I would love to see a Spiderweb sci fi game

dave s

It comes up periodically. Basically, Jeff is leery of switching to sci-fi because of his bottom line. He knows fantasy will sell, but he's not so certain about space opera.

—Alorael, who somehow sees the competition as fiercer, too. Fantasy RPGs run the gamut from total schlock to classics like Black Isle's games and Dragon Age. Sci-fi in recent years has really just been Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect.

Welll...the distinction is a tad arbitrary. Especially if you are citing going from planet to planet instead of town to town as a major difference. Although, yes generally science fiction means IN SPAAAAACE, but Geneforge, IMHO, includes quite alot of science fiction elements, and I would understand people sticking it under that heading (or maybe "speculative fiction"), instead of automatically lumping it under fantasy.

I've just been rewatching a lot of good sci fi lately, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, Farscape.

I just see a lot of potential there. I would imagine a Spiderweb sci fi universe being similar to the Phantasy Star series for genesis in feel. Truthfully, it's not hard to picture Avernum or Geneforge taking place on some Earth colonized world far into the future, where they have forgotten their origins.

But I also think back to games like Star Flight and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. Amazing games. So outdated I couldn't play them now (I've tried) but I imagine Jeff could capture the feel of those games and make it his own, and make it fun to play.