Confrontation - OOC chatter

Frozen Feet

As the original proposal seems to be too complicated to succeed here, lets put it this way: would there be any interest in a forum RP at all? If I just whipped up an intro of few paragraphs, would I get handful of people writing a story with me?

An RP is now up. Read that thread and start postin'.

The original proposal is in spoilers, if someone still wants to look at it.

Click to reveal..
Lately, I feel I've been neglecting these forums, having been absorbed by a Bleach fan-fiction roleplay over at Giant's. I even largely ignored many of the wonderful AIM rpg's held over here, despite learning to use the program just for them blush

Now, however, I'm hell-bent on correcting my mistake, in the form I can do best - a traditional forum rolepay. The setting and plot will be a cross-over between Lord of the Rings, which I think you all know, and Bleach, an anime / manga about High-School Students, Grim Reapers and Hungry Ghosts duking it out.

Yes, I'm going to combine a brainless Shounen series and a seminal work of modern fantasy. Sue me.

The basic premise is to take the plot of Bleach (Psychopomps and lost souls warring, with mortals caught in the interim), and take it to a pseudo-medieval fantasy world where there are hobbits, elves, orcs, dwarves and wizards. Here's some basic plot and background I've come up with:

Plot:

Click to reveal..
In the world, there's always been a divide between spiritual and material, of mortal and immortal. Twenty millenia ago, the fae, consisting of the shinigami elvenkind and maiar undying spirits bound to the wheel of life banded together in Soul Society the Undying lands, also known as Otherworld, and formed Seireitei the Court of Pure Souls, an alliance whose task it is to guide souls of Mortals (humans, dwarves, hobbits) over the Edge of the World, to the hidden afterlife that awaits them behind the Void.

You see, not all souls find their place without guidance - those with small minds often can't let go of their Mortal life, and wander as Pluses Ghosts in Middle-Earth Land of the Living, seeking to fulfil tasks left undone in life. If left alone, such forlorn spirits turn into Hollows Lost Souls, who'll try to kill and destroy all they loved in misguided attempt to ease their pain.

For long, things went unhindered, the Fae largely invisible to Mortals, who gladly went on in their lives - until the moment of their passing, of course, when the elves would come and guide them to their rightful destination.

Sadly, even good things don't last forever. Aizen Morgoth Sauron The Viceroy of the Court of Pure souls always held himself in a higher regard than any other, even Illuvatar the rightful King of Souls, and sought to elevate himself to that lofty position. Others of Valar the Court thought otherwise, however, and even though they respected his wisdom and power, they denied him such rank, and when the time came, chose Manwë someone else in his place.

At first, the Viceroy swallowed his pride, but in time he came to detest and envy the new King with such intensity it blackened his very soul. He began searching for a way to gain the throne denied from him, deciding any cost was worth reaching what he perceived as his "true and rightful place". And indeed, eventually, he did find a way, as horrible as it was.

He crafted the Hogyuku Rings of Power, magical artefacts of great potency, and gave them to others of the Court. They were leery of the gifts, as the they did not know how they'd been made, and their powers were of dubious nature, blurring the line between living and dead, mortal and immortal, a Wraith and a Fae. Furious to be turned down, the Viceroy did something unheard of - he gave the Rings to Mortal men, imbuing them with strenght never seen before in the Lands of the Living.

The Court was horrified by the act. Surely, such power was never meant to be given to those outside the Otherworld. They decided to arrest the Viceroy, and bring him to a trial - but when they arrived on his door, he struck his captors down without mercy, and fled to the Land of the Living himself, to rule them according to his whim regardless of what the Court or his King had to say to it.

But the horror did not end there - many were the Fae in who agreed with the Viceroy, and deserted with him. The Otherworld was torn in a bloody civil war, never to be same again.

From the chaos, a new alliance rose - The Gotei 13 Fellowship of Nine White Towers, founded by the remaining members of the Court of Pure Souls, lead by the CaptainsIstari God-Warriors, greatest warriors and wizards the Otherworld had to offer. Proclaiming the Viceroy Chief Amongst Traitors, they waged war against his troops, in a war that shook the world of mortals to its roots.

Eventually, the Fellowship prevailed, but their victory was anything but complete. They slew the bodies nine mortal kings who'd been given the Rings, but could not quell their spirits - their souls, bound to the Wheel like no human should by the Rings, fled to the forlorn realm of Hueco Muendo Mordor Desert of the Damned, where they remain and rule as the dread Espada Ringwraiths Wraith Kings. Their rings were scattered all across the world, and they search for them even today. Chief Amongst Traitors eluded their grasp, and has remained hidden ever since. Rumours tell he found a way to be reborn as a mortal, and has long since left the limits of Earth.

Uneasy peace has lasted for two thousands years. The Nine White Towers have to remain ever watchful, protecting the souls of mortals from the evils of the Desert, and the Wraith Kings who dwell there. And something in the wind tells this peace might soon come to an end...

Terminology:

Click to reveal..
Mortal: a creature whose souls is destined to pass beyond the Void once it dies. This includes humans, hobbits and dwarves. Most are gleefully ignorant of goings-on of the Spirit world until their death, and often can't perceive Fae or Ghosts at all.

Soul Chain: a chain that connects a mortal's spirit to his material body. If the chain is severed, the Mortal's material life ends, and his spirit is free to pass on. However, a soul who remains hung up on its mortal life will linger in the Land of the Living, with the severed chain hanging from it's chest.

Ghost (Plus): soul of a mortal who can't pass on - if a Fae doesn't guide it to afterlife, the chain on it's chest will begin to erode, and eventually eat a hole through the Ghost's chest, prompting its transformation to a Lost Soul.

Lost Souls (Hollows): Ghosts who have lingered in the Land of Living for too long, and have lost themselves to madness as a results. When Ghost becomes a Lost Soul, its form will twist into a bestial mockery of its former self, and a skull-like mask will cover its head, hiding its sad and pathetic nature. A Lost Soul becomes increasingly demented as time passes, losing itself to its basest instincts and trying to destroy all it loved in life due to mad jealousy and grief. When a Lost Soul has utterly lost its connection to its former life, it'll drift to the Desert to eat or be eaten by other Lost Souls.

Wraiths (Menos): a gestalt being of hundreds of Lost Souls, populating the Desert of the Damned. They consist only of a large black cloack and a white, beaked mask. Their size varies, from those as vast as a mountain to ones similar to a man in stature. Curiously, smaller Wraiths are more powerful. Most Wraith are guided by nothing but mindless hunger, but the most powerful ones might develop a personality from the warped memories of the Lost Souls they've eaten.

Fae (Shinigami): the elves and immortal spirits of nature who live in the Otherworld, and have taken it as their duty to guide mortal souls to their rightful afterlife.

Lands of the Living: where mortals go about in their daily lives and spend their material existence.

Otherworld, Undying Lands (Soul Society): magical land where the Fae dwell, hidden from the sight of Mortals. Its rumoured one could reach it by sailing far enough in the West, though some mystic practices might allow a mortal's mind to reach it throug other ways. It is told nothing ever dies there.

Fellowship of Nine White Towers (Gotei 13): military of the Otherworld, led by the God-Warriors, mightiest warriors and wizards of the Fae.

Court of Pure Souls: ruling body of the Otherworld.

Desert of the Damned (Hueco Muendo): a land parellel to the Otherworld, where Lost Souls go in search of oblivion. It's a vast, volcanic plain drowned in white ashes and shoruded in eternal night. Barring Wraiths and Lost Souls, nothing lives there. Nine black mountains rise from its midst like dark towers; they are the homes of the Wraith Kings.

Orcs, Demons (Vizard, Arrancar): orcs are Fae or mortals corrupted by the rings of power. This allows them to call forth and use powers they might have gained as Lost Souls or Wraiths even while still alive. Their forms are often twisted horribly, and their reek of death to ordinary mortals. This does not mean they're automatically evil, though.

Wraith Kings (Arrancar, Espada): Nine exceedingly powerful evil spirits, who rule over the Desert with iron hand. They fully recall their mortal lives and have torn away their masks, unafraid to bare the emptiness they've become. They bear an unending grudge against the Fellowship and conspire to destroy them, so they can rule over creation once more.

Well of the Soul (Reiryoku): source of the inner power inherent in all spirits. Measures their power and fuels their abilities.

Radiance of the Soul, Aura (Reiatsu): what inner power of spirit becomes when it flows out of its body. Radiance of the Soul can take on special qualities or affect the world around the spirit, depending on the nature and power of the spirit.

Spirit Stuff (Reishi): energy that composes spiritual bodies and forms of the Fae and other spirits, as well as all the matter in Otherworld and the Desert.

The Art (Kido): known as 'magic' to the uninitiated, the Art is the ability to pour out power from one's Soul Well and shape its Radiance into whatever shape one wishes. As this requires intense concentration, spells, koan, mantras and prayers are usually chanted when trying to create a specific effect. There are many traditions of the Art, but the best known are the Way of Binding and the Way of Destruction. Former specializes on subtle spells that create or transmute Spirit Stuff, doing things like creating barriers or wards and sending messages over long distances, while the latter is focused on manifesting and commanding destructive energies of the world, such as fire and lightning, to destroy one's enemies.

Soul Slayer (Zanpakuto): special weapons of the Fae that can harm Lost Souls and Wraiths, making them whole again and freeing them from their twisted existence. Each Soul Slayer is unique to the Fae that possesses it, forged from Soul Steel poured from the Well of the Soul of that Fae.

Sword Spirit: when a Fae creates his Soul Slayer, a fragment of his personality, often his instinct to fight, is trapped in the weapon, and within it it grows to a being of its own. A Fae can commune with his Sword Spirit through meditation.

Inner World: a dreamy landscape each spirit has within, reflecting their personality and nature. A Fae's Sword Spirit will take residence here.

Manifestation (Shikai, Bankai): an ability that lets a Fae to let loose the power stored in his Soul Slayer, increasing his power and displaying his true, immortal grace even to ordinary mortals. A Fae will also assume qualities and powers from his Sword Spirit while using this ability.

Soul Taker: twisted counterpart to Soul Slayers of the Fae, used by orcs and powerful wraiths. Despite being forged in a same way, a Soul Taker has exact opposite effect, sucking a spirit slain by it to the wielders Soul Well.

Rings of Power (Hogyoky, Resurreccion): unholy devices which can break the barriers between spiritual and material, opening a Soul Well even in a mere mortal. Such an artefact allows the bearer to gain great power and take hideous form of a demonic beast at will, in a twisted mockery of a Fae's manifestation.

Rules stuff:

• There will be three factions: The Fae, the Wraiths and the mortals of some seemingly unimportant hobbit town who get caught in between.
  • There will be nine faction leaders for the Fae (the God-Warriors) and ten for the Wraiths (The Wraith Kings + Chief Amongst Traitors). Mortals won't have set leaders. Note: I will be playing one Wraith King and one God-Warrior. The remaining 16 spots are open to those who want them, but be sure you'll be around for the lenght of the game.
  • Playing multiple characters is allowed, even encouraged; in addition to the two characters mentioned above, I'll be playing a smattering of small-time mortal characters and expendable villains. Making more or killing some is a good thing if it helps to keep the game flowing.
  • Gratuitous usage of foreign, dead and fictional languanges, such as Finnish, Spanish, Latin, Old English, Quenya and Klingon is required for ability names!
  • No controlling characters who aren't your own without their creator's consent.
  • When characters fight, the combatants should agree on the victor via PM, AIM or what have you as not to cause needless infighting.
  • Before you start playing a character, present a character sheet for the community. I'll make an example shortly.
  • We'll use [location tags] to keep track of where characters are. So, if your character is in an inn, put [inn] before that character's actions.
  • Oh, most importantly: Don't be a jerk! Act polite towards other players.

More things can and will be added later, and I'm open to suggestions as how to organize this thing. Sooooo.... any takers? grin

Ehh...the forum-post-based RPGs I've seen here haven't impressed me in terms of how well they function. They seem to end up convoluted, bulbous, and unmanageable, and then they die a slow, agonizing death as people get bored and quit. Eph's AIMHack system seems to work much better, so if I do any role-playing here, it'll be through that. I wish you luck with your project, nonetheless. It just doesn't interest me. smile

Considering the whole game is in written format and we're not restricted to just the themes and elements found in the source material, I deem your complaint illegimate. tongue No, really; I've seen several people who've never watched the anime or shounen at all to take part in similar projects, and they've had helluva good time.

Don't judge the project by its inspiration. It's possible for the RP to surpass its source materials vastly. It's even likely, considering similar efforts I've seen before and... the initial quality of Bleach.

Anyways, "not liking anime" is no reason to pass an RP. wink

Considering the RP is not "anime" in any sense of the word, only uses one as inspiration, I still don't see your point of complaint. Unless you hate a whole slew of tropes associated with Heroic sagas, which would likely mean you also hate Conan and LotR to boot.

There are no big eyes or epileptic explosions anywhere, unless we want there to be.

Erm... I think I'll have to pass, for a few reasons.

1) AIMHack is keeping me busy.

2) Never really cared for Anime OR LotR (the latter of which is partially because...)

3) It looks way too complicated. Admittedly, RPs tend to get complicated fast, but (IMO) the basic plot and rules shouldn't measure more than 2 page lengths. Halfway through the plot base, I started skimming. From past experience, the more complicated the starting premise, the faster the RP flatlines.

4) WAY too many rules that consist of how to 'properly' format. Seriously, the second I read "Pick a speech color", I thought What the hell? Don't forget, people have access to different forum themes, which means something that's legible on one theme is completely unreadable in another.

In short, this isn't GitP. It's a video game forum, which means that the number of dedicated RPers around here is drastically lower than one dedicated to a Tabletop Roleplaying Game.

So... yeah, sorry, I'm out. And, no offense, I honestly would be surprised if this actually got off the ground.

Still, good luck with your efforts.

*sigh* Not a very encouraging reply. frown

I didn't feel the premise was that complicated. It's summed up in a few sentences near top of the post: Grim Reapers and ghosts war in a generic fantasy setting. What comes to formatting rules, they are things that can slide

It's sad you can't see this RP taking off. Maybe I should just go back to simpler stories, a la Mountain of Shadows: "There might be a treasure, go grab it." >.>

...man, why do you have to do this stuff right when I disappear for my job? I'm out of everything until August.

EDIT:

I will second what has been said below my post, in that our free-form stuff here seems to have done best when there is as little in the way of over-arching world "rules" as possible. Everyone has their way of telling the story, their own character style.

Also, colored fonts are the devil. 'Cause you know somebody's just going to have to pick yellow... and multiple fonts sounds like a reading headache as well.

Historically, the simpler stories have fared a lot better here. Most SWers have short attention spans and lots of their own ideas. Constraining them with multiple pages of esoteric yet oddly particular background is not an enticement. I know you don't see it as constrainment, but that's because those are your ideas. And I'm not saying they're bad ideas, but they are very particular and aren't going to appeal to everyone.

That kind of detailed setting would fare better in an AIMhack format where you take on the role of DM, I think.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Historically, the simpler stories have fared a lot better here. Most SWers have short attention spans and lots of their own ideas. Constraining them with multiple pages of esoteric yet oddly particular background is not an enticement. I know you don't see it as constrainment, but that's because those are your ideas. And I'm not saying they're bad ideas, but they are very particular and aren't going to appeal to everyone.

That kind of detailed setting would fare better in an AIMhack format where you take on the role of DM, I think.

As much as I'd hate to admit it, you're right. Maybe I'll learn how to use Eph's AIMhack system and use it there.

So, lets put it this way: would there be any interest in a forum RP at all? If I just whipped up an intro of few paragraphs, would I get handful of people writing a story with me?

Originally Posted By: Frozen Feet
So, lets put it this way: would there be any interest in a forum RP at all? If I just whipped up an intro of few paragraphs, would I get handful of people writing a story with me?

I would be quite interested in a forum RP of some sort. Perhaps it would be in a familiar setting, from Jeff's games, or just more readily a generic setting with a simple introduction.

Unfortunately, I just can't commit myself to this RP of yours. Too much effort just to start, and quite a few rules that are unsettling. Sorry about that.

Originally Posted By: Seiðmaðr
No, I really hate anime.

eek why?

and i doubt i would be able to play, mostly from both a lack of time+short attention span.
that said a geneforge RP would be worth making time for (so would a death note, if you want to keep it to anime tongue )

I see roughly three people interested. Counting me, we'd have four players - I think that's enough for a small game.

I'll put up an intro post in a couple of hours. It will start In Media Res - and will start in generic enough setting that (almost) any sort of character will fit in.

I think I'll keep three rules from the originals: 1) no controlling other people's characters without permission, 2) talk fights through and 3) don't be a jerk.

I'm impressionable young man, so if you have suggestions, throw them on the table now.

From my experience, rules 1 and 3 go without saying. As for rule 2, I'd ay that it's not strictly necessary in all situations; let me elaborate.

It's really easy when roleplaying a fight to have both sides simply dodge-block-dodge-flee-etc, with no-one getting any effective hits in or taking any damage. This is not a desirable state of affairs. Thus, it's important to write your character as taking damage when engaging in a freeform fight. When there is an ambiguity as to what your opponent meant, it is usually a good idea to work it out through PM.

The other side of your rule 2 seems to stem from from a desire to not have the thread cluttered with 20 or so posts just for a fight between two people. I can understand this; however, I have never been in a roleplay that does it, so I can't say whether it seems like a good idea. I personally see nothing wrong with having 20 or so posts for a fight, but your mileage may vary. Still, if it turns out you would likely need 100-200 posts for the fight, then yes, it's a good idea to work it out through PM.

And of course no god-moding, but that goes without saying, right? At least I hope it does.

----

One more comment about your mention in the original post of posting style rules. First of all, I would say that, as long as each player chooses one style and sticks with it, there should be no problem. I personally prefer the narrative style as well, but I've encountered one other fairly common style which is kind of like a theatre format; the actions are enclosed in *asterisks* and speech has no delimiters. Thoughts are still italics. Again, I don't much like this for roleplays (though I have used it for spontaneous roleplaying-like actions in otherwise non-roleplaying threads), but it's a reasonably common style and I would not have any trouble with it. As for coloured speech, it is indeed a useful way to distinguish between characters in longer posts. It should be possible to write the post so that the colours are not necessary to distinguish people, but colours do help. I would however leave the decision of whether to use colours up to the individual player.

The above paragraph is just my opinion; it's not strictly a suggestion.

You know, spamming like that is a good way to get yourself banned.

-

Steering back to RP talk, what I think the crucial aspect, the ultimate key to a successful RP, is to make sure that everyone is on the same wavelength. Make sure everyone knows what the idea is, as concisely and clearly as possible. If it isn't clear, there's going to be problems. The ultimate goal is for everyone to have fun and to make up a good (or at least fun) story. And if there's conflicts due to misunderstandings, fun will not be had.

Furthermore, while Celtic Minstrel is right that some of the rules are obvious, I firmly believe that in the case of RPs, you NEED to state the obvious. Odds are pretty good that an RP will have at least 1 newcomer who's never done this before, so if the rule isn't in place, it can again lead to misunderstandings.

But that's my two paragraph-long cents.

If find for fights in this very loose setting is to have all involved parties work it out. When I have difficulty with this I usually just post something on the OCC asking is this reasonable and that usually helps decide it.

The thing I kinda of like to settle what power level were working at. My main concern right now is making something that is overpowered.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel

The other side of your rule 2 seems to stem from from a desire to not have the thread cluttered with 20 or so posts just for a fight between two people. I can understand this; however, I have never been in a roleplay that does it, so I can't say whether it seems like a good idea. I personally see nothing wrong with having 20 or so posts for a fight, but your mileage may vary. Still, if it turns out you would likely need 100-200 posts for the fight, then yes, it's a good idea to work it out through PM.

Actually, I have nothing against two people fighting for a bazillion posts - but I don't want to see bazillion of posts of OOC infighting, when one party starts to feel his character is being ignored etc.

Agreeing on the outcome of a battle beforehand is good, because it ensures both parties know what resolution to work towards. It removes some uncertainty from the fight, and usually makes for better story overall.

Originally Posted By: Velzan
"Stabs the thread"

I take that as a sign you're interested. <3

---

Now, about the RP, which is here. Here's something about my character, and the antagonist of the RP:

The Rider is 6 feet tall, dressed in a black, hooded cloak and a suit of chainmail, complete with iron boots, greaves and gauntlets. He wears a black Hannya mask to obscure his face. He carries a longsword and a black, iron bow with him.

The Rider is an exceedingly powerful, demonic being. He has control over fire, and equals the strongest and greatest of human warriors in battle. His steed is also demonic, with hooves as hard as diamond and a toxic breath, though it acts exactly like a normal horse.

The rider has been on your characters' tail for a while know. They should know he's a being to be feared. He's there to get something from (one of) your characters - What and why, is up to you.

Jenny is more of a thief and inventor type of person, dressed in a bomber jacket, trousers, boots, and a leather pilot cap with goggles. Basically, she looks like a WWII pilot. She has no theme song, though. Sorry about that.

I set it up so that there's a wizard in the tavern, if anyone wants to take control of him. If not, I'll take control of him as a minor character.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
(I submitted this an hour ago, but it didn't show up. If this looks like a doublepost to you, my bad.)

This looks pretty interesting- I might want to do this. Are you still accepting new players?

I don't see why not. You could be in on "it" - whatever it is that we took - or you could just be a random stranger at the tavern/town. Join the party!

Okay, my character, Father René, is a priest. Physical description: He's in his early to mid 50's, and is in pretty decent shape, but is hardly in his physical prime. He's average height and average weight, and keeps a very neat and small beard. He has short black/gray hair, as is his beard. Pretty much the only distinguishing feature is the fact that he's blind in his left eye (it's completely white and there's a scar across it). For clothing, René usually wears long and obscuring white robes, although he has no aversion to normal clothes

As the story hinted at, he's a former military chaplain in an army and as a result is a very good healer. This would be where he faced/saw/met the Rider in the first place. He knows little to no attack magic (maybe three to five spells, tops), but commands a wide range of protection and healing magic, plus a few divine enchantments (aka blessings). The dagger is mainly for show and as a spell focus- he's old and weak enough that if he tried to use the dagger to fight anyone decently skilled in melee (cough Rider cough), he'd be obliterated, although if he went against some guards or bandits, he'd probably be able to hold his own.

Although I'm sure some of you would be able to guess the theme song I'd pick for a priest, here it is:

, by Richard Wagner (suprise! I almost went with a requiem, but that'd be too morose).

Anyways, that's my character sheet. If you'd like a more detailed listing of spells, I suppose I could always whip one up, but I'm not doing that right now.

Vorn Rodt is a master of conjuration magic (summoning stuff). Although he is proficient in any form of magic that has something to do with battle he can even do some healing magic passably. The only magic he really has for non combat purposes has to deal directly with the creation of magical items.

He has the appearance of a man in his mid 60's however his age is not reflected in his physical abilities. He wears a dark blue tattered robe with a hood. The hood is usually drawn to hid his face. He is pretty good at pointing at something and hitting it. He has been trained with sword and shield but he rarely uses it and it shows.

He drinks a little more then is healthy, perhaps to drown past memories. He has the discipline of some who has served in an army and has had command duties before. You will not recognize his accent.

I'm still looking for a theme song.

Lyna Graile. An expert assassin in her early 40s, she's the one people go to when a high-level target needs to be forced into permanent retirement. Just over 6 feet, well-built, and in excellent shape, she generally prefers to strike from the shadows with a poisoned obsidian knife. However, she's fast and skilled with twin kattaris or her own fists, making her a force to be reckoned with in melee. She lacks any ability to cast spells... but her unnaturally bright venom-green eyes suggest that she's not entirely mundane, either.

No idea on a theme song, though.

Susan is a mage; she's not as proficient as Safey's wizard, perhaps, and her strengths lie more in direct offensive spells. She's short (not quit five feet), in her 30's, and wears her shoulder-length hair in a ponytail. She also carries a dagger in case she runs out of mana.

...I hope that's enough info...

So would now be a good time to begin discussing what exactly the MacGuffin of the RP is? Both myself and my character have no idea what it is or why Jenny/Vorn stole it.

Unless we are deliberately keeping it nebulous so it can be revealed as an object that might help us with a certain scenario, much like a Schrödinger's MacGuffin.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Unless we are deliberately keeping it nebulous so it can be revealed as an object that might help us with a certain scenario, much like a Schrödinger's MacGuffin.

I don't know if you coined the phrase "Schrödinger's MacGuffin" or not Dantius, but it's amazing! It sounds so hilariously erudite...and yet in the end, it is just what it says: a Macguffin. If you DID you just make that up, I award you major kudos.

I think we can agree the main goal of the Rider is whatever Jenny's carrying. In addition to that, Von Roddt has taken something from him, and is unwilling to pay him back (or thinks he can't), and there's one other character who also has taken something from the Rider and is now looking for a way to break their contract.