unfair advantage

waterplant

I find it incredible that not too long ago, people with prosthetics would be laughed out of the stadium if they tried to compete in the Olympics. And now it's not fair to the other athletes? They've come a long way, apparently.

I say let 'em compete. As long as they don't have rocket-legs or something, sure.

The two slightly different issues in athletics or other competitions are whether the prosthetics represent an unfair advantage, and one day they undoubtedly will, and if so, how to prevent athletes from having to replace their limbs.

But then it's not actually so different from steroids and probably much easier to test for.

—Alorael, who somehow can't see the terrible threat to human rights outside competitive environments. Just remember that the workplace is competitive too.

Originally Posted By: Five Days Beyond the Web
The two slightly different issues in athletics or other competitions are whether the prosthetics represent an unfair advantage, and one day they undoubtedly will, and if so, how to prevent athletes from having to replace their limbs.

There's a third issue: once the replacement limbs get good enough, will anyone actually be interested in watching athletes who don't have them? I mean, you could ban everyone over 6 feet tall from playing basketball, too, but...

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Five Days Beyond the Web

There's a third issue: once the replacement limbs get good enough, will anyone actually be interested in watching athletes who don't have them? I mean, you could ban everyone over 6 feet tall from playing basketball, too, but...

Well, most sports fans dislike steroids. Women's tennis is at least as popular as men's. Computers are better than people at chess, but games between humans are the most popular.

For a competition to be interesting, it's more important that the competitors be well-matched than that they be the best possible. Also, most fans are as interested in the narrative they attach to the competition as in the competition itself, and hard work/determiniation/etc. make for better stories than self-mutilation.

Sports fans don't dislike steroids. They just dislike knowing that steroids were used. And let's face it, women's tennis is very much an exception to the general rule as women's sports go.

It's a pity I don't know enough about boxing to know which weight divisions are most popular among fans. If your argument holds water, all divisions will be about equally popular; if I'm right, most attention will be on the heavyweights.

It's quite conceivable that humans are objects as well as subjects of the uncanny valley. Maybe we're okay with steroids because we can't see then and we won't accept augments athletes until the prostheses become either well-concealed or sufficiently chic.

—Alorael, who on the other hand can also see the best of both worlds coming from all this. Kasparov's computer-assisted chess with implanted processors could keep both the style of play and the photogenicity at the highest possible levels.

Well...as it stands, for most races, you have to be in a wealthy nation that can afford to have you constanlty monitored and assessed for your training practices, and use the latest expensive gear to stand a chance.

Artificial limbs might be a problem if we start taking fairness and equality seriously, but until then, not so much.

That's the article, really. The Paralympics could become "better" than the regular Olympics in speed, strength, and other measures of achievement if the regular Olympics continue to forbid prostheses and artificial enhancements (although it's not clear to what extent they do or will, really).

—Alorael, who still thinks the good ol' Olympics will retain viewers even if super-athletes in the Paralympics make for more exciting TV. The possibly lower level of competition will still be very high level for the foreseeable future, and watching meat competition is likely to stay popular. Even if it one day becomes a niche, it's likely to become a large enough niche to get network coverage.

If I had a choice between a replacement for my leg or a replacement for my leg with decorative trim and an afterburner, I know which one I'd go with. Leg with rockets: accept no substitutes.

—Alorael, who walked past a man the other day who was walking down the street on what appeared to be a blue and silver prosthetic leg while fiddling with a blue and silver prosthetic arm. He had both of his own arms and probably wasn't looking to trade in, but the picture was priceless.

Originally Posted By: Seven Days and Activity
—Alorael, who walked past a man the other day who was walking down the street on what appeared to be a blue and silver prosthetic leg while fiddling with a blue and silver prosthetic arm. He had both of his own arms and probably wasn't looking to trade in, but the picture was priceless.

Who knows: maybe he had bone cancer in his leg and he just found out it had spread to his arm!

Whilst all this talk about prosthetic limbs is all well and good, helping the disabled achieve amazing feats of agility. I think we are still being far to humanist. By that, I mean I want to see a dolphin in the swimming race, and a big cat in the running race.

Once we are all like the 6 million dollar man, running against normal humans is just going to be too boring.