Avernum Movies

Lady Rhiannon

I was reading a list of Game Movies that should be made on another forum, and I think that the Avernum/Exile Games would make Good Movies. What does everyone else think?

I mean, think about it... four characters kicked out of an Empire which has existed for so long that it's simply "The Empire". Their job: to survive an underground pit where all the Empire's rejects are thrown into, presumably to die.

But when they arrive, they find that the people thrown out of the Empire have managed to survive and build a civilization where the Empire thinks no one can survive. The first movie has the characters (and Civilization) wanting revenge on the Empire, so they come up with a plan to assassinate the Emperor.

Second movie, the Empire decides to send guards down to kill the throwaway people in response to the Empire's assassination. Now the mission of the characters is to survive and make friends with another underground race so they can wipe out the Empire Soldiers.

The Third movie is: Oops, the Empire now finds that it kind of needs the people they threw away again, but certain people don't want to apologize for the actions they took against the people they threw away. Some of the throwaways have managed to get back to the surface, and the Empire must bite the bullet and admit they need help.

You can even use the same characters, or add the new races (Nephilim and Sliths) when some of the human characters from the surface die in the course of the movies.

I think "Exile" would be the best name, as the characters have been Exiled from the surface world.

It could be done well, but it couldn't be done much like the games. The games are large, rambling, quest-based, free-roaming, and utterly lacking in personalities for their protagonists.

—Alorael, who has said before when this has come up that the series would work much better with very loose novelizations. Or, as someone else said, a TV show. A miniseries if you really want to just get the game translated to a new medium, but an actual series could be fun for showing off the world and reveling in sidequests.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
apparently word of mouth says that uwe boll's latest movie is actually half decent

probably because it's not based on a video game

That's probably because the style of video games (where you have input as to what happens)is inherently unsuited to movies (where the viewer has no input). I'm not stupid/arrogant/Roger Ebert enough (close, but now quite :p) to argue that this makes video games worthless.

Of course, many stories are unsuited to reproduction as a movie. For example, the Foundation series. Yes, I will continue complaining about that until an unspecified date in 2011.

No. I have to say that Avernum almost certainly could not make a good move.

HOWEVER.

I do think it could make a decent TV series, with a season or two for each game episode (so, a minimum of 6 seasons).

However, this would be a pretty big task that would involve a lot of writing; sure, some of the writing is already done as the plot of the game, but characters would have to be designed and their actions and path through the plot of the game written. This is especially true of A1, where there is no clear goal at the beginning.

Oh, and there should be more than four starring characters per season; at minimum, the joinable NPCs should become starring characters.

Depends on budget and how large an ensemble you want. In particular, a non-game format and a lack of constraints on an equally leveled party could let you actually take advantage of leaving characters behind. Sometimes people have other things to do, and sometimes you pick up guest stars, if you will.

—Alorael, who thinks there should be a superposition of four and six main characters. Two should suddenly become a lizard and a cat with no explanation about two seasons in.