Availability of OBoE source?

There are Linux and Windows binary versions of WxWidgets OBoE available on the Google Code page, but no sources as far as I can tell, and none in SVN for the WxWidgets version either. I'd like to experiment with the OBoE code and maybe eventually contribute, but it seems the sources aren't there... Help?

If I recall, the wxWidgets source was checked into a branch, and is only present for the character editor. Chokboyz said he was working on it for the main game, and I was going to start working on it for the scenario editor (though I haven't gotten around to it yet).

So, any source not on the site is probably with Chokboyz.

Originally Posted By: Miramor
There are Linux and Windows binary versions of WxWidgets OBoE available on the Google Code page, but no sources as far as I can tell, and none in SVN for the WxWidgets version either. I'd like to experiment with the OBoE code and maybe eventually contribute, but it seems the sources aren't there... Help?

Like Celtic Minstrel said, there's an experimental branch dedicated to the wxWidgets port attempt of OBoE.
The character editor is the only program presently converted (as it was the easiest), but the general engine transition is underway,counting a working dialog engine and new dialog/frame classes.
The code is always in a messy C/C++ hybrid state, though; so be prepared when fiddling with the code smile

Concerning your java idea (independantly of its "rightfulness"), starting with character editor is a good move, as it will give you a good insight of BoE mechanics, plus gives you useful classes for both the scenario editor and the game.

Agreed on the IO file part of the code, don't hesitate to rewrite it (compatibility would be nice though).

Finally, if you want to put some time in BoE, be warned it takes a good deal of it and if you're getting a job, you'll probably have a hard time doing both (in fact, life striking back, i have hardly been able to find some for the wxWidgetification of the game and it's presently in a barely compilable state, with lots of functions to be adapted/rewritten... and, given the way things are working out, i'll probably be force to pull out of the project after uploading whatever work i have done frown ).

Anyway, good luck with your java thing; let's hope something comes out of it ... wink

Chokboyz