Rats! I need a mouse!

The Ratt

What mouse are you using with your current computer? The one that came with the computer? A specialized mouse that you bought?

As you can probably tell I am in the market for a new mouse. I have browsed the internet, and am considering the iHome Wireless Laser Mouse (mostly because I can get it locally), a Razer Gaming Mouse , or a Logitech Laser Mouse (you'll have to narrow the list). Does anyone have suggestions for other products, or any knowledge about any of the mentioned products?

The mouse that came with my old Mac did not have dual click, so I bought a really nice Logitech black wired mouse. I eventually tried the wireless mighty mouse when I got a newer Mac but I actually noticed a slight bit of lag while doing more mouse intensive gaming (FSPs and WoW). I ended up switching back to my old black mouse. It has a two buttons and a scroll wheel, which is all I ever needed. It is fairly old (though still optic), and after a quick search I am unable to find any pictures of it online, there seem to be dozens of Logitech mouses, but none are what I have. I'd recommend something simple, and wires aren't so bad, especially since it means never having to change the batteries.

Edit: Found it! My mouse. Apparently, it's a classic.

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
What mouse are you using with your current computer? The one that came with the computer? A specialized mouse that you bought?

As you can probably tell I am in the market for a new mouse. I have browsed the internet, and am considering the iHome Wireless Laser Mouse (mostly because I can get it locally), a Razer Gaming Mouse , or a Logitech Laser Mouse (you'll have to narrow the list). Does anyone have suggestions for other products, or any knowledge about any of the mentioned products?

It would help us if you told us your profession(s) and if you frequently play Video Games or the like.
That being said, I tend to buy cheap Microsoft Mice as they're reliable and relatively cheap.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
I have a cheap optical Microsoft mouse. I bought it when the trackpad on my old laptop broke and now I prefer it over trackpads.

Dikiyoba doesn't really like wireless mice. They tend to end up dropped or knocked to the ground too much.

i am going to agree with this entirely except replace "the trackpad on my old laptop broke" with "i traded up for a desktop"

gaming mice are overpriced and unergonomic, don't buy one unless you have a specific need for the features it has that a regular mouse doesn't (you don't)

Here's my criteria for picking out a mouse:

• wired
  • optical
  • plugs into USB port
  • programmable button(s)
  • cheap, preferably $20 or less
My current mouse (Dynex model DX-WMSE) fits the bill rather nicely.
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Dikiyoba doesn't really like wireless mice. They tend to end up dropped or knocked to the ground too much.
Or you lose the (self-censored) thing. Or it drains the batteries so often that you'd be better off installing a miniature nuclear power plant to keep it running for longer than a week.

The mouse I use (though I don't use it often anymore - I've finally mastered using a trackpad, and I rarely use my laptop at a desk anymore) was a cheap ~£5 thing I've had for a couple of years. It has three buttons, a scroll wheel, it's wired (USB), and non-optical, but it works perfectly fine.

I usually use a mouse that comes with the computer, unless it stops working, then I buy a new one. Logitech and Microsoft are my preferred brands.

I don't like wireless mice, because I end up having to change the batteries every 3 weeks which is not acceptable to me. I also like optical mice and not the trackball ones. Oh and yes, it needs to go into USB too.

I use a wired Mighty Mouse, and while it works just fine, the scroll ball has a tendency to get gummed up and need to be either vigorously rolled on disposable paper or cleaned with ethanol and a cotton swab.

—Alorael, who is intrigued by Apple's newest mouse offering. He also can't deal with how it feels. In that it's like the new buttonless track pads: probably fine once you're accustomed to it, but very weird until then.

Quote:
For those of you who use wireless mice: what kind of batteries do you use and how long do they last before needed to be changed?

I am using these and only have to change them once every three to four months. Is that good or bad?

pretty bad. im useing one of those duracell batteries and it lasted at least a year (it gave out today)

Well one thing that makes me consider a wireless mouse is that the computer in question (a laptop) only has USB ports on the left side of the computer, and I am right handed. That makes dragging a cord under/over/around/through the computer a hassle.

For anyone that has a wireless mouse, how long do you batteries last? How old is your mouse? how is the signal strength? and does the signal interfere with other electronic devices (i.e. phones, speakers)?

Does anyone have an opinion on laser versus optical mice?

Quote:
Well one thing that makes me consider a wireless mouse is that the computer in question (a laptop) only has USB ports on the left side of the computer, and I am right handed. That makes dragging a cord under/over/around/through the computer a hassle.

For anyone that has a wireless mouse, how long do you batteries last? How old is your mouse? how is the signal strength? and does the signal interfere with other electronic devices (i.e. phones, speakers)?

1: at least a year or so, depends on the battery.

2: the mouse is I think 1 year old.

3: the signal is good unless you want to go to the other side of the room.(in other words, it can go as far as (i think) you want.)

4: yes, but ever so slightly.

5:i dont know the difference.

side note: im left handed but use the mouse with my right hand

Originally Posted By: boggle
$20 dollars? That is a few hours hard work for some people. You must be able to find a good mouse for cheaper than that. Just don't buy a poncy mouse.
Yes, $20 is pretty much my upper limit; and it's a few hours of work for me too, so I don't go higher than that if I can avoid it.

Once upon a time, I actually found a really good mouse for $10 on clearance; it lasted for about five years before it finally died.

Our standard apple one-click mouse died a few months ago. We went out and bought a little blue wireless mouse. 2-click with a scroll wheel, that's it. We've never changed the batteries as far as I know. I'll see if I can tell you what specifically it is. Although you seem to want a wired one, so I probably won't unless you ask.

Just how much junk do you have by your laptop that you have trouble plugging in and using a wired mouse?

I too am right-handed with all the USB ports on the left side of my laptop. I just put the mouse to the right of my computer, place the cord behind directly behind the laptop, and plug in the mouse.

After playing around with some optical and laser mice at a local computer store, I see absolutely no difference in performance between the two.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
How often do you turn your mouse off?

Never.

I certainly can't turn off my mouse. I was unaware that this was even possible. Then again, I do have the cheap HP laser mouse that came with my computer, so it's hardly very high on the quality scale.