Avernum Reboot, and tablet porting?

nikki.

So I'm surprised that nobody else has brought this up (but then I guess I don't know how many people still get it), but, after the Avadon-fanfare in the most recent SW newsletter, there's this:

Quote:
We have also begun to poke around with shiny new updates of the first Avernum trilogy, which is really starting to show its age. And who knows? Perhaps the first Avernum game might somehow find its way onto one of those nifty handheld tablety cell-phoney things that the kids are so crazy about. Anything is possible.

It's been 10 years since Avernum came out, so it's definitely time to polish it up (and as we saw with N:R, it won't take too much of Jeff's time to do), but the real interesting part is the possible tablet-port. I always thought Jeff was against this, even going back just a couple of months to that blog post he made saying he wouldn't. I wonder what happened to change his mind?

Obviously the update to Avernum should use a skillpoint-based bur levelless system. Also sliths should only be allowed to wear robes.

—Alorael, who can see a market for Avernum for the commuting crowd. It probably requires a full tablet, but the tablet RPG market is still a good niche to exploit right now.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
It's been 10 years since Avernum came out
10 years?! Yikes. I must be getting old.

*takes a moment to remember how I used to download the games in class, split them into pieces, and take them home on a series of floppies*
I was taking some of my first computer classes in college at that time. That was before I had any real reliable internet access; otherwise, I might have been here about as long as Alorael.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
*takes a moment to remember how I used to download the games in class

Yea I first discovered these games in primary school while actively trying to avoid doing school work. Playing avernum 2 on the 233mhz computer used to blow my mind, and when I finally managed to download Avernum 1 & 2 at home (took freaking hours) I did little else for a while.

It's pretty awesome a small company like this has held our attention for so long.

Originally Posted By: Kingy
when I finally managed to download Avernum 1 & 2 at home (took freaking hours)
Yeah, been there, done that. I originally downloaded G3 and A4 at home on a (comically self-proclaimed "high-speed") dial-up internet connection we used to have. My download speed was a blazing 3 minutes per megabyte on average, when I was lucky.

• 2 weeks later...