Play as undead???

Joseph Kerstein

Personally, I'd love it if there was an Exile game where you were the undead. Not the mindless, "rawr, I will keelz u an eet yor braans" kind, but have like spectres and vampires, and other things. Naturally, a zombie warrior or whoever would have low intelligence (at least until you gave him/her more) but they would be a strong fighter.

I don't know, but I'd find it to be quite fun. Until then, the best I can do is use the editor and swap out the PC graphics with others I find online of undead/spirits and goof around aimlessly.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there already one made and out? If so, I'll definitely give it a look. Thanks in advance for any comments or questions. smile

I tried creating a scenario where you are an undead thing at least once, but I'm not good at sticking to a scenario for more than 30 minutes, so it never got made.

One idea I had was to use the timer to keep track of what fraction of the day it was, hopefully to have day and night versions of towns, and every so often you'd gain or lose spell points depending on the time to represent being weaker during the day and more powerful at night.

Mid semester holidays are coming up, maybe I might get something going then.

Originally Posted By: Thaluikhain
I tried creating a scenario where you are an undead thing at least once, but I'm not good at sticking to a scenario for more than 30 minutes, so it never got made.

One idea I had was to use the timer to keep track of what fraction of the day it was, hopefully to have day and night versions of towns, and every so often you'd gain or lose spell points depending on the time to represent being weaker during the day and more powerful at night.

Mid semester holidays are coming up, maybe I might get something going then.

I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled. I'd be interested in a scenario like that. Wonder how the story would pan out, though?

Originally Posted By: Joseph Kerstein
Personally, I'd love it if there was an Exile game where you were the undead. Not the mindless, "rawr, I will keelz u an eet yor braans" kind, but have like spectres and vampires, and other things. Naturally, a zombie warrior or whoever would have low intelligence (at least until you gave him/her more) but they would be a strong fighter.

I don't know, but I'd find it to be quite fun. Until then, the best I can do is use the editor and swap out the PC graphics with others I find online of undead/spirits and goof around aimlessly.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there already one made and out? If so, I'll definitely give it a look. Thanks in advance for any comments or questions. smile

I would totally play a scenario in which you played as a Lich, even if it were BoE.

I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled. I'd be interested in a scenario like that. Wonder how the story would pan out, though?

One idea was that you were some kind of wight of a long conquered land, who'd awakened because the foreign invaders had become morally corrupt, or somesuch, and you'd spend the scenario searching out other groups that wanted to overthrow them to ally yourself with.

WAsn't really sure how to bring the "being lond dead" bit across, other than forever mentioning that town X used to be smaller and unimportant, forest Y seemed much smaller last time you saw it and that kids today have no respect.

One idea was that you were some kind of wight of a long conquered land, who'd awakened because the foreign invaders had become morally corrupt, or somesuch, and you'd spend the scenario searching out other groups that wanted to overthrow them to ally yourself with.

WAsn't really sure how to bring the "being lond dead" bit across, other than forever mentioning that town X used to be smaller and unimportant, forest Y seemed much smaller last time you saw it and that kids today have no respect.

Interesting. Yeah, that, or you're an evil undead dude who wants to rule, or perhaps a more "vengeance" oriented story where you and your party are the undead/souls of betrayed adventurers who were left to die by some powerful man. Your bodies (those of you with bodies left) are reanimated as zombies/skeletons, and the others are specters/spirits.

Could have undead vs. undead battles and it'd make sense too, since your party is not evil, but out to right a wrong so you can then rest in peace...

Just shooting ideas out there.

I suppose an "Undead" trait could be added, but I think it's more likely that "playing as undead" would be limited to joined NPCs (or maybe prefab parties).

EDIT: Oh wait; "Undead" is a species already, so if the ability to play as undead were added it would be as a race. (Currently monsters and players have different races available to them, but there are plans to merge them.)

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
I suppose an "Undead" trait could be added, but I think it's more likely that "playing as undead" would be limited to joined NPCs (or maybe prefab parties).

EDIT: Oh wait; "Undead" is a species already, so if the ability to play as undead were added it would be as a race. (Currently monsters and players have different races available to them, but there are plans to merge them.)

Neat. What advantages do the "monster" races get, and what races are there available to the "monster" NPC players? (I think that's what you mean, though I could be wrong.)

Neat. What advantages do the "monster" races get, and what races are there available to the "monster" NPC players? (I think that's what you mean, though I could be wrong.)

• Human
  • Reptile
  • Beast
  • Important (I believe these are immune to Fear spells)
  • Mage
  • Priest
  • Humanoid
  • Demon (Vulnerable to Ravage Spirit or whatever the anti-demon spell is called)
  • Undead (Vulnerable to Turn/Dispel Undead)
  • Giant
  • Slime
  • Stone
  • Bug
  • Dragon
  • Magical Creature

Most types are vulnerable to weapons that have a corresponding "xxx Slayer" ability. I don't know of any advantages that any of the races possess, other than one or two races maybe being immune to fear spells.

As a side note, I might remove the Important type, unless anyone can give me an argument for keeping it around.

Originally Posted By: Cryolemon
Wouldn't having an "immune to capture soul" ability be a better way of doing that?
Yes, yes it would. Adding "capture soul" to the regular immunities (along with poison, cold, fire, and magic) would be better still, and that's most likely what I would do.

Originally Posted By: Cryolemon
Wouldn't having an "immune to capture soul" ability be a better way of doing that?
Yes, yes it would. Adding "capture soul" to the regular immunities (along with poison, cold, fire, and magic) would be better still, and that's most likely what I would do.

That definitely make sense.

Might also be cool to have creatures designated as being more vulnerable to certain things as well.

I agree with that too. It would as has been said allow for more characterful monsters.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm...a thought. If you were to create a scenario in which you played as undead (or, for that matter some other supernatural monster), how would you go about giving the player the usual abilities and invulnerabilities?

I mean, would this be a Pants of Undeadness which you couldn't remove which was a lvl 10 cold protection item, together with a Hat if Being Un-Alive which was lvl 10 in poison protection?

Alternatively, you could go and get rid of all poisonous monsters and ice creating things, and say magic spells are using magic ice and magic poisons and so on, I guess.

(Is there an easy way to stop monsters from being used...and for that matter, taking them of the list of potentially summonable things? I think it's a bit odd to have sliths and nephils as PCs and as random monsters you teleport from theire homes and throw at the enemy).

Hmm...a thought. If you were to create a scenario in which you played as undead (or, for that matter some other supernatural monster), how would you go about giving the player the usual abilities and invulnerabilities?

I mean, would this be a Pants of Undeadness which you couldn't remove which was a lvl 10 cold protection item, together with a Hat if Being Un-Alive which was lvl 10 in poison protection?
In theory, if we simply set their race to "Undead" this should be handled automatically. In practice, though, "Undead" is not a valid player race (it's only valid for monsters), so that would have to be dealt with first.

(Is there an easy way to stop monsters from being used...and for that matter, taking them of the list of potentially summonable things? I think it's a bit odd to have sliths and nephils as PCs and as random monsters you teleport from theire homes and throw at the enemy).
Yes. Change the "summon type" to "No summon" in the monster Abilities dialog. (Certain specific monsters are also summoned by certain spells; if I recall correctly, Daemon summons monster 85, Summon Spirit summons monster 65, Summon Host summons that and monster 126, Sticks to Snakes summons monsters 99 and 100, and Guardian summons monster 122. These cannot be changed at present.)

In theory, if we simply set their race to "Undead" this should be handled automatically. In practice, though, "Undead" is not a valid player race (it's only valid for monsters), so that would have to be dealt with first.

Well, I meant for a specific scenario where being undead was the backstory, using a premade character/s taking whatever traits available to normal players that seem the most undead-ish.

Having "undead" as a player race to use in general would be fiddly, unless it should be established in the background that throughtot Exile undead are tolerated as much as everyone else, holy ground isn't holy enough to keep them out (and split the party every time they visit a temple), priests are sporting enough not to cast turn/dispel undead at PCs etc.

Sliths and nephils are minority groups, but the living dead would likely be something else.

Yes. Change the "summon type" to "No summon" in the monster Abilities dialog. (Certain specific monsters are also summoned by certain spells; if I recall correctly, Daemon summons monster 85, Summon Spirit summons monster 65, Summon Host summons that and monster 126, Sticks to Snakes summons monsters 99 and 100, and Guardian summons monster 122. These cannot be changed at present.)

Ah, ok, thanks.

Having "undead" as a player race to use in general would be fiddly, unless it should be established in the background that throughtot Exile undead are tolerated as much as everyone else, holy ground isn't holy enough to keep them out (and split the party every time they visit a temple), priests are sporting enough not to cast turn/dispel undead at PCs etc.
Even if undead is made a valid player race, I probably wouldn't include it in the regular Traits dialog; you'd have to get the race either by a special node (either "set race to undead" or "undead join party") or by using the character editor.

• 2 months later...

This is all very interesting. I like Thaluikhain's idea. After all, if you start out as undead, how did you BECOME undead in the first place? It's not a real race even : there could be undead humans and undead nephilim and undead "species name here". Heck, there could be undead squirrels. Maybe there could be an undead squirrel named meepus boink. Yeah. Bump! (wait. this thread doesn't need to be bumped...)

• 1 month later...

watered down undead traits to make a player race would be reasonable. however, it would help if there was a node specifically for targeting X race & triggering Y reaction9like in exile 3 with the surface kitties leaving you alone or letting you pass if you have 1 in the party. I don't think that exists, but I could be wrong. either way it should so be included in the system.