Underland Chronicals and BoA Engine?

Abrum

Hello Spiderweb community,

I'm a new member, basically a newbie. I don't know if this is where I post ideas or start discussion. So, I'll post my idea here unless I'm told otherwise.

So! Gregor the Overlander (by Suzanne Collins) and this engine. My first thoughts are that they have many similar graphics and concepts. I'm juggling with the idea of making a scenario set in that world. Both stories/worlds are similar, plus they have plenty of plot and sides to satisfy someone until they're top full. Both stories are long as heck as well, so I think it might be worth me trying my hand at it.

But is it possible? I turn my head to the pros and mods. If it isn't possible, or this topic is in the wrong place entirely, I apologize sincerely. But hey, it could be a fun idea.

-Abrum

You should be aware that making a *long* scenario is much harder then you'd think (or at least I thought, despite being told. A lot.) I would recommend trying to make a small scenario based on Avernum first so you can get comfortable with the engine. Once you get some skill, you're interpretation of this novel (unless I misunderstood you) will be much better.

Alas, I'm not familiar with "Gregor the Overlander", so I can't say if the world would fit well in a BoA scenario.

-- Acky

I read that series a while ago, and a scenario set in that world would actually be really cool. You probably wouldn't even need to make any of your own graphics; most of the things you'd need are already there (rats, bats, spiders, plus all of the cave graphics.) But before you start something like that you should probably just take some time to get acquainted with the editor by making something small. If you want, you could enter the Randomised Scenario Contest just to get started, and then later, once you've got more experience, come back to this project.

Welcome to Spiderweb. Leave your sanity at the door. smile

Originally Posted By: Duck
But before you start something like that you should probably just take some time to get acquainted with the editor by making something small.

Seconded. It makes a huge difference to take the time to get a sense of what's easy, what's hard but possible, and what's impossible. Try something that isn't technically demanding; a small scenario without fancy scripting, and then you can gauge for yourself whether you want to launch into something big (and also how long it may take).

It would be great to have another person designing for the engine, and I certainly encourage you to try it out. You may find the forum below this one, which is for discussing designing techniques, tools, and issues to be a useful place.

Originally Posted By: Abrum
Hello Spiderweb community,

I'm a new member, basically a newbie. I don't know if this is where I post ideas or start discussion. So, I'll post my idea here unless I'm told otherwise.

So! Gregor the Overlander (by Suzanne Collins) and this engine. My first thoughts are that they have many similar graphics and concepts. I'm juggling with the idea of making a scenario set in that world. Both stories/worlds are similar, plus they have plenty of plot and sides to satisfy someone until they're top full. Both stories are long as heck as well, so I think it might be worth me trying my hand at it.

But is it possible? I turn my head to the pros and mods. If it isn't possible, or this topic is in the wrong place entirely, I apologize sincerely. But hey, it could be a fun idea.

-Abrum

There was an old member here called TM. A long time ago, he posted a thread called "I want to crush your dreams". You can find it here. You should read his post and digest it a bit. It has some very good advice.

I see I'm not the first to say this, nor will I be the last. Your first effort should aim small. Keep it simple. Get used to the engine. Avernumscript can be very complicated, especially if you have no experience with programing. If you run into any trouble or can't figure out how to do something feel free to ask.

I'm blown away. After seeing the scenario editor a bit more I see that I'll surely need to get used to it, because of all the options. Contest sounds perfectly timed. laugh

I'll get the feel of this engine, once I quite literally dream about the editor's controls and use them in my sleep, I'll probably be ready for a project of this magnitude, so someday! Page bookmarked for the future. Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted By: Dantius
There was an old member here called TM. A long time ago, he posted a thread called "I want to crush your dreams". You can find it here. You should read his post and digest it a bit. It has some very good advice.
I just read TM's post. Words worthy of being carved in granite, and then each letter filled in with gold.