's atmosphere, but I really can't help it.

Originally Posted By: Unknown NPC
I'll have to get in on one of these AIMhacks sometime...

Any recommendations?

I'm hoping to start a new campaign sometime in August, so keep an eye out. Once my insane time-commitment of a job wraps up, I can actually sit down and plot one out.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Once my insane time-commitment of a job wraps up, I can actually sit down and plot one out.

Yeah, aren't those a royal pain? tongue

I work 80-hour weeks. Silence.

Okay, fine. I usually only work 55 or 60. I forfeit my right to complain.