Jeff should use the Crysis engine for his upcoming games

K_I_L_E_R

Think about how many people would be awed by the graphical detail, it would be so complex that not even console owners could run it, that will show those console owning losers, such as myself, what it means to play a game.

On another note, will there be Microsoft/PSN/Steam/Impulse/WiiWare releases for Jeff's games?

After I dominate the iPod Shuffle game market, I plan on releasing the most graphically demanding game of all time. It will have Oscar winners as voice talent. And as acting models. In fact, as graphics.

The game will be for a radical new platform I call a 'stage'. You buy the script from me. You hire the actors. You construct the sets. You direct the action. You watch it unfold in 3D!

I'll give you Act I as a demo, but to see what happens next you'll have to pay. I have an uncrackable DRM scheme: Elizabethan English and iambic pentameter. The game will be totally unplayable unless you're online with one of our English major support personnel.

I'm afraid the game will also be very difficult. Hard core mode only; no save loads. So if you get Tom Cruise killed, you'll need to start over with a new star. Could get expensive. This product is only for the most serious and discriminating gamers.

I'd say that Shakespeare wasn't working in a sufficiently interactive medium, but the groundlings would disagree and probably pelt me with gross objects.

—Alorael, who is pretty sure having actors go on strike is also a good form of DRM. More seriously, having real people play the NPCs really does make a game better. The catch is that it requires a lot of people, which means a lot of money or a lot of dedication. And either way, you also need a fair amount of oversight and effort. So it works at the hobby MUD scale and for occasional events on the WoW scale but not so well for everyday MMORPGs or, even worse, a largely solo experience.

Why? I'd peg him as a screenwriter/director, largely because today's blockbusters and prime time TV are the sixteenth century's plays. Mass entertainment with a script and actors may have switched media, but it hasn't changed all that much.

—Alorael, who could see him as a game designer. He's just not sure that game design is what most obviously follows.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

If you don't have a response, then you don't post. Pretty simple.

Originally Posted By: W.H. Auden
In fake Hermetic uniforms
Behind our battle-line, in swarms
That keep alighting,
His existentialists declare
That they are in complete despair,
Yet go on writing.

Originally Posted By: Monroe
I hate meta posting. Please make it stop.

Originally Posted By: Percy Bysshe Shelly
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

I guess he just...

*sunglasses*

couldn't face it.

Anyway, steering back toward the original topic, I sincerely doubt Jeff will use any engine save his own. After all, he's been building his own engines since Exile I (which is 1990, sometime?), and if his article on his blog regarding this was any indication, he isn't too keen on changing it up.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
I guess he just...

*sunglasses*

couldn't face it.
Ahem.
Click to reveal..
Brandon56.jpg

But on your more serious note, I think that the Geneforge engine and the Nethergate engine (aka the Avernum engine) both represented pretty clean breaks from the past. I see no reason why this engine should owe too much to the Exile engine. It certainly dosen't look much like his early games!

True. I meant more that, if the past was any indication, he wasn't going to be using someone else's engine. That said, there's also indications that he's pretty deadset on the Geneforge engine. To wit:

Exile 1-3 and BoE used the Exile Engine, for a total of 4 games.

Nethergate and N:R, Avernums 1-3 and BoA used the Avernum Engine, for a total of 5 games.

Geneforge 1-5, Avernums 4-6, and Avadon use some variation of the Geneforge engine. That's 9 games thusfar, the same as both previous engines combined.

So... yeah. It seems he's sticking with the Geneforge engine for the time being.

Why use custom built engines when there are a plethora of engines, open source or otherwise, available to use and modify? I would hazard a guess that it is all about cost and the lack of available, but decent, open source game engines.

Why does Jeff not use LUA or some other very popular scripting engine for his games? This can not be due to cost as I am sure you can use LUA, Python or Javascript without paying royalties for them in commercial ventures.

Originally Posted By: K_I_L_E_R
Why does Jeff not use LUA or some other very popular scripting engine for his games? This can not be due to cost as I am sure you can use LUA, Python or Javascript without paying royalties for them in commercial ventures.

probably because he doesn't want to learn a new language

he's still not that great at C++ and he's been using that for a decade

Originally Posted By: Nikki.

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Didn't somebody have this as a signature back in t'day?

Wouldn't imagine why not, it's only one of the most famous poems ever written.
Why use custom built engines when there are a plethora of engines, open source or otherwise, available to use and modify? I would hazard a guess that it is all about cost and the lack of available, but decent, open source game engines.

That probably also has to do with the fact that Jeff would have more control over game mechanics in an engine he wrote so he can incorporate every aspect he feels he needs and drop the ones he dosen't want.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Nikki.

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Didn't somebody have this as a signature back in t'day?

Wouldn't imagine why not, it's only one of the most famous poems ever written.

My bad, let me explain: I was asking a question that probably only an oldbie would know the answer to, in effect excluding all of the newer members. Then us who have been around for a while could all have a jolly good conversation about whoever had the quote, and how awesome they were, again excluding the newer members.

Scripting languages means worse performance, in general... though, it also means better portability.

I guess it's most likely an unwillingness to learn another language, as someone else said.